Lt. Commander
# 51
01-14-2010, 01:21 AM
I must admit at very first yes it sucked.. heck I was on my laptop downloading from file planet (sucked) and than used on the same computer bitorrent and the star trek one and both were giving me about 500 k/bs shut the one off and it jumped to between 500 and 700.. I got mine on my PC in no time now the laptop took abit longer but it was downloading wirelessly but still was going at 200/300ish. Don't get mad at the devs but its a minor issue,.
Lt. Commander
# 52
01-14-2010, 01:38 AM
When I was a kid we used to have to walk 5 miles in the snow, uphill (both ways!) to buy games, paying the same price that we do today (even though the dollar was worth a lot more back then).

Seriously though, you really need to chill out and look at the big picture. There is so much rage on gaming forums nowadays, it really makes me worry about the future.

(On a side note, I'm leaving my BT running at my max upload speed to help out anyone still trying to get it)
Lt. Commander
# 53
01-14-2010, 07:25 AM
Crashman, I can easily answer why there is often so much rage in game forums, or at least the PC ones.

In "your days" game companies made sure to actually finish the game before they released it. And, if by a small chance there were still a few kinks in the game, they took their time to make a patch that WOULD work.

Now adays, they only want to get the game out there and sell, and worry about fixing it later.

I would also like to state how Cryptic doesnt seem to be saying much... it bodes ill for the game.
Lt. Commander
# 54
01-14-2010, 12:05 PM
i found a simple solution to get the client when i was haveing trouble downloading it myself, my brother downloaded it for me , if people still are haveing problems see if anyone you no a friend or family member neer by minds getting it downloaded for you no harm in asking.
Lt. Commander
# 55
01-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethstalker View Post
Well I have to say that I am so very unhappy right now and if the level of support I am getting now is what I can expect, then maybe it was a mistake to buy into this game. here is the problem. I bought 2 copies of STO, one from Gamestop and the other from Atari. so when finnally the open beta comes I go to download the game, I find that I HAVE to use the downloader from YOUR website or use Bit Tourent. so I get your downloader and what to my amazement, I get maybe .02 Kps download speed! now It is not due to my settings since as i watch it, once in a while it would go to my max speed of 300 Kps but it does so little that after 6 hours of downloading I only get 3% of the file. At that rate I could expect to get the whole file in a MONTH!!! So I call gamestop to complain and they say its not them but you, I call you and you say its not us, call gamestop. so i call Atari and I get the same runaround!!! So here I am using Bit Tourent and getting it at a BLAZING 30 Kps!!! So now after 3 days of downloading I am only at 50%! By the time i get this program the whole Open beta will be done and I would have WAISTED THE REASON I PRE-PAID IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS TOTAL BS, IS THIS WHAT I AM TO EXPECT FROM YOU GUYS FOR SUPPORT!!!!!! AS IN NOTHING If I was not such a Star Trek Fan I would say the H@$# with this and go back to World of ********!!!
I'm having the same issue. I've been downloading it for 3 days via the torrent and I'm at 61%. I can download other things-one was a 15 gig file-and I had the whole thing in 6 hours. Another was a 350 mb file and that I had in 20 minutes.

Does STO use a special port for the torrent or anything?

I was using the downloader from STO beta site and it was faster, the only problem was it caused everything on my pc to lag so I had to close it.
Lt. Commander
Atari is not supporting this game at all. It took over 38 hours to download the game from Star Trek site. I have a cable modem so the problem is not on my end. Download speeds ranged from 12 to .03. I will never buy another thing from atari again.
Lt. Commander
# 57
01-14-2010, 01:20 PM
First you need to calm down and quit blaming Cryptic because your computer is not downloading the client fast enough.

Some downloaded it fast and some did not, computer specs aside, all types of computers had problems, I read where some people downloaded it faster on a lower end comp than a higher end one. So its defijnitely not just the client to blame. I had a problem loading up parts of the game and after reading up on the forums for others with similar problems found that I just had to keep trying. It turned out a lot of my problems was the huge demands on the server. I finally got Sol Sytem to load after 2 days of trying..turned out it was a server overload. Those things happen in beta. [i]t was frustrating but this is what playing beta is all about. Patience and persistence..and communication.

I had to disable virus protection, Zone Alarm on my comp, and disable ad adware to get mine to download the client faster.

Make sure your firewall is not interfering and keep trying...so many are trying to download the client now...you just have to hang in there.

And keep reading and checking the forums for help, there is good support out there..you have to be patient and remember there is a huge rush on the server and client right now. Open Beta has just started and there will be many problems we all have to deal with and resolve . Make sure you report these problems to Cryptic ..that is why we are here beta testing..its not for our entertainment at this point..its to find out the problems, bugs etc. and work with Cryptic to resolve them before launch.

Good luck and hang in there.
Lt. Commander
# 58
01-14-2010, 01:34 PM
If you guys are having so much trouble down loading the client use fileshack.com here is the link to the client http://www.fileshack.com/file_download.x/16562
Lt. Commander
# 59
01-15-2010, 06:37 AM
Some good comments about general raging. It does need to be stamped out by forum mod because a lot of the time it's unfounded or exagerated.

I commented on this thread yesterday with word of problems I was having. Sure I was not best pleased but I keep on going. Someone mentioned walking through snow as a kid and so on. I'm an X soldier and now a programmer so I know about problems. I agree todays generation is worrying, they don't have values needed to surive in life. I'm not talking about getting rich, I'm talking abotu surviving to be a good person and if games are going to be such a big part of peoples lifes then its up to games to start dishing out some none related advice.

Like stay calm, have patience and just seek help.

Direct2Drive's problems were fixed yesterday and the game downloaded about 8MB per second for me. Fastest download I've ever had.

Then I got the game running on a HP computer, ATI 3460! Duel AMD Athlon processer. Lowest specs you can use probably and the game runs perfect. Graphics are still acceptable too. This is great news because these computers are cheap now.

Thumbs up to Cryptic. Anyone struggling...at least you know it is worth the effort and wait!