Captain
# 181
04-07-2013, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaind3 View Post

I'm starting to wonder if there's actually a limit to how much power gets boosted above a certain level. Like if the subsystem already has 70, if there's a reduction in how much of a boost you get.
Don't forget as you gain power you loose power. Warp Core Efficiency skill/boffs and all that jazz.
STO's F2P is basically an inferior experience for the masses at no cost being subsidized by a handful of whales seeking whatever it is that motivates them to spend hundreds if not thousands on a game.
Starfleet Veteran
# 182
04-07-2013, 04:51 AM
First things first...

To counter some of what I've read in this thread, please, for the love of Andoria, do NOT make warp cores set pieces! I'm sick of my captain putzing around sector space at Warp 10 because I got even MORE sick of logging in, jumping into an STF, and finding in mid-battle my set was broken because I swapped in the borg engines for faster transit the day before. The whole reason I was in favor of breaking off the warp core from the impulse system was so that warp speed would be independent of those sets.

I also have mixed feelings about having reputation-based warp-core. On one hand, it's good to have something to strive for, where consistent effort over time gives you a set reward. On the other hand, though, there is an absurdly vast amount of top-level gear that drops in combat will never ever see use because nobody wants to break their set; it's just so much vendor trash. If the Warp Core is only available via space drops, I might actually get excited to see one turn up, as it may have a flavor I feel is better suited for my build than my current one; even if it didn't there would also be a more active market for them on the exchange, as there's no competition from a grindable-but-guaranteed-to-be-better warp core, so I could potentially sell it. Adding craftable warp cores could also add a boost to a badly underdeveloped part of the game. As such, I think I would have to say NO, don't give us reputation warp cores; we have enough systems to grind for, and we should have SOMETHING worthwhile drop occasionally from combat.

(On an off-topic, but tangentially related note, it occurs to me you should create a system that allows you to break down vendor trash (maybe above a certain quality level?) for a small amount of unreplicatable materials for use in crafting. Or, you know, remove those thrice-bedamned dilithium costs from it entirely.)

On a UI note, you may want to create a locked Transwarp System "slot" next to the Warp Core slot for the Excelsiors and the Tuffli; it wouldn't be a slot in the same sense as the others (you wouldn't be able to add or remove a transwarp console from it), but it would be a good place to put a mouseover where you could see which additional transwarp locations that specific ship can go to.

Regarding Singularity Cores, I see a lot of potential and they look quite interesting. I've seen it suggested here that there be a rep-granted Singularity Core available (presumably for non-Romulan factions), and I would STRONGLY argue against that, at least for now. It would be insane to dilute the primary unique factor of Romulan captains and ships right off the bat. Down the road, however, it may be appropriate to introduce a pseudo singularity core available for non-Romulans; it wouldn't give the full benefits of the Singularity Core, but a hybrid, acting primarily like a M/A Warp Core, but perhaps enabling a single Singularity Core skill, or something. Not knowing yet how a full Singularity Core works, it's hard to say what a happy middle-ground would be. ...although I say it shouldn't be available right away, it does occur to me that such a pseudo singularity core (scalable) would make a highly appropriate Tribble test reward....

Also, I do appreciate the generous spread of possible warp cores being made available. The one weakness of that is, if you want a particular combination of attributes, thanks to the vagaries of random number generation, there is a small-but-real chance that it will never drop. Ever. For anyone. Even if that particular flavor drops for someone else, if they're not willing to put it on the exchange, you're still out of luck. Still, it might give me a chance to look at a combo I hadn't planned on using and find that it was better than I'd expected.
Lt. Commander
# 183
04-07-2013, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyouki View Post
(On an off-topic, but tangentially related note, it occurs to me you should create a system that allows you to break down vendor trash (maybe above a certain quality level?) for a small amount of unreplicatable materials for use in crafting. Or, you know, remove those thrice-bedamned dilithium costs from it entirely.)
I like this idea. It would boost the appeal of crafting a lot as you get something out of the items which drop instead of just EC.

I hope a Dev reads this.
Captain
# 184
04-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyouki View Post
First things first...

To counter some of what I've read in this thread, please, for the love of Andoria, do NOT make warp cores set pieces! I'm sick of my captain putzing around sector space at Warp 10 because I got even MORE sick of logging in, jumping into an STF, and finding in mid-battle my set was broken because I swapped in the borg engines for faster transit the day before. The whole reason I was in favor of breaking off the warp core from the impulse system was so that warp speed would be independent of those sets.

I also have mixed feelings about having reputation-based warp-core. On one hand, it's good to have something to strive for, where consistent effort over time gives you a set reward. On the other hand, though, there is an absurdly vast amount of top-level gear that drops in combat will never ever see use because nobody wants to break their set; it's just so much vendor trash. If the Warp Core is only available via space drops, I might actually get excited to see one turn up, as it may have a flavor I feel is better suited for my build than my current one; even if it didn't there would also be a more active market for them on the exchange, as there's no competition from a grindable-but-guaranteed-to-be-better warp core, so I could potentially sell it. Adding craftable warp cores could also add a boost to a badly underdeveloped part of the game. As such, I think I would have to say NO, don't give us reputation warp cores; we have enough systems to grind for, and we should have SOMETHING worthwhile drop occasionally from combat.

