Lt. Commander
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 139
# 21
04-01-2013, 09:51 PM
I have seen "Vesta" to be the answer several times, why is that? It seems like the "Vesta" in inferior to several of the "Fleet" ships. Is it because the Vesta can mount cannons? In which case then the answer is still fly an an escort.

How does the Atrox do? Do you fly it with full weapons power, or aux power?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,478
# 22
04-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainobvious09 View Post
I have seen "Vesta" to be the answer several times, why is that? It seems like the "Vesta" in inferior to several of the "Fleet" ships. Is it because the Vesta can mount cannons? In which case then the answer is still fly an an escort.

How does the Atrox do? Do you fly it with full weapons power, or aux power?
The Vesta's cannons use aux instead of weapons power. That means you can run 125 aux and get max damage from the cannons as well as the full benefit from any sci skills you use. It also has a hangar bay that you can use to further specialize. Fighters for more damage, Delta Fliers for more shield drains, Danubes for tractor beam control, etc. It also comes with some nifty consoles. The death ray that it has also scales off of aux power. The universal slots on it are nice as well. It isn't going to match the damage of a tacscort (that I have seen anyway) but it makes playing science so much more bearable. Atrox I have no experience with.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009
Captain
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,868
# 23
04-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lan451 View Post
The Vesta's cannons use aux instead of weapons power. That means you can run 125 aux and get max damage from the cannons as well as the full benefit from any sci skills you use. It also has a hangar bay that you can use to further specialize. Fighters for more damage, Delta Fliers for more shield drains, Danubes for tractor beam control, etc. It also comes with some nifty consoles. The death ray that it has also scales off of aux power. The universal slots on it are nice as well. It isn't going to match the damage of a tacscort (that I have seen anyway) but it makes playing science so much more bearable. Atrox I have no experience with.
It's posts like this that have me very much leaning towards a Vesta. I'm absolutely in love with my Luna, but it's not all that bearable in certain types of content. I have a character that already uses escorts so when I want some carefree escort fun I log in that character. I don't really want to put this character in an escort. (I also have a character who flies cruisers and was my main for over a year, so I've already done that to death. In fact, my very first character started out flying science ships, but I switched to the cruiser flying main after the first patch, and have had my fill of cruisers).

I'm just looking for a science ship that is fun. And so far, it seems the Vesta gets the most support on the forums.

Hmmmmmm.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,462
# 24
04-01-2013, 11:11 PM
I'd also suggest Recluse being worth a look. My Science captain flies this with a science focus, and generally breaks everything.

Build details (slightly outdated, but close enough)

Action footage

Basically it's science but avoids all the crappy science that doesn't work. And has demon hordes at its command.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,215
# 25
04-02-2013, 06:20 AM
Snoggy, the Vesta is a fine ship, but I prefer my Atrox to her.

IMO, it comes down to weather or not turning an Atrox is worth an extra 1-2k DPS.

YMMV, but my Atrox whips the snot out of my Vesta. Of course, the Vesta can actually turn around in a hurry...

Edit: And when you get bored with your DPS, you can kit her out as an amazing sci tank.
Vice Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard

Last edited by kimmym; 04-02-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,096
# 26
04-02-2013, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
It's posts like this that have me very much leaning towards a Vesta. I'm absolutely in love with my Luna, but it's not all that bearable in certain types of content. I have a character that already uses escorts so when I want some carefree escort fun I log in that character. I don't really want to put this character in an escort. (I also have a character who flies cruisers and was my main for over a year, so I've already done that to death. In fact, my very first character started out flying science ships, but I switched to the cruiser flying main after the first patch, and have had my fill of cruisers).

I'm just looking for a science ship that is fun. And so far, it seems the Vesta gets the most support on the forums.

Hmmmmmm.
The Vesta is, frankly, awesome in my opinion. With the possible exception of the Wells class, it's the best choice of sci ship. It does good DPS (NOT escort level, but respectable nonetheless) and it's consoles/abilities make it pure fun to fly.

