Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Captain
# 11
04-01-2013, 05:55 PM
http://youtu.be/kh9PYtmVybU

Its a game... for goodness sake!

Enjoy it for what it is...
Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo...
Survivor of Romulus
# 12
04-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
Maybe you should quit pugging STFs
Have you even looked at the Omega rep rewards??

BORG Doffs
There are Borg VA's out there
Omega force is mostly borged out
thus it never defeats the Borg
Empire Veteran
# 13
04-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Fairly simple
The Federation needs the manpower

They are losing the Borg war
90% of starfleet ships are partly assimilated and many have borg crew
A vast number of Starfleet officers ARE Borg

An infusion of skilled warriors , high quality ships and new tech is vitally needed

after all most of Omega force is Borg now
THE FEDS? You must be joking.... KDF is almost dead.. but I ma happy they atleast get content now. The KDF needs more warriors.. FEDs don;t need more federation cadets!
R'tolves Will Spread Thier Peace and Will Prevail Over the Hostiles Who Dare Hurt Such A Isolationist Consitutional Monarchy!

Empire Veteran
# 14
04-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Why would they?

You saying they wouldn't trust the Romulans aside, the Federation is pretty much all ABOUT trusting, preferring not to fight unless necessary, even with the multi-front war going on. And this group of Romulans led by D'Tan is willing to be friends... and since the Federation loves having friends, that one was obvious

The KDF's version is more complicated (and honestly, more flimsy on the surface). They are honorable warriors, and the Romulans are the exact opposite, and they both know that's the case with each other...

But there is more to dealings with races than past experiences. The Romulans have potential territory they can conquer, tech they can share with the KDF if they're peaceful enough, and otherwise secretly gain valuable intel they couldn't otherwise get from sectors away. So I imagine the KDF are playing nice to gain a strategic advantage, then later they can plan and strike.

Let these Romulan 'allies' deal with some issues the KDF would otherwise face, and they can send more resources to other endeavors. Then they can deal with the other splintered factions of the Romulan Empire, weaken them and take them over piece by piece. Sometimes plans take time

So they're playing nice for now, but always with an eye on them. Keep your allies close, but your enemies closer, and all Klingons know it could easily turn ugly... and they're ready for it
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.
Survivor of Romulus
# 15
04-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blagorm View Post
THE FEDS? You must be joking.... KDF is almost dead.. but I ma happy they atleast get content now. The KDF needs more warriors.. FEDs don;t need more federation cadets!
Go stand in ESD
count the Borg , Cardassians , people in civilian gear and mock Romulans

Go do some Stfs
Count the Borg , Borg infected ships , and alien mercenary ships

Starfleet has hardly any starfleet ships and very few starfleet officers.

Infact figure in the pirates , ferengi , Mirror universe and so on they are few in number

The Klingons HAVE Warriors , what they really need are Tailors , hairdressers and of course Womens liberation
Captain
# 16
04-01-2013, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by age03 View Post
Why do the Feds as well as the Kdf have to be allied with the Romulans.The Federation would never trust the romulans or have we become so niave to know better?

The Kdf were once allied to the romulans and know very well how dishonourable they can be.Why would they trust them a second time?

I doubt eithe race would trust the romulans no matter what they have been through it was there own fault.

The Federation didn't do much for the Klingons after Praxis except agree to a peace treaty which is now broken by them.
Aligning the Romulans with the Klingons and Feds makes sense. If you go back to watch "Star Trek: the Next Generation", the Romulans attempted to manipulate power within the Klingon Empire. Commander Sela sided with the House of Duras, so that she can build a power base with the Klingons.

See Episodes: "Redemption I " and Redeption II".

During the series "Deep Space Nine", the Romulans joined forced with the Federation. Sisko was responsible for bringing the Romulans into the Dominion War.

See episode: "In the Pale Moonlight" & All of Season Seven.

At the end of the movie "Star Trek: Nemesis", the Romulans were warming up to the idea of peace. When the Enterprise fought against Shinzon, 'The Battle of the Bassen Rift', Commander Donatra was sent to aid Picard's efforts. As you watched the Romulans fight along side the Federation, you want to jump out of your seat saying, "YEAAAAHHHHH!"

While the main Romulan government is warming up to the Federation, the Tal Shiar have been warming up with the Klingons. Its a silent and internal power struggle.

Last edited by linyive; 04-01-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Rihannsu
# 17
04-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Go stand in ESD
count the Borg , Cardassians , people in civilian gear and mock Romulans

Go do some Stfs
Count the Borg , Borg infected ships , and alien mercenary ships
HEY! I resemble that remark!

Seriously though, Fed-side I fly 2 Breen ships, and most of my chars have some attribute that doesn't quite fit with the way the Federation is normally depicted.

Melati Kusumu: If you read her Bio she's a Kriosian/Orion hybrid.
Meghan Eridian: Mirror Universe Vorta who flies a Nebula that is outfitted with a LOT of Borg tech.
Chuft: Kzinti (the game thinks he's a Caitian though)
Drexela: Joined Trill with Borg implants. Flies a D'Kyr outfitted with Romulan tech.
7 of 13: Borg, flies a Breen ship
Carnlan Rixx: flies a Breen ship
Monica Rappaccini: human with cybernetics
Sekkoth: Vulcan/Romulan hybrid.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Rihannsu
# 18
04-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
Aligning the Romulans with the Klingons and Feds makes sense. If you go back to watch "Star Trek: the Next Generation", the Romulans attempted to manipulate power within the Klingon Empire. Commander Sela sided with the House of Duras, so that she can build a power base with the Klingons.

See Episodes: "Redemption I " and Redeption II".

During the series "Deep Space Nine", the Romulans joined forced with the Federation. Sisko was responsible for bringing the Romulans into the Dominion War.

See episode: "In the Pale Moonlight" & All of Season Seven.

At the end of the movie "Star Trek: Nemesis", the Romulans were warming up to the idea of peace. When the Enterprise fought against Shinzon, 'The Battle of the Bassen Rift', Commander Donatra was sent to aid Picard's efforts. As you watched the Romulans fight along side the Federation, you want to jump out of your seat saying, "YEAAAAHHHHH!"

While the main Romulan government is warming up to the Federation, the Tal Shiar have been warming up with the Klingons. Its a silent and internal power struggle.
Yeah, Donatra actually said that she considered Picard an ally.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-01-2013, 08:30 PM
From what I gather by the Romulan Mystery feature episode, the
Imperial Empire should be interested in the Reman Resistance due
to their similar mindset in the heat of battle.

The Romulans on the other hand, well I suppose.. would draw the
interest of the Vulcans with their Unificationist movement, which is
only logical to further garner the intrigue of the Federation.

So all in all, from Star Trek Online developed lore, both sides should
see them as potential allies or vassals. Probably in all due to the Star
Empire splintering and with it, romulan order, as well as their pride.
Captain
# 20
04-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by age03 View Post
Why do the Feds as well as the Kdf have to be allied with the Romulans.The Federation would never trust the romulans or have we become so niave to know better?

The Kdf were once allied to the romulans and know very well how dishonourable they can be.Why would they trust them a second time?

I doubt eithe race would trust the romulans no matter what they have been through it was there own fault.

The Federation didn't do much for the Klingons after Praxis except agree to a peace treaty which is now broken by them.
The New Romulan Republic is not the Romulan Star Empire and the Federation and the KDF have both invested a lot of resources into making it work.

The Remans are not the Romulan Star Empire, though they have been slaves to it for over two centuries they were never truly a participating member. It certainly has shaped their behavior.

Also, the Federation fought a war with the cardassians, but aren't enemies to them now.

America fought both France and England. In fact, England burned the whitehouse to the ground and sacked several major American ports. Didn't stop America allying with them later on. Look into the Napoleonic wars sometime and watch alliances shift, it's almost impossible to track it all.

Political needs shift. Military needs shift. Governments change. People change. And the Federation are idealists while the Klingon Empire is an opportunist. The Feds want to believe the New Romulan Republic has Vulcan ideals because their leader was trained by Spock. The Klingons hope that the feds will spend too many resources propping up a doomed government and if they (klings) get in on the ground floor they (klings again) can get technology and land in return for "support". Not to mention when (not if) it all falls apart, they can have fleets "guarding" critical locations throughout the Republic. Possibly (some might say probably) within easy striking distance of Federation systems.

Really, given the realities of the STO story, it's easy to see why both sides would want to ally with the Republic. Only the Klingons might want to ally with the Star Empire, and in some ways I think the Iconian influence might make it all the more appealing to them.

The biggest problem I see is that many fans didn't want to play romulans, they wanted to play as the Star Empire. Cryptic gave us the New Romulan Republic, which isn't want players were asking for.

However, there's always hope that the story makes it more interesting.