On a UI note, you may want to create a locked Transwarp System "slot" next to the Warp Core slot for the Excelsiors and the Tuffli; it wouldn't be a slot in the same sense as the others (you wouldn't be able to add or remove a transwarp console from it), but it would be a good place to put a mouseover where you could see which additional transwarp locations that specific ship can go to.

Regarding Singularity Cores, I see a lot of potential and they look quite interesting. I've seen it suggested here that there be a rep-granted Singularity Core available (presumably for non-Romulan factions), and I would STRONGLY argue against that, at least for now. It would be insane to dilute the primary unique factor of Romulan captains and ships right off the bat. Down the road, however, it may be appropriate to introduce a pseudo singularity core available for non-Romulans; it wouldn't give the full benefits of the Singularity Core, but a hybrid, acting primarily like a M/A Warp Core, but perhaps enabling a single Singularity Core skill, or something. Not knowing yet how a full Singularity Core works, it's hard to say what a happy middle-ground would be. ...although I say it shouldn't be available right away, it does occur to me that such a pseudo singularity core (scalable) would make a highly appropriate Tribble test reward....

Also, I do appreciate the generous spread of possible warp cores being made available. The one weakness of that is, if you want a particular combination of attributes, thanks to the vagaries of random number generation, there is a small-but-real chance that it will never drop. Ever. For anyone. Even if that particular flavor drops for someone else, if they're not willing to put it on the exchange, you're still out of luck. Still, it might give me a chance to look at a combo I hadn't planned on using and find that it was better than I'd expected.
I understand what you're saying, and crafting warp cores is on my wish list.

On the one hand there is a certain logic to receiving reputation based warp cores. And a certain illogic of salvaging cores from destroyed ships. I would sell those to Ferengi for better or at least refurbished core parts.

And Fleet Warp cores just make sense. A Fleet can build a ship, a core is a component piece.

But getting a random high quality warp core in combat that actually does something amazing is also a great thing.I don't know.

That said, warp cores being the primary actor of our sector space warp speed also makes sense. (Slipstream on the other hand should be modified through the deflector).
Yes I support This

"Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many they are few"
Lieutenant
# 185 warp cores
04-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Hello:

I was wondering if certain warp cores would provide their own Main Engineering room down on the engineering deck? Certainly not every single warp core would, way too much work.

Though if they did warp cores as part of existing sets, something like that might work, like with a MACO set, it's warp core might provide a unique Warp core/main engineering room, etc. Though I guess that would still take some work either way.

Just something I was wondering about.

Aside from that, I do like the concept, and appreciate the work gone into the new warp core/singularity core system so far

edit: To expand on this idea further, a warp engine as part of a MACO set, or any other specific set could unlock the matching Main engineering room or engineering deck for optional use in the ship customization service. Or Aegis set, etc.
Zebulon_Giles:

My Characters: (from left to right)

N'Gubist Ripeaz Menniz

Last edited by zebulongiles; 04-08-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Captain
# 186
04-07-2013, 05:21 PM
I want set and reputation and fleet warp cores with great abilities for my ships! Same for the singularity ones.... I like the shiny gear!
Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
Survivor of Remus
# 187
04-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Dont know if it was mentioned before but
when u remove the warpcore in space its if nothing happened

no warpcore = only emergency power
similar to when you remove the engines u only have thrusters
your ship should loose shilds weapons end main engines while the warpcore
is removed
Career Officer
# 188
04-08-2013, 03:46 PM
tl:dr all pages.... but I would like to see as stated in another thread somewhere that if we take damage,instead of dying and respawning, we were able to repair also being able to eject the warp core would be cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimenranger1 View Post
the freighter can't even fight a cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepantsparty View Post
Yes it can, medical supplies and antigens are sold on-board cheaply.

Career Officer
# 189
04-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Also only for solo missions. Would be a good way to get rid of the enemy. Gotta have all of the prerequisites in place i.e. getting ready to die etc. I would also think it would have to result as an end of mission deal, cant respawn after you eject the warp core and it explodes. Enemy shouldve warped out after detecting the buildup etc. Timer it like an STF and if you are running in elite, cant do another mission until you are towed back to a starbase, by an actual player.

Or make ejecting the warp core an elite level ability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimenranger1 View Post
the freighter can't even fight a cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepantsparty View Post
Yes it can, medical supplies and antigens are sold on-board cheaply.

Captain
# 190
04-08-2013, 10:21 PM
No bugs for me yet.

I do have a small request though, if it's not already planned that is, Give the Warp cores their own image.

As it stands it looks like we've got two impulse drives installed. Maybe even a modification to the ship itself when some of the exceptionally rare or hard to get (Rep/fleet?) Warp Cores are installed.