Lt. Commander
# 1 The 18%
04-02-2013, 04:47 AM
We were once told that the KDF totaled only 18% of the player base but has anyone looked around ingame lately? I see KDF ships everywhere now, sector space is generally full of them. I'm wondering if anyone has retallied the percentages.

I remember when this remark was made. I came on the forums and posted about it complaining. Roach or bitemepwe as you now know him said not to complain but to own it. I thought this a good idea and being a biker I thought it would be a great idea if Cryptic would make a 18%'er patch for those who had stuck it out on the red through it all, sort of like the bikers 1% patch. Of course it never happened.

But that brings up other considerations, we maybe only 18% but those who play the KDF are a consistent bunch loyal to the game. There are other numbers that are just as relevant like which side has the percentage of players who continue to play? Or how about those who have toons on both sides which side do the play the most? The obvious numbers are easy to quote but how about those that aren't as apparent?
Captain
# 2
04-02-2013, 05:25 AM
The numbers are easy to quote but they say nothing really. They are actually a tad meaningless as it doesn't explain if that's more people who play kdf over fed, have KDF toons, how many paying players etc.

I think if you took the ratio of paying KDF players to paying Fed players to their entire population I believe you'd find some very interesting results. If my hypothesis is correct, I reckon there is a higher percentage of KDF players (against their overall population) putting money into this game than Feds, which might make Cryptic soil themselves a bit realizing they may have well and truly lost out in a chance for overall long term profit gain.

If anyone is confused by the maths, and how more KDF can have a higher percentage of paying customers I'll explain it below.

For example, fictional figures here.

There's 100,000 Fed players in game, but only 10,000 actually pay. That's 10% of Feds paying. If you look at KDF there's 10,000 in game and 5,000 are paying customers. That's 50% of KDF paying.

In short term you are going to get more money off Feds, however in the long term and especially if you managed to increase the KDF population just by slightly over double, you'll start to see them becoming more profitable than feds as they have a higher ratio of people paying.

So in conclusion, without seeing full and descriptive analysis of the player base, you can't say that the 18% of a player base don't deserve attention when they could be more profitable than the 72%.
KDF Future with Cryptic. Fact.

What Cryptic should consider before releasing anything.
Commander
# 3
04-02-2013, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitzh View Post
I think if you took the ratio of paying KDF players to paying Fed players to their entire population I believe you'd find some very interesting results. If my hypothesis is correct, I reckon there is a higher percentage of KDF players (against their overall population) putting money into this game than Feds, which might make Cryptic soil themselves a bit realizing they may have well and truly lost out in a chance for overall long term profit gain.
Given that this is perhaps the second most trivial statistic with regard to player profitability out there, do you really think they haven't considered it?
Commander
# 4
04-02-2013, 06:36 AM
They probley tally in inactive players as well who made a Fed and let it collect dust after they started playing another F2P game.
When the game first started the KDF where the PVP faction. We all see how that worked out. Due to the number of Fed ships the Pvp players all went Fed. The KDF has been lying dormant for some time now, waiting.

Last edited by akurie666; 04-02-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Captain
# 5
04-02-2013, 06:39 AM
Weren't the 18% taken out of a statement that was made in "ancient" pre-F2P times, before everyone had their second character slot restricted to KDF?
Career Officer
# 6
04-02-2013, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumstar View Post
I see KDF ships everywhere now, sector space is generally full of them.
Sector space is also even more full of feds than it was.

Neither tells us anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumstar View Post
But that brings up other considerations, we maybe only 18% but those who play the KDF are a consistent bunch loyal to the game.
This is how it most likely works.

Crytpic/PWE have metrics, of how many players are playing what side.

How many ships are purchased of what faction and at what tier.

Those metrics are looked at, and then the amount of artist and developer time that must be invested ($$$ spent) is weighed against the potential return on that investment.

They also probably look at past sales history for trends at what might be a better sale.

And then a business decision is made, and a project is given a green light.

If there was money to be made KDF side right now by making new KDF ships with new art - they would be making KDF ships with new art.

This is not a company that is avoiding trying to make a profit.

On the other hand, they are clearly risk averse (as most companies are), and they are not taking chances on long shots with low payout potential.

So in order to alleviate this, we get cross faction content, cross faction lockbox ships, cross faction lobi items, cross faction (cloned) doffs with the same powers.

This is content sold to the player base as a whole, and doesn't require taking an inordinate risk on any particular project.

Empire Veteran
# 7
04-02-2013, 07:06 AM
Own It! Be A Proud 18%.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Career Officer
# 8 I think we're way past 18%
04-02-2013, 07:14 AM
These are absolutely ancient numbers. It'd be like saying WoW only has 1 million subscribers -- true at one time, but it's not now so who cares.

January 7, 2011 - DStahl says KDF is 12%
July 28, 2011 - Devs state KDF is 18%

Considering the oft-quoted 18% number is almost 2 years old and there's been a few developments like free to play (January 17, 2012) there's obviously a lot more KDF players.

For what it's worth, DStahl did say 16% in June 2012 with Priority One #55, but I doubt he had the numbers in front of him when he said it (and as we are only human, he has been known to make several numerical errors when talking without the aid of the data in front of him.

I for one would love to get some updated stats for 2013.
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18020 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)

Last edited by phyrexianhero; 04-02-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Captain
# 9
04-02-2013, 07:52 AM
I would love updated stats, and I would like some idea what the methodology is. Are these stats collected by the game, or is it purely a superficial 'head count' that doesn't take into account dilithium-mining alts? Stuff like that. Settle this damned question once and for all.

I'm willing to accept that there are less KDF players in the game. My interaction with the game seems to support this, including in PvP. But I'm not willing to accept that it's as low as 18%. . .maybe closer to 30-35%.
Captain
# 10
04-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Quote:
But I'm not willing to accept that it's as low as 18%. . .maybe closer to 30-35%.
No one said you had to. As mentioned before, those numbers are two years old. No point whatsoever to bring them up or use them as a reference. You don't go around telling people you can't believe a brand-new Corvette only costs $3.500, because you read it in an old catalogue...

Furthermore, Cryptic would simply be stupid to release exact and detailed numbers and statistics about their playerbase and reveal their method of data collection, simply because an angry, 1-person forum mob demands it. Doing so would just make their competitors very, very happy.