Captain
# 41
04-26-2013, 11:13 AM
The other books that seem to have influenced the development of the Remans are the Vulcan's Soul novels, which do account for the Remans as seen in Nemesis.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Vulcan%27s_Soul

Personally, though, I always was of the mind that the Remans were both enslaved and deliberately engineered by the Romulans into their current form, as an attempt not only to make them more efficient workers on Remus, but to deromulanize them to make them easier to abuse.

About mnhei'sahe...tough concept, definitely. Still, I had a chance to employ it in one of the stories for my Devidian captain. For obvious reasons, Alyosha's true nature is classified and only known to certain people. But because of an incident where, in order to defend his crew against others of his species and save their lives after the others tried to feed on them, Alyosha's true form was revealed to some of his enlisted crew--to include a Mol'Rihannsu exchange crewman. N'Vek's obligations would've required him to report this huge revelation to Obisek (whom I set up as essentially D'Tan's military commander), that there is a Devidian serving in Starfleet.

N'Vek doesn't do so because mnhei'sahe requires him not to take actions that would place a person in danger who had saved his life. Add to this the fact that Alyosha's attempts to put neural energy back into his dying crewmembers (nearly draining himself to death) caused an empathic backwash that meant N'Vek could actually sense his captain's willingness to give his life. With all of that in play, N'Vek believed that mnhei'sahe demanded withholding information from his own government, even if that risked his career, to repay someone who had been prepared to (and nearly did) die for him. Even an extremely alien "being of Air and Fire rather than one of Earth and Water" as he believed he had been dealing with before the revelation.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
Delta Rising: Reanimate? (Y/N) Review Series COMPLETE!
Proudly F2P. Sig by gulberat. Avatar by balsavor.deviantart.com

Last edited by gulberat; 04-26-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 42
04-26-2013, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
lol

Anyway, thanks for the language links. I've never read these books, but I do like to throw in references from the expanded universe in my Foundry missions. Not sure if anyone gets the references, but if they do, it's a little extra fun.

My upcoming missions geared toward Romulan players will feature a villainous organization called the IDE, or Isahhae'edh hsah iahwil'Dhenn nnea Eahesam. Roughly translated as "Destruction Through Advancement of Technology." There's another fun reference for anyone who gets it
Uh-oh. . . a Rihannsu branch of AIM, or RAID? That'll get ugly really quick. . .
Lt. Commander
# 43
04-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Yes, the Vulcan's Soul novels borrow heavily from what Diane Duane originally wrote. . . I haven't read them, but the sense I get from what I have learned is that they are an attempt to essentially re-write Diane Duane's Rihannsu to bring them into line with new developments in the canon (namely, the Remans.)

And on that subject, I like the idea posted above that the Havranssu are essentially genetically engineered. I had a similar idea a bit ago, thinking about Augments and the Klingon augment experiments from Enterprise. Diane Duane mentions in The Romulan Way that, after settling ch'Rihan and ch'Havran, the Rihannsu began warring among themselves (being a warrior people), and quickly reduced their population almost below a viable threshold. Only some aggressive measures, including cloning, were able to save them as a people.

Now, suppose that, during this time, some of the cloning experiments, particularly those involving the more telepathically-inclined, went somehow wrong. Augmenting telepathic abilities and physical size and strength, but causing physical mutation. The Havranssu, in essence, could be "failed" Rihannsu Augments.
Rihannsu
# 44
04-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmodi View Post
Hey, I liked the new Star Trek. Among other things, it got rid of those ridiculous forehead ridges on Romulans!

It also destroyed their home-world made them unrecognizable and ignored years of established lore all for big fx and one of the worst explained back-story's to a protagonist in treks history.

WE did also get bald guys with tattoos..

Whew those ridges-wow good thing they are gone
Lt. Commander
# 45
04-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commandersalvek View Post
It also destroyed their home-world
In a future that no longer exists, except in STO, which is doing great things with it.

Quote:
made them unrecognizable
They look like Romulans to me.

Quote:
and ignored years of established lore
That, unless you grew up watching Trek, was all but impenetrable without a Type-III phaser on setting ten with a frequency modulator.

Quote:
all for big fx
Oh, yeah. . . because there was no interesting character development or good acting in that story AT ALL. Right.

Quote:
and one of the worst explained back-story's to a protagonist in treks history.
So. . . guess you fell asleep during the mind-meld scene, huh?

Quote:
WE did also get bald guys with tattoos..
Your confusion confuses me.

Quote:
Whew those ridges-wow good thing they are gone
Indeed it is, glad we agree.
Rihannsu
# 46
04-26-2013, 05:18 PM
They look like Romulans to me.

Thats speaks volumes-Watch Mad Max you will think you were on Romulus -before it blows up.

That, unless you grew up watching Trek, was all but impenetrable without a Type-III phaser on setting ten with a frequency modulator.

No...um no its pretty easy to follow -just watch it-

Oh, yeah. . . because there was no interesting character development or good acting in that story AT ALL. Right.

I agree that Kirk, Spock and Bones done well -the rest average, but Eric Banas Performance was just horrible-well given the one dimension that is Nero -I understand somewhat.

So. . . guess you fell asleep during the mind-meld scene, huh?

No such luck-plus I made the mistake of reading the official prequel comic,
something you have to do to try and understand that mess or try to suspend your disbelief
It attempts to explain the Narada and also kills off Worf as a throw away
Seriously the worst piece of writing attached to trek

Your confusion confuses me.

None here

Indeed it is, glad we agree.

Now your confused
Lt. Commander
# 47
04-26-2013, 06:47 PM
The prequel comic is disavowed as canon. So that's your own fault.

And there's a vast difference between how Romulan military officers would dress and how Romulan miners would dress.

You know, like how a real-world police uniform bears no resemblance to a real-world miner's outfit.
Captain
# 48
04-26-2013, 08:14 PM
I have been reliably informed that the prequel comic actually specifies that General Worf survived the attack, albeit barely.

You have, therefore, demonstrated that you are incapable of reading a comic book with comprehension. I can thus disregard your other opinions.
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Captain
# 49
04-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmodi View Post
The prequel comic is disavowed as canon. