Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Captain
# 21
04-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Ideally neither the Fed nor the KDF would be options for players to ally with. I don't mind players of the KDF or FED playing Romulans, and I didn't mind the possibility that there would be a playable KDF/FED Romulan to faucilitate people who want to play a Romulan member of the KDF or FED. In fact, I expected this to be the case. I did *not* expect this faction split + protectorate situation we are now facing. If Cryptic wanted to give the playerbase the option to play as Romulan members of the KDF/FED, there is the established precedent of the 'Playable Federation Klingon' in the zen store to draw upon. I doubt that very many if any players would be upset with that. Their current plan so far seems to be designed to irritate players with every concievable design feature (No RSE, No ROM starbases, wierd protectorate system, KDF and FED Rommies cannot be in same fleet, Rommies get better ship selection from starbases than FED/KDF, Romulan ships in lockboxes, Hybrid species locked behind paywall, etc)
Career Officer
# 22
04-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by age03 View Post
Why do the Feds as well as the Kdf have to be allied with Romulans?
Cause Cryptic saw how awesome the WoW Pandas are and had to copy it!
or
Cryptic too lazy (ok, low on manpower/money) to make a true 3rd faction.
or
Making a true 3rd faction is hard when there's not a true 2nd one.
or
Making a 3rd faction is kinda hard to pull off in a team A vs team B environment.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Captain
# 23
04-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
Aligning the Romulans with the Klingons and Feds makes sense. If you go back to watch "Star Trek: the Next Generation", the Romulans attempted to manipulate power within the Klingon Empire. Commander Sela sided with the House of Duras, so that she can build a power base with the Klingons.

See Episodes: "Redemption I " and Redeption II".
I hve seen that episode and I still the Fed are being completly niave you would never see this take place in the 23C.

Quote:
During the series "Deep Space Nine", the Romulans joined forced with the Federation. Sisko was responsible for bringing the Romulans into the Dominion War.

See episode: "In the Pale Moonlight" & All of Season Seven.
They may have but whos interset were they really protecting or was it a way into the Gamma quadrant?

Quote:
At the end of the movie "Star Trek: Nemesis", the Romulans were warming up to the idea of peace. When the Enterprise fought against Shinzon, 'The Battle of the Bassen Rift', Commander Donatra was sent to aid Picard's efforts. As you watched the Romulans fight along side the Federation, you want to jump out of your seat saying, "YEAAAAHHHHH!"

While the main Romulan government is warming up to the Federation, the Tal Shiar have been warming up with the Klingons. Its a silent and internal power struggle.
They may have but what were thay actually striving for before the senate was killed off.

beside that was a very poor written script and the movie lost money.
Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
Star Trek Gamers
Lieutenant
# 24
04-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acoldt View Post
Cryptic, you have 2 months, give us a real faction.
^ This. Please. For the love of god.