Captain
# 1 Back to Basics Video Tutorials
09-18-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm doing a new round of video tutorials to help new authors learn the toolset. These air with Primetime UGC. But, I'll link each one of them in this thread as they get posted. Please leave feedback.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Last edited by kirksplat; 04-03-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Captain
# 2
09-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Nice tutorial. However, there is one detail that is kind of misleading.

At about 1:30, the screen claims that project slots cost 10K Dilithium each. In reality, it's 10K for a starter pack of four slots, and from then it's 7K for two.

Just a little nitpick.
Captain
# 3
09-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
Nice tutorial. However, there is one detail that is kind of misleading.

At about 1:30, the screen claims that project slots cost 10K Dilithium each. In reality, it's 10K for a starter pack of four slots, and from then it's 7K for two.

Just a little nitpick.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that, more like "foundry slots cost 12k," when I meant you get more than one with the purchase. Sorry about that.
Career Officer
# 4
09-18-2012, 11:08 PM
nice to see something "new"ish. all i got add is try to keep the sound level even.
Captain
# 5
09-28-2012, 12:38 PM
added part 2. Please share feedback.
Captain
# 6
09-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
# 7
09-28-2012, 01:58 PM
I've played in the Foundry before Season 6 and a little bit afterward, so this material isn't entirely new to me.

Part 1 was a good overview, but it felt like you stopped too soon. If I were a new Author, I'd be wanting more information.

I think the hint to start out creating a map instead of messing with the storyboard was a good one.

If you try to create a new map directly from the storyboard, I agree that it seems confusing. If you create the new map first, you will see it appear in the storyboard view but even then you really won't use it that way. As soon as you create an objective in the storyboard and assign it an object from one of the maps, the map assignment takes care of itself.

Part 2 was really interesting. I liked how you built a tunnel out of Borg cubes! I haven't used multi-select yet, so that part was new information. I didn't quite catch the keystrokes you called out for various operations... it would be handy if you threw up captions for those.

I also appreciate knowing that placing objects exactly on top of each other will cause flicker. The slight offset is a great workaround!

I've always left the 'snap to' options enabled because I didn't really understand what they did. That was useful, too.

If I had any recommendation, I'd like to see parts 1 and 2 as one single tutorial. That way the fledgling Author gets a taste of map creation and understands where to get started.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
# 8
09-28-2012, 04:38 PM
thanks for the feedback bluegeek. Because these are mini-tutorials that air with Primetime UGC, I have to keep them as concise as possible. It's amazing how long they get if I just want to cover a few things.

Part 3 is nearly 15 minutes long, and I'm only trying to explain a few things here and there, like doors and the differences between a Cryptic map and a custom map.
Career Officer
# 9
09-29-2012, 12:54 AM
Yea! New tutorials!!!

Can't wait to see all the new tricks with the foundry improvements
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
09-29-2012, 05:19 PM
Kirkfat does an amazing job with these tutorials. If you do not catch them on PrimetimeUGC, they are always available on the StarbaseUGC website.