Captain
# 11
04-02-2013, 09:43 AM
I tell everyone to not subscribe for more than a month - get your Gold bonus on your 2/3 characters and then just go FTP. There's nothing wrong with the Vet Rewards - I quite like my Android and Ships - but they're really not worth subbing for. Use the $10.00 you save each month to just buy whatever you want.

For better or worse, STO is a FTP game which just also happens to have a Subscription model - and it only has that due to the number of LTSers who were here before it went FTP. It works best if you just treat it like a FTP game. Cryptic does.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Republic Veteran
# 12
04-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimpinion View Post
for those die-hards that have been paying every month for 3 years, I can understand how you folks feel.

BUT

how many of you guys are actually left? whatever that number may be, the fact is, that number almost HAS to be shrinking month by month.

Lifetime subscribers, on the other hand? That number continues to grow, especially after they added all those veteran perks to the LTS. Heck, after 6 months of steady play in this game, I bought one, not long after they added those perks. And without that offer to sweeten the deal, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

The reason I wouldn't have bought an LTS is the same reason Cryptic doesn't feel that adding more vet rewards beyond a thousand days makes much sense: if someone were to start paying for a sub today, it would be THREE YEARS before they ever got that perk.

I'm sure Cryptic is thankful for your business and loyalty, but if the worst thing their decision to end the vet rewards after 1000 days does to you is force your hand to (cryptic hopes) redirect your game monies into more efficient purchases in the Z-store so what you DO spend gets you more/better stuff, then that ain't all bad, right?
Don't you dare you bring reason into this!
STO community Doom-O-Meter: |||||||||
Starfleet Veteran
# 13
04-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Quote:
for those die-hards that have been paying every month for 3 years, I can understand how you folks feel.

BUT

how many of you guys are actually left? whatever that number may be, the fact is, that number almost HAS to be shrinking month by month.

Lifetime subscribers, on the other hand? That number continues to grow, especially after they added all those veteran perks to the LTS. Heck, after 6 months of steady play in this game, I bought one, not long after they added those perks. And without that offer to sweeten the deal, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

The reason I wouldn't have bought an LTS is the same reason Cryptic doesn't feel that adding more vet rewards beyond a thousand days makes much sense: if someone were to start paying for a sub today, it would be THREE YEARS before they ever got that perk.

I'm sure Cryptic is thankful for your business and loyalty, but if the worst thing their decision to end the vet rewards after 1000 days does to you is force your hand to (cryptic hopes) redirect your game monies into more efficient purchases in the Z-store so what you DO spend gets you more/better stuff, then that ain't all bad, right?
You are correct! There is not many sub's left. No since in starting a sub now. That said I think life has "died" down as well. It may of spiked that first week of the fire sale. Where anyone that went life got all the rewards. But now... I am seeing a lot of F2P. New guy logging on may want the rewards like android! Heck I stuck around for the 1000 day ship! "I don't use it lol". But I wanted to say I stuck around for the 1000 day perk! I can't see someone start a reg sub in hopes of waiting it out a 1000 days for all the perks. Cheaper to go life. Maybe that's cryptic gamble. To see if enough people will pay that lifetime sub upfront. But I will say this... They threw regular subs under the bus. "Or shuttle craft". As well as 3 year lifers.
Captain
# 14
04-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmarsh View Post
But I will say this... They threw regular subs under the bus. "Or shuttle craft". As well as 3 year lifers.
Most 3-year Lifers broke even a long time ago. My break even point was 16 months. That was the difference between paying monthly and what I paid for my LTS. So I paid for 16 months of play and I've gotten 18 months of play for free - and I've gotten 16 Stipends totaling $80.00 worth of Zen. If the game lasts another 32 months I will have gotten back $240.00 worth of Stipends - which is what I paid for my LTS.

The only 3 year Lifers who are crying are the entitlement tribe: those who think because they paid in one lump sum that they're entitled to more than anyone else.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 15
04-02-2013, 10:16 AM
PWE is not interested in monthly subscriptions to its F2P games, perhaps because of the whining subscriptions seem to engender. Or perhaps because they simply do not want to apply resources to create special free rewards based on the length of time a player has subscribed.

