Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 471
# 41
04-01-2013, 05:04 PM
I have yet to see how Cryptic are going to encourage people to play as either Federation or Klingons when you can play as Romulan, get all the romulan ships etc and STILL get everything the Federation/Klingon would have gotten.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 431
# 42
04-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
I think Terrilynn's methodology makes Cryptic look bad there. There's no way that many are off topic and then if you do that, you wind up with 45% negative or only 25% positive.
Actually reading how she defined off-topic does fit. If someone were just replying to another poster's statement about star trek canon/storyline with a remark, it would have been considered off-topic for her tally. I didn't bother reading the massive thread to the same length she did did, but it fit with my initial impression.

One of the nice things though about this. You can make your own tally, with your definitions if you are so inclined. I would expect with a more strict definition of off-topic you'll find neutral going up, and the number of posts/acct going up.

However, if someone does do a similar assessment for this thread, please put my post into Off-Topic .
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,202
# 43
04-01-2013, 05:11 PM
You should roll a KDF and wait for 10 minutes for your starbase incursion to pop. And try to convince people to build a new starbase.

The only element i dislike is romulans being able to fly kdf or fed ships - I'm ok with aligned romulans, that makes sense gameplay and resource-wise, but having them flying other faction ships is just too much.

I'm happy to see that the may uptade is overally well designed, and I think people should tone down a bit. Having too high expectations makes little sense considering that the update has to please most people with limited development resources, and I think they're doing quite well until now. Yes it's not perfect and yes there are some unpleasant decisions, but this is just small details.

I'm happy with the fact that we can leech from existing fleets. I have been levelling up 3 chars to max rep, i'm still grinding fleetmarks for my two fleets, and another new starbase, fleet, and 1 or 2 chars would have been too much to do for me, and I'm no casual (I play 4h or so a day, more during the weekend). How could people do more than I do without having no life but playing STO all day long? A fully independent faction isn't reasonable. Not at all. Not yet. Unless we get a ton of new fleetmark missions with elite level ones, a break on new reputations, new gear, diltihium starbase projects, and so on. This alignment is a really great option.

I think it's still going to be a Romulan faction because you have your romulan homeworld, bases, and so on. I'm also happy with the "no alien" policy. This is the best decision they made. This faction is going to make sense!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 970
# 44
04-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Grrr... I just noticed something.

I have been calling Terilynn Shull a he, for I know a guy by the name of Terilynn.

I apologize for the mix up. I went back to fix my errors.

Last edited by linyive; 04-01-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,926
# 45
04-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
You should roll a KDF and wait for 10 minutes for your starbase incursion to pop. And try to convince people to build a new starbase.

The only element i dislike is romulans being able to fly kdf or fed ships - I'm ok with aligned romulans, that makes sense gameplay and resource-wise, but having them flying other faction ships is just too much.

I'm happy to see that the may uptade is overally well designed, and I think people should tone down a bit. Having too high expectations makes little sense considering that the update has to please most people with limited development resources, and I think they're doing quite well until now. Yes it's not perfect and yes there are some unpleasant decisions, but this is just small details.

I'm happy with the fact that we can leech from existing fleets. I have been levelling up 3 chars to max rep, i'm still grinding fleetmarks for my two fleets, and another new starbase, fleet, and 1 or 2 chars would have been too much to do for me, and I'm no casual (I play 4h or so a day, more during the weekend). How could people do more than I do without having no life but playing STO all day long? A fully independent faction isn't reasonable. Not at all. Not yet. Unless we get a ton of new fleetmark missions with elite level ones, a break on new reputations, new gear, diltihium starbase projects, and so on. This alignment is a really great option.

I think it's still going to be a Romulan faction because you have your romulan homeworld, bases, and so on. I'm also happy with the "no alien" policy. This is the best decision they made. This faction is going to make sense!
I agree. The only thing I have a problem with is the fact that Romulans can fly klingon and starfleet ships too.

Romulan and lockbox ships would be fine for the Romulans, it would make them more unique.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,439
# 46
04-01-2013, 05:18 PM
If it means anything to you Brandon, I'm still excited.

The only thing I don't like is Romulans flying Fed and KDF ships.... Since Mr D said that Romulans do have a full ship progression from T1 up to T5, it shouldn't be necessary.

If the Romulan story missions come even close to the better missions in the game already, I will very much enjoy them, I'm sure.

