Captain
# 101
04-04-2013, 03:28 AM
Random ideas for new traits:

Tactical Space.

Coordinated Fire-Control Systems: When inflicting [all energy damage] to a target, x% chance/15 seconds to apply +y% crit chance, +z% crit severity with kinetic weapons.

Finessed Targeting: Gain an additional effect depending on Target Subsystems power used.

Target Weapons: Inflict a -x% debuff to target's tactical skills that boost damage.
Target Shields: Slow target's shield redistribution for X seconds.
Target Engines: Engines drain other subsystems power when at 0/in reverse for X seconds.
Target Aux: Life Support Failure: Inflict +x% crew damage.

Shaped Kinetic Charges: Reduce the self-damaging effect of your heavy torpedoes/mines from detonating them while within the blast radius.

Enhanced Target Tracking: When you use Cannon Scatter Volley or Torpedo Spread Volley, you affect one additional target.

Science Space:

Spatial Warheads. You have a x% chance to generate a gravity well when you crit with a heavy torpedo.

Enhanced Targeting Array: Reduce the cooldown on subsystem targeting abilities on science ships you captain.

Decoy Master: When you use Photonic Fleet, enemies in the area of effect are confused for x seconds.

Improved Scattering Field: When you use scattering field, enemies cannot use ____ team abilities on their allies within the radius.

Engineer Space:

Improved Fabrication Techniques: Your space pets (Fighters, heavy torps, MVAM sections, saucer sections, turrets) gain a +x% boost to defense, and a +y% bonus to HP.

Enhanced Transporter Relays: When you use a _____ team ability on an ally, you gain a reduced effectiveness version of that effect.

Enriched Plasma Intermix: Gain +x% to starship engine performance, and a +y% boost to particle generators.

Nadion Inversion field: When you use Nadion Inversion, allies within 5km gain +x% to power drain resistance.
Captain
# 102
04-04-2013, 04:11 AM
Those are some good ideas.... though nadion inversion does need a boost. Perhaps 10% energy damage for 15 seconds?
Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
Republic Veteran
# 103
04-04-2013, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
Trait Rebalancing: A number of existing traits were too situational or too inconsequential compared to other choices.
  • These traits have either been given additional functionality or have had their magnitude increased to make all traits competitive choices.

My initial feedback is that I think a lot of the racial traits need another balance pass.

Several races have had multiple traits combined into a single, mega-trait.

Some of these mega-traits seem to outclass other similar racial traits.

I understand you wanted to balance Aliens vs. Standard races, but perhaps add a few Alien only traits to choose from?

It's not the biggest deal, but for the longest time the standard races have been, quite frankly, pretty bad from a performance and balance perspective.

Alien Flexibility advantage has been reduced pretty heavily now with 8 traits available to all, with races having single mega-traits with multiple benefits.

I think a lot fewer players would ever have chosen Aliens in this trait system.
Basically what I'm hearing is; "Before the trait revamp, it was unbalanced and there was no reason to pick, hmm, Idk, an actual Star Trek race? Now that these changes have been made, it's more balanced. Could you please restore the imbalance?"

lol But seriously, this is going to be way better. I want to see more people choosing real races! It's kinda cool when people recreate races that aren't in the game, but I say just wait for it, they'll release more eventually. (Like Deltans for a start? They're basically Federation Orions that aren't green)
Great News!

It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
Republic Veteran
# 104
04-04-2013, 09:22 AM
EPS manifold efficiency honestly I'd rather them change it to lets say this when you use eps transfer all power levels temporarily gain +5 to max power levels for 10 or 12 seconds, this would help some with damage but not enough to make engineers op.. and when using the very rare warp core capacitors +5 max power to target system capacitor ability is used on, for the duration of the power spike.

A copy from another thread i posted in but I wanted to make sure it got to the right place.
Empire Veteran
# 105
04-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedom01 View Post
hum hom.... where have my mind meld and nerve pinch gone?
I think that was moved to the Vulcan Racial.