This doesn't change the fact it's main forte's are healing (and crowd control), which are basically redundant outside of PvP. Most escorts can tank pretty well anyway, and most of the ones who do benefit from a heal or two don't really care - I've even known one or two who were quite adverse to receiving assistance, the implication being that it was some kind of insult that I thought they even needed assistance.

Sorry, my opinion only, but the fact remains that if I join an instance of ISE/Azure rescue etc etc in my Vesta, and there are two or more escorts present, I may as well just sit at the spawn point because I can't do the DPS that they do, they don't really want to be healed (if they even need to be) and the enemy is, more often than not, dead before crowd control can make any difference.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,478
# 27
04-02-2013, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
It's posts like this that have me very much leaning towards a Vesta. I'm absolutely in love with my Luna, but it's not all that bearable in certain types of content. I have a character that already uses escorts so when I want some carefree escort fun I log in that character. I don't really want to put this character in an escort. (I also have a character who flies cruisers and was my main for over a year, so I've already done that to death. In fact, my very first character started out flying science ships, but I switched to the cruiser flying main after the first patch, and have had my fill of cruisers).

I'm just looking for a science ship that is fun. And so far, it seems the Vesta gets the most support on the forums.

Hmmmmmm.
Yeah I was in the same position just a few days ago. I originally flew a Luna myself and then switched to the Intrepid Retrofit with my at the time VA token. That was before F2P launch though so I was really looking for a new ship to change things up. I would say that if you want to measure the Vesta against other carriers like the Recluse or Atrox it all depends on your playstyle rather than which ship is better. I do very well in my Vesta but I've seen some seriously mean captains in an Atrox. Ran a KASE yesterday with an Atrox captain and the two of us demolished our side of the map before the other 3 guys had taken down both of their transformers, ha!

Anyways if you want to see if you would like an Atrox, you can do what I did and go fly around in a Vo'Quv for a while. It's very similar to the Atrox except for a few modifiers I think. You can get a good feel for how it flies there. I eventually settled on the Vesta, but I had other reasons for that too. Basically I have this weird thing about having my Fed captains only flying Fed ships. Same with my Klingon, he flies only Klingon ships. But yeah, that's just my own personal issue as to why I went with the Vesta in the end lol. The other ships are perfectly fine, I'm just weird like that.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 139
# 28
04-02-2013, 10:14 AM
I have a Vo'Quv (the huge Klingon "thing" carrier) on red side, but I really got tired of taking 10 minutes to loot after missions (turning around), though this was back in the day when the loot radius was much smaller. I moved on to the Kar'Fi carrier which I still have on my Klingon Sci, and I love the "Catfish" (what we call it)

I picked up a 3 pack of Vesta, so at this point my question is... what the heck do I do with it?

I stuck 2 aux cannons and a beam in front, and 2 turrets and a beam in the rear (beams for target sub-system, not sure how good it works though)
Running basically full aux, with tractor beam 1, tacheon beam 1, gw3, and the usual heal powers ST3, HE3, etc...

Thus far I really like it, but I need help on how to optimize it.

Does anyone have a good post on making the Vesta a beast?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,691
# 29
04-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepantsparty View Post
Fly a carrier or a Vesta for PvE - they have all the skills of a normal science ship while ALSO doing 2-3 times the damage.
This is mostly true, or you could try an all kinetic build and max out your Aux power setting.

Alternatively you can run with full power to weapons (6 beam broadsides are about what cruisers get anyway so you'd only be loosing out on the 180 torp) and make up (or even consider it extra bonus) DPS and debuffing from your sci powers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror01 View Post
....you are a bad starship captain and you should feel bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyonharmonic View Post
However, I think with regard to the Romulan Republic player characters/npcs, it all comes down to a finite point:

These are not the Romulans from the shows.
Ensign
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7
# 30
04-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Hopefully someone doesn't mind answering some Vesta questions:
Is it the cannons that come with the ship that use aux power or can one load any cannons in the vessel and have it draw aux power?
Does it come with just one frontal cannon? and how does the cannon compare with other X11 cannons?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers these question. Appreciated.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:13 PM.