Now, give me my Scimitar Fleet Carrier with Elite D'deridex pets and I will forever be thankful.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,202
# 47
04-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalelena View Post
When we are saying that the majority dissaproves, that means the majority has to disapprove. Neutral is not dissaproval.


And I was in that thread, and I had an argument with just one person who posted about rage for like 3 pages. So I know it from experience.
Happy people get their stuff and keep quiet, hoping that what they like lasts some time. When someone says something, especially on the internet, expect him to be unhappy. That's one of the rules of the internet. And no, neutral is neutral.

You may think unhappy peps are in a majority but it's something highly debatable. Everyone is just focusing on a detail they don't like and discuss it ad nauseum because they fear for their beloved federation.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,927
# 48
04-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
And I guess you missed the part where she took one single thread (which wasn't even the consolidated feedback thread that Bran keeps adding to) as the be-all and end-all of feedback on the Romulan situation, without even bothering to lay out why people were unhappy.

She basically made the argument that anyone who didn't like the announcement was a giant whiner.
Her sampling was from the largest thread regarding that announcement. I'd say that's a fair enough sample size to make her results sound, albeit not %100 accurate.

And I think you're reading a bit too much into her closing paragraphs. It was less "stop whining" and more "stop blowing things out of proportion".
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,202
# 49
04-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
Her sampling was from the largest thread regarding that announcement. I'd say that's a fair enough sample size to make her results sound, albeit not %100 accurate.

And I think you're reading a bit too much into her closing paragraphs. It was less "stop whining" and more "stop blowing things out of proportion".
And there's another funny fact: 2M accounts (with maybe 10-15% active accounts), 71 unhappy people. I think it's a fair deal.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,481
# 50
04-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudoku7 View Post
Actually reading how she defined off-topic does fit. If someone were just replying to another poster's statement about star trek canon/storyline with a remark, it would have been considered off-topic for her tally. I didn't bother reading the massive thread to the same length she did did, but it fit with my initial impression.

One of the nice things though about this. You can make your own tally, with your definitions if you are so inclined. I would expect with a more strict definition of off-topic you'll find neutral going up, and the number of posts/acct going up.

However, if someone does do a similar assessment for this thread, please put my post into Off-Topic .
I'm saying I think she was probably pretty quick to make that assumption about posts that were actually on topic. And if you're going to throw those posts out, throw them out of the percentage ranking. Which means that people's posts are, by volume, 14% positive about the expansion, 41% neutral, and 45% negative.

Now, even allowing that negative posters post 85% more often than positive posters... We don't know how often neutral posters reply in response to the other two groups. But lets adjust for posting frequency on the positive side.

Here's the basic methodology:

Start off assuming 14 positive, 45 negative, and 41 neutral posts in a 100 post sample.

Adjust up the number of positive by 85% to allow for lower posting frequency.

You now have 26 positive, 45 negative, 41 neutral.

That brings the numbers around to:

40% negative. 23% positive. 37% neutral.

Now, yes, that means either way that negative posters are the minority. But the minority (especially a 40% one) is not strategically insignificant. It's not "break out the cake and to heck with the haters." It's serious sleeve rolling, coffee brewing, and pacing around the whiteboard time. And I'm sure they're already doing that but probably need to look at doing it more if 40% of your target for a free product is turned off by it.

I LIKE Cryptic's plan for the expansion overall. I like the ideas I'm seeing. I think it all stems from a good place, a place of creativity applied to dealing with challenges in game design. But I think that if they don't consider a few major changes, this is going to be a disappointment for them. The hole in the bucket is bigger than previously thought and it's time to get some really creative, adaptive brainstorming in, to let the criticism in and take it honestly and use it constructively. I don't expect Cryptic can just bend over backwards for every critic but I think these kinds of numbers really, really suggest the need for feedback and critical re-examination... and if they listen to Terilynn's dismissively calm take on this, they're going to wind up with a bruised lip and black eye in three months, taking a lot of this back to the drawing board.

If they treat it like an emergency now, it will save them money. You don't say:

- "Good news! My wife is only 40% sure she's going to divorce me!"
- "The doctor only gives me a 40% chance it's cancer!"
- "Revenue is down by a negligible 40% this quarter!"

You grit your teeth. You say, "We've got 60% we can work with." And you set out to understand, conquer, and convert as much of that remaining 40% that you can, while trying to electrify that 37% that's saying, "Meh. It's okay." (Because that's not great either.)

Last edited by stoleviathan99; 04-01-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:55 AM.