Republic Veteran
I think the new faction is going to be great. I'm sure you all have put a tremendous amount of work into it. Many are raging about the lack of starbases and such, but, as dstahl said "For now, the New Romulans are just getting their feet on the ground and must look to the planet New Romulus as their new home and rely on the Starbases of their ally for support."
This makes crystal clear perfect sense. I would much rather play 50 levels of Romulan content and worry about the finer points being fleshed out later.

That being said, let's be honest, we know if there is ship sharing allowed that the proverbial umbilical cord will never be severed. It's bad enough that we have Cardassian, Dominion and Ferengi ships running around in the Federation and KDF*(see footnote for side point), but if we have Romulans with Galaxy Class cruisers or B'rel class birds of prey, that's what you call "set in stone," and the link will never be broken.

I can live with literally everything else as a transitional phase (even if it lasts a long while), but please I implore you; Do not allow Romulans to use Federation or KDF ships or vice-versa!

We (the kind portion of the player base) thank you for your long and hard hours, (you guys totally deserve to go back to 5 day weeks!) and I encourage you to take to heart the suggestion about ship sharing.

*An idea: Eventually Cardassians and later the Dominion, and perhaps even eventually somewhere down the road, the Ferengi will get their number called to become playable factions of their own! When this happens, in an effort to have all ships in their proper fleets, I think the players with such ships that do not belong to their faction should be offered some enticing offer to encourage them to part with their ship (Maybe 100 million energy credits and 100k dilithium or something). I would prefer it not be optional, but I'm sure people would complain if it were forced upon them.
Thanks for the expansion that had "as much content as the last"
9 Episodes = 30+ episodes...?

It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
Empire Veteran
# 2
04-01-2013, 06:59 PM
This I agree and can live with. On a side note however, did you know that the B'rel was originally slated to be a Romulan ship which the Klingon commander in Search for Spock stole from the Romulans?
"We are the United Federation of Planets and we come in peace....unless you have something we want, or refuse to join us, then you have no choice."
Better dead then Fed!
Career Officer
# 3
04-01-2013, 07:30 PM
i hope its transitional..

but honestly, everyone makes it sound like the romulans didnt have hundreds of lightyears of territory.. like they only lived on romulus and remus.. and that the destruction left like 5 romulans..

honestly, the destruction of the home world would suck, and blah blah, but it wouldnt be as crippling as cryptic is making it out to be..
Career Officer
# 4
04-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttenham View Post

but honestly, everyone makes it sound like the romulans didnt have hundreds of lightyears of territory.. like they only lived on romulus and remus.. and that the destruction left like 5 romulans..

honestly, the destruction of the home world would suck, and blah blah, but it wouldnt be as crippling as cryptic is making it out to be..
The Destruction left a power vacuum; One which many different figures within the RSE have been trying to exploit and fight over. This has left the RSE in a state of weakness since it no longer has a central authority operating all of it.
Captain
# 5
04-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
The Destruction left a power vacuum; One which many different figures within the RSE have been trying to exploit and fight over. This has left the RSE in a state of weakness since it no longer has a central authority operating all of it.
yes, that doesn't address why the Romulan faction that came out of that mess had to be the Romulan Republic instead of the RSE. Multiple factions coming out of this is not entirely implausable, but we didn't need to have the RR as the player faction and the RSE as an NPC faction when one is an emerging faction with little in the way of Romulan 'flavor' and the other has an established power base and is as Romulan as you can get. We could have been rebuilding and stabilizing the RSE instead of going off on our own, and Cryptic probably could have avoided a lot of the anger they are gettign right now if they had gone in that direction.

As for the original post, I agree wholeheartedly. The sharing of ships, by Lockbox and starbase really blends the lines between the Rommies and their allies. The act of forcing Romulans to choose who to ally with already makes their faction look weak and unappealing, but making them rely on the starbases and ships of others really doesn't do it any further favors. I agree about the being set in stone thing. I would rather have less content but more room to develop the faction, the current information we have gives the picture of the ROmulans beign painted into a corner.
Captain
# 6
04-01-2013, 08:02 PM
I completely agree with the OP. Let the Republic have their ally's equipment and uniforms, but starships is a bit too much.

Or ... what if Romulans characters can obtain an ally's ship, but instead of being able to fly it, they can have it reverse engineered to improve their warbird? That sounds like it would make everyone happy - the Feds/KDF don't have to lose their unique ships, and the Romulans can still benefit from their ally's ships.
Lieutenant
# 7
04-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
Well, it's a bit of a plothole in STO in that there really shouldn't be any surviving systems within the radius of the blast from Hobus, as anything closer to Hobus than Romulus shouldn't exist in any meaningful fashion. The Abrahms movie played it up as a threat to the galaxy at large. If you take the distance between the Hobus star system and the Romulus star system as a rough radius for the Hobus supernova, it actually takes out about half the territory shown as Romulan on the in-game map.
Captain
# 8
04-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catoblepasbeta View Post
yes, that doesn't address why the Romulan faction that came out of that mess had to be the Romulan Republic instead of the RSE. Multiple factions coming out of this is not entirely implausable, but we didn't need to have the RR as the player faction and the RSE as an NPC faction when one is an emerging faction with little in the way of Romulan 'flavor' and the other has an established power base and is as Romulan as you can get. We could have been rebuilding and stabilizing the RSE instead of going off on our own, and Cryptic probably could have avoided a lot of the anger they are gettign right now if they had gone in that direction.

As for the original post, I agree wholeheartedly. The sharing of ships, by Lockbox and starbase really blends the lines between the Rommies and their allies. The act of forcing Romulans to choose who to ally with already makes their faction look weak and unappealing, but making them rely on the starbases and ships of others really doesn't do it any further favors. I agree about the being set in stone thing. I would rather have less content but more room to develop the faction, the current information we have gives the picture of the ROmulans beign painted into a corner.

As a bonus if we could actually be the RSE then D'Tan and his little play house could continue to be available to other factions for rep grinding. There would a lot of opportunity for story and drama if Romulan players were actively fighting/undermining the RR and D'Tan while Feds/Klings were trying to ally with him.

Romulans are the unpredictable bad guys scheming and plotting behind your back. It sounds like Cryptic wants to turn them into pseudo-Feds and completely ruin what makes them unique.

If Romulans needed an ally, it should have been KDF. Feds are dominant both in canon (see Dominion war) and in game. It makes sense for Romulans to side with KDF (while possibly planning to back-stab at the right moment). It ties in with Sela nicely and her Klingon connections. It could revitalize PvP and boost KDF pop.

Of course Cryptic decides to do the opposite to placate Fed players.

<ka-ching>
Commander
# 9
04-01-2013, 09:15 PM
I agree for the most part.

Warbirds should only be available to Romulans and access to ally ships should go only up to T3 or T4 at the most.

As for the Romulan Republic story itself I have to withhold judgement until it's out to decide.

Legacy of Romulus - Closed Beta - Round 1 Playtester
Career Officer
# 10
04-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttenham View Post

To be fair it wasn't cryptic here. This destroy the capital and everything else falls apart was actually created by Abrams and the way was paved by Nemesis. This is what happens when the creative team of a movie/show don't understand how large polities work and its exasperated by a massive misunderstanding of Romulan politics and culture.