When I returned to STO I reactivated my subscription because my days were already very close to 600 for the VA ship token. Now that I have that, my subscription is cancelled and will forever remain so unless Cryptic can find some way to give me a reason to want to level up another character, in which case I may reactivate to have gold status during the leveling process. A Romulan fraction is no incentive for me to level another character.
Lieutenant
# 16
04-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmarsh View Post
You are correct! There is not many sub's left. No since in starting a sub now. That said I think life has "died" down as well. It may of spiked that first week of the fire sale. Where anyone that went life got all the rewards. But now... I am seeing a lot of F2P. New guy logging on may want the rewards like android! Heck I stuck around for the 1000 day ship! "I don't use it lol". But I wanted to say I stuck around for the 1000 day perk! I can't see someone start a reg sub in hopes of waiting it out a 1000 days for all the perks. Cheaper to go life. Maybe that's cryptic gamble. To see if enough people will pay that lifetime sub upfront. But I will say this... They threw regular subs under the bus. "Or shuttle craft". As well as 3 year lifers.
I think the assertion that they "threw you under a bus" is overstating things a bit.

If you stop subbing right now, they take away a tiny fraction of what they have given you - NONE of the things they take away are the vet rewards (okay, maybe they restrict access to the captain's table...they probably do).

You keep your inventory/bank slots, char slots, etc. At least that's what I have come to understand.

what they no longer plan to do, is provide an incentive for a relatively quite small (and increasingly smaller by the day) fraction of their player base with trinkets that don't come CLOSE to approaching the amount of money the reward would demand to qualify for.

They ceased the facade that a monthly sub was at all worth the cost, basically. Not the worst of offenses, if you ask me.
Captain
# 17
04-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerstorm View Post
PWE is not interested in monthly subscriptions to its F2P games, perhaps because of the whining subscriptions seem to engender.
Not convinced gold accounts whine more than silvers on these forums.
Career Officer
# 18
04-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Quote:
I think the assertion that they "threw you under a bus" is overstating things a bit.

If you stop subbing right now, they take away a tiny fraction of what they have given you - NONE of the things they take away are the vet rewards (okay, maybe they restrict access to the captain's table...they probably do).

You keep your inventory/bank slots, char slots, etc. At least that's what I have come to understand.

what they no longer plan to do, is provide an incentive for a relatively quite small (and increasingly smaller by the day) fraction of their player base with trinkets that don't come CLOSE to approaching the amount of money the reward would demand to qualify for.

They ceased the facade that a monthly sub was at all worth the cost, basically. Not the worst of offenses, if you ask me.
incorrect I let my sub end after paying since April 2010, and suddenly I had a 10 million EC cap.
Career Officer
# 19
04-02-2013, 10:54 AM
I did the monthly sub thing just for bank slots leveling toons when I started.A monthly sub is a waste of money for the digital fluff your "entitled" to.The lump sum would eventually pay for itself.So you loose youe belt buckle, and some of your other things that 80% of the playerbase wont recognize "sets you apart from them"You get to keep your dancing monkey.Arent you proud of your dancing monkey?
Hypnotoad commands you agree with me!
Empire Veteran
# 20
04-02-2013, 10:57 AM
At this stage of the game it's not worth subbing to and I'm sure that that's what Cryptic is hoping that the remaining subbing player base comes to realize.

The trick for Cryptic is to try to figure out how to get the subbers that go F2P to continue to spend money in this MMO each month.

I'm happy with my LTS, I got it the 2nd week of open Beta and it has long since payed for itself

Players that were subbing month to month that knew they were going to stick around in STO should have made the leap to Liffer after their 2nd month of subscribing.

I'd have no problem with Cryptic offering players that have subbed to STO for at least 24 months a reduced cost to become a Lifer; say something like $100.00.

We all made our own choices about memberships to STO and we all have to live with the end results.