Rihannsu
# 101
04-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
So you're accusing Cryptic of having a flawed view of micro economics and business management?
No, I'm accusing the OP and you of so horribly misunderstanding what Cryptic has told you that you're drawing flawed conclusions.

What Cryptic has said is that a lot more people play Fed than play Klingon, therefore, it makes more business sense to do things for Fed that might not make business sense for Klingon.

What Cryptic has NOT said (hopefully because they don't have 2nd graders running their business) is that their output of content for each faction is based a linear model of direct proportionality (4 times as many feds = 4 times as much content for feds).

That model, which the OP proposes, doesn't make sense in any possible universe. Even if we assumed that each and every player in the game had unlimited money they were willing to spend on the game (which would be a terrible assumption to make) it still wouldn't follow that content should be produced in that proportion. In that particular scenario, content would be produced exclusively for Fed, and never for KDF.

In any real world scenario, where we assume that customers actually have variable amounts of disposable income and each faction actually consists of a bunch of different market segments (which Cryptic has acknowledged is very much a known factor in the F2P model), the proportion should almost certainly be closer to 1:1 than 4:1. Hypothetically, something like 2:1 or 5:2 is probably more reasonable. The reason, simply, is that there are diminishing returns as you saturate each faction with new content, so that eventually each piece of sellable content yields a lower marginal return.

The task in business management is to find the best marginal return on each unit of investment, with investment continuing right up until the point where marginal return becomes negative (or past that point if you're making an investment in market share). It is NOT to dole out your investment using some kind of simplistic formula based some arbitrary ratio of numbers.

Now, throw in the fact (as others have mentioned in this thread) that there is a finite amount of sellable content that can be produced on the fed side, due to IP concerns, and it becomes pretty clear that long term, they should be investing in exclusive Fed content only when the marginal returns are highly positive, and they should be investing in exclusive KDF and Romulan specific content even when the marginal return is negative (and doing everything they can to gently shift people towards playing those factions). So again, this skews the optimal ratio closer to 1:1.

And none of this even touches on the fallacy which I already covered about zero sum thinking with regard to faction balance and exclusive content. Above all, Cryptic should be investing in areas which touch all segments of their customer base equally, ideally in systems that will improve their sales (such as lock boxes and lobi store) or which will drive customer retention across the board (such as new FEs and STFs for all factions, bug fixes, game system improvements, better UI and AI, etc).

This is just the very low hanging fruit, stuff that is obvious as first glance. A truly exhaustive examination of everything wrong with the OP's thought process could probably fill a book.

If you look at what makes actually business sense and you look at what Cryptic is actually doing with this "expansion" you'll see that apart from a lack of new STFs and lockbox stuff, they're pretty much following the playbook exactly.

In other words, they're making sound business decisions and the OP is complaining that sound business doesn't make him feel like a unique and special snowflake.

Last edited by voxinvictus; 04-02-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Survivor of Remus
# 102
04-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Why does the Federation have to get things that other people don't? That is silly. KDF is demanding KDF only stuff, potential RR people are pissed their stuff isn't more exclusive, and now Feds are whining that the stuff they get other people get too? If you only play federation (First off, how do you make money? Seriously! Make a KDF toon and see what I mean) then why would it affect you in any way that other people get access to the same stuff as you? Other than being a diva?

Exclusivity is a waste of time. I want more content that I can play on all of my characters, which are currently 60% Fed and 40% KDF and will be sprouting Romulans as soon as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glados122 View Post
I think the feds should get ignored for the moment.
They got an massive arsenal of ships.

Like double or triple than the KDF.

And the rommies could end up as a disaster.

I'm aware your comments are based on feelings, not logic, but:

47 KDF vs 69 Fed Playable ships at T5 and T5.5 (Fleet/Lockbox/Paid)

~40% of the ships are KDF, whereas only ~18% of the players are KDF.

So KDF have, per capita, more ship uniqueness than Fed.

And that only includes T5+, whereas KDF actually get cool and different ships for their C-store +1's at levels before 40, where Fed only get reskins.

And Romulans will be a boon to the game. Regardless of anything else, this will increase population, as long as the forum negativity doesn't scare off returning/potential players. Your fleets will get more people (if you are willing to recruit) and we will have even more unique and cool ships, traits, and events/activities to run.
Career Officer
# 103
04-02-2013, 07:03 PM
I give this thread 3/10. This is purely because against the odds, and despite many troll comments so "In your face" that they risk causing severe head trauma, this thread has managed to achieve 9 pages.

May Gene have mercy on your souls.

EDIT: 10 pages with this reply.
Captain
# 104
04-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxinvictus View Post
No, I'm accusing the OP and you of so horribly misunderstanding what Cryptic has told you that you're drawing flawed conclusions.
Since all I'm doing is saying the same thing that Cryptic said, you kind of ARE accusing Cryptic of misunderstanding those things.
Captain
# 105
04-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsmasher View Post
this thread has managed to achieve 9 pages.
Change your settings man. It's only 3 pages for me.
Survivor of Remus
# 106
04-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxinvictus View Post
tl; scroll up

I can refute all of these arguments with a single point. Adding universal content, available to all three factions is the best investment and hits every part of your market.

Unless I guess by content, you only meant ships; in which doing the above would amount to more lockboxes, and more whining.
Rihannsu
# 107
04-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by originpi View Post
I can refute all of these arguments with a single point. Adding universal content, available to all three factions is the best investment and hits every part of your market.
My post was addressing exclusive content, but I've added and edited to address the more general point.

I think you'll find that we're generally in agreement.

I will point out though that without the sales of ships, costumes, etc, the content doesn't actually pay for itself. They need to produce both sellable content and free content to coax the people with money to burn into spending it. Their current model doesn't allow them to sell ships and costumes which are not faction specific except through lockboxes.

Given the huge success of the JHAS, I definitely expect to see their strongest ship designs wind up in lockboxes, doff packs, and the lobi store.

Free content like missions, STFs, FEs, Reputations, etc should be entirely or almost entirely available to all factions. Anything else is basically just wasting resources.

Last edited by voxinvictus; 04-02-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 108
04-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daroska View Post
Pssh, 'heart of the game' hah! More like Cryptic's Dabo table.

Although really, the Federation needs a tempered break from constant
content for awhile. To allow Cryptic to both work on and draw interest
to the other percentage. Which they seem to be slightly doing, kinda.

When Im off the smartphone Im makngnthis a signature. :-)
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP
Lt. Commander
# 109
04-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
When Im off the smartphone Im makngnthis a signature. :-)
"Dabo!" -Holo-Leeta
Rihannsu
# 110
04-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
Since all I'm doing is saying the same thing that Cryptic said
No, you're not.