You know what wasn't moved to the Racial? Gorn Strength... is this a UI bug or intentional? My Gorn Ground/Melee captain wants to know!
Empire Veteran
# 106
04-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by imadoctornota View Post
Basically what I'm hearing is; "Before the trait revamp, it was unbalanced and there was no reason to pick, hmm, Idk, an actual Star Trek race? Now that these changes have been made, it's more balanced. Could you please restore the imbalance?"

lol But seriously, this is going to be way better. I want to see more people choosing real races! It's kinda cool when people recreate races that aren't in the game, but I say just wait for it, they'll release more eventually. (Like Deltans for a start? They're basically Federation Orions that aren't green)
Maybe if every race had access to every Trait, and the Racial pick were optional, players would be free to pick the race they wanted to play, not the race that was best suited to their planned build.

Wouldn't that be better for everyone?
Career Officer
# 107
04-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by imadoctornota View Post

No, it's more like making sure all choices have the option to have something interesting and valid to them.

A lot of players made "standard" races using AlienGen, because they wanted Standard Races without being locked into terrible game mechanics.

Now, standard races, have nearly all of the flexibility of AlienGen along with a single mega trait that can be anywhere from 2 to 4 traits worth of bonuses.

What we had before wasn't balanced, and this is not well balanced either. It's just a new direction of being unbalanced.

If this were Pre-S6 I'd say no big deal, roll a new character and move on.

In the age of high priced single character unlocks, dilithium walls, rep-system time gates, making a new character to replace an old one is a considerable time & in some cases $$$ investment.

Rihannsu
# 108
04-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwedisplayname View Post
Maybe if every race had access to every Trait, and the Racial pick were optional, players would be free to pick the race they wanted to play, not the race that was best suited to their planned build.

Wouldn't that be better for everyone?
That would make race something cosmetic only. I like how there are actual reasons to use certain races.

I have to say that I think this will be great for Gorn. The old version gave Gorn 3 MANDATORY traits. Now Gorn get 8 optionals the same as everyone else.

Honestly, there are actually multiple racial traits that are quite good. BUT, the catch is that most of them are ground traits. Some players seem to think that all ground traits are useless and dislike all races but alien simply because they want to have exclusively space traits, meh.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Rihannsu
# 109
04-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Maybe I am out in left field here, it is very late and I am rather tired but if I were responsible for the trait system of an MMO, I would imagine everything through some sort of dichotomy matrix with inherent min/max framework as a base performance model designed to promote a balanced player experience for all from start to end game and beyond. With that stated, off the top of my head, assuming the following archetype for each class is:

Tac = Offense
Eng = Defense
Sci = Control

The general area of application should be filtered through two categories. They are Self/Other and in this particular title I would add Space/Ground.

The categories should have dimensions of evaluation for the following functionality in order of priority:

Buff/Debuff
Environment/Player
Permanent/Temporary
Active/Passive
Direct /Indirect
Immediate/Overtime
Independent/Synergy
Single/Multiple (Target)

When I look at all the traits in my mind I can not make a coherent matrix of them all but maybe Cryptic has some sort of system that I simply can't envision at the moment when considering traits.

On a side note, for more RP flavor, I Would also consider converting the trait system into a vice/virtue one to match the same element we already have in the Doff system but that is just me.

Join the preeminent Romulan community now!

Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan
(member #124)

Last edited by aspartan1; 04-04-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 110
04-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspartan1 View Post
Maybe I am out in left field here, it is very late and I am rather tired but if I were responsible for the trait system of an MMO, I would imagine everything through some sort of dichotomy matrix with inherent min/max framework as a base performance model designed to promote a balanced player experience for all from start to end game and beyond. With that stated, off the top of my head, assuming the following archetype for each class is:

Tac = Offense
Eng = Defense
Sci = Control

The general area of application should be filtered through two categories. They are Self/Other and in this particular title I would add Space/Ground.

The categories should have dimensions of evaluation for the following functionality in order of priority:

Buff/Debuff
Environment/Player
Permanent/Temporary
Active/Passive
Direct /Indirect
Immediate/Overtime
Independent/Synergy
Single/Multiple (Target)

When I look at all the traits in my mind I can not make a coherent matrix of them all but maybe Cryptic has some sort of system that I simply can't envision at the moment when considering traits.

On a side note, for more RP flavor, I Would also consider converting the trait system into a vice/virtue one to match the same element we already have in the Doff system but that is just me.
You're right, the current traits - except for engs, this is why they are insanely powerful - make everyone doing a bit of everything. Tacs will tank, scis should do some more damage (it's going to be insignificant but that's the purpose of the traits)... This makes no sense to me. Tacs should get more dps, eng should stick to more tanking, and scis should get stronger control abilities. That would make sense.