Lt. Commander
I started downloading STO yesterday evening, using the downloader. That's the only way to get the client, as far as I know, having pre-ordered via Amazon.com. I have a friend who started his download at the same time. His connection is DSL and I have cable (20 meg). My friend completed downloading by 5pm this evening. Mine is at 65%. I'm very displeased that a DSL customer, using the same downloader, has finished in half the time. It looks like my download will not be finished until tomorrow. Is anyone else having my problem?

Very frustrating that I've pre-ordered and registered, and am having to wait two days to complete a download that should be done in a few hours at most. Any STO mods reading here? Almost makes me want to just cancel and just not play this game. I haven't found any help or suggestions at all. I know cussing some one or anyone will not get me very far, but, the cursing IS prevalent under my breath.

Constuctive responses are greatly appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Lots of people are facing the same problem, or worse. I've been downloading on a DSL connection since about 9 AM on Monday. So far I have about 72% of it.

Fanboi's will come on here to tell you you should have gone through some third party site to get the files. Others will boast about having gotten it some place or other in a couple of hours. But also a lot of people going through those sites have had trouble getting their installs to work -- just take a look at the posts on this forum. And having to go through a third party site for the download is ridiculous anyway.

It's beta. Problems are to be expected. But I've been through a number of MMO launches, and I've never encountered this much difficulty in just downloading the program. I'm not impressed.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-13-2010, 08:17 PM
If you look in the folder that the STO down loader is copying to, you can try running the Setup.exe file.

That should install the launcher and let you get any missing files through the patcher after logging in (it will be a big patch).

This worked for me after only down loading ~13% of the files from the STO downloader and it completed the DL at about 350 kb/s for me (the game is working fine using this method).
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Thank you very much for your quick reply, Geveo.

I agree that having to go through some third party to download the client is ridiculous. However, there are mirrors provided to download via, provided you purchased the client from that site. My issue is that I purchased the client on Amazon.com and there is no mirror or client to download from there. So I'm forced to use the downloader, as I won't look for another "unsupported" mirror.

My buddy using his DSL connection began his download approximately the same time I started mine. He even had to restart his download, due to some interruption, a few hours later. And he was still twice as far as me on his download this morning before work. I get home to see 48% complete and call him to see how far he is, and he tells me he's engaged with a borg ship, one minute, please... lol. RRRRRRRRRRR! I suppose I'm just getting unlucky in the P2P system.

I feel for you, waiting since Monday. But wow, Monday, huh. I tried to start downloading Monday and wasn't able. Had to wait 'til Tuesday to begin. Maybe, just maybe, I would have it by now if I could have started Monday... yeah, lol. I've been through a few MMO launches myself. I agree, I've never had to wait, over night even, for the clients to download. There was a reason I pre-ordered, after all.

Very unsatisfied, to say the least at the moment. Sad to say, it's comforting that others are experiencing the same forever download problems. The guy that's responsible for working on that "snap of a finger" thing, is falling down on the job. Maybe he just needs a little encouragement flogging.

ZiffyHead:
Ah thanks, I really want to try that, but I'm at 85% running around 250 kb/s at the moment. I hate to stop it now.... rrrrr. You're meaning that the "patch" is so big because you're continuing your client download? before actually patching.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-13-2010, 08:26 PM
There are a handful of authorized download sites.

Although some limit speed to non members they are still usually pretty reliable. My friend got his from Fileshack link on THIS OFFICIAL list

I just got mine from the newsgroups and had client in 2 hours or so. Torrent was a first try but even having complete access to my internet with no interference from a firewall or router and having over 800 seeds I was getting no better than 100k/s. Yes I waited for it to settle in and get going but it never wanted to.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Thank you, Sepioth.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-13-2010, 08:36 PM
No, I didn't continue using the STO Downloader. I had canceled it at about 13% (after 12+ hours) to try other methods like fileshack etc. none of them worked for me. When I looked in the STO download folder, I saw the setup file and decided "what the heck".

If you are up to 250 kb/s you should keep going.

The "patch" I got was through the patcher after loggin in.

The patcher said it was a 10gig patch, but it was really half that size and took about 4-5 hours (It started after 2am and it was done at 8am when I woke up).

Good Luck
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Yes, I understand, ZiffyHead. That's what I meant. I asked the question terribly... lol, sorry. I hear ya, I'm not going to stop my progression at the moment. But the setup launch downloader is P2P also. isn't it? So I'd still be subject to the luck of the draw, right? as far as not getting to pick the faster connection from a list of users, I mean. Thank you.

91% complete
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-13-2010, 09:18 PM
at 91% i would just stick with it ... game is down right now anyway.

Once I installed I ran the launcher and it had to download a 177mb patch and that was all. It took no more than like 10 mins. Was fairly fast.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Download Complete!
Thanks for the tips and encouragement all. Onward to new problems... lol.