Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 987
# 11
04-02-2013, 02:59 PM
I really don't see a problem at all. In all reality, any nation would love to get its hands on the vessels and vehicles of another nation. And capturing of other nation's vessels and vehicles is practiced even in modern times.

They should logically be flying our ships, if only because they shot one up just enough to keep it in a salvageable state suitable for capture.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,671
# 12
04-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
I really don't see a problem at all. In all reality, any nation would love to get its hands on the vessels and vehicles of another nation. And capturing of other nation's vessels and vehicles is practiced even in modern times.

They should logically be flying our ships, if only because they shot one up just enough to keep it in a salvageable state suitable for capture.
And a lot of nations fly fighter jets originally designed for NATO or Russia...
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 270
# 13
04-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
I really don't see a problem at all. In all reality, any nation would love to get its hands on the vessels and vehicles of another The United States. And capturing of other nation's vessels and vehicles is practiced even in modern times.
I want a source on a first world nations navy using another nations captured vessel.

oh, and FTFY
_____________________________________________

"Second star on the right, and straight on till morning."

U.S.S. Weatherlight
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,497
# 14
04-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussweatherlight View Post
I want a source on a first world nations navy using another nations captured vessel.

oh, and FTFY
It is a semi bogus comparison. Feds, Klingons and Romulans are(or where) the superpowers of the galaxy. DS9 referred to them this way repeadetely. The other powers are 2nd or 3rd rate at best. 2nd rate powers would be the equivalent of Britain, Korea and Japan (for example Breen). The Romulans suffered a huge disaster, like the Soviet Union collapsing (although fewer deaths ) which would affect their rating. But they are still a lot closer to Feds / Klinks rather than the Breen.

As to the argument of countries flying other countries planes it does not hold. You don't see Russia flying US jets or the US flying Russian or Chinese jets. They on occasionally "evaluate" appropriated (stolen) equipment but they don't make it part of their fleets. There would be huge issues with doing this ... logistics alone ... The Brits/Koreans/Japs fly US aircraft while others like India fly Russian. Sometimes they develop their own stuff in house although it is usually derived or very limited in scope (think Harrier Jump jet for the latter).

What you do see is the Chinese using/improving on Russian technology to leapfrog in the tech race. This is somewhat analogous to the KDF / Romulan alliance in TOS (which was inspired by this relationship I think). We could have a similar alliance again between the 2 if we gave up on the silly notion of a democratic Romulan government and went back to the roots. But that would make too much sense and fly completely over the heads of most the teens playing this game.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 987
# 15
04-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
As to the argument of countries flying other countries planes it does not hold.
I seemed to have left out a critical point in my post that I didn't catch in my post-typing glance over; Typically salvaged stuff has its guts reused or reverse engineered, but gets a different form factor. And just 100 years ago, capturing other vessels would be very desirable. But as was pointed out, the current technology imbalance (and global political climate) has curtailed that practice. But the Fed, KE, and RSE all seem to be on an even footing, with evenly powerful, but counter technology. Acquiring your opponents counter technology could/would give you and advantage.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 270
# 16
04-02-2013, 03:54 PM
That makes a lot more sense. but that still; doesn't require the ships of the opponant to be used. Least of all in the numbers they're showing up in.

The Dominion was more advanced than the Federation in many respects, but I doubt R&D would allow the ships to fly off with little to no understanding of what's going on inside.
_____________________________________________

"Second star on the right, and straight on till morning."

U.S.S. Weatherlight
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,139
# 17
04-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Frankly I don't think there should be any kind of ship sharing, if Romulans join Fed or KDF fleets they get access to Romulan variants of Fed or KDF technology but not FED or KDF specific ships, they get Romulan ships with compatible specs.
What the hell is the point of having Romulans if we're going to water it down to end up with Romulans in FED or KDF ships or vice versa?
Sure there have been examples of nations using captured enemy equipment but only as a temporary expedient mainly due a lack of allied resources or as a tactical ploy to get within enemy lines, but are usually dispensed with as quickly as possible for the simple reason they are extremely vulnerable to being mistaken as an enemy target by their own forces. It simply makes no sense for KDF or FEDs to operating Romulan ships when their own ships are available and like wise for Romulans.

Last edited by maxvitor; 04-02-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 208
# 18
04-02-2013, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussweatherlight View Post
I want a source on a first world nations navy using another nations captured vessel.

oh, and FTFY
It's an old naval wartime tradition. Nowadays not too many navy vessels get boarded and captured, though. Also, for a time leading up to WWII naval powers were only allowed to have a limited number of warships.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 270
# 19
04-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
I seemed to have left out a critical point in my post that I didn't catch in my post-typing glance over; Typically salvaged stuff has its guts reused or reverse engineered, but gets a different form factor. And just 100 years ago, capturing other vessels would be very desirable. But as was pointed out, the current technology imbalance (and global political climate) has curtailed that practice. But the Fed, KE, and RSE all seem to be on an even footing, with evenly powerful, but counter technology. Acquiring your opponents counter technology could/would give you and advantage.
Captured and then used. I don't believe that's happened for over a century.

Also, only a few powers were actually under the restrictions of the Washington Naval Treaty, and one of them went to great lengths to conceal their breaking of it.

But that doesn't matter in a state of war. If it were common practice to board and capture enemy ships, and then use them, it would have happened at some point. When France surrendered, their navy was sunk, rather than captured.
_____________________________________________

"Second star on the right, and straight on till morning."

U.S.S. Weatherlight
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 230
# 20
04-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Or just keep everyone within faction ships
Im all in support of this.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:41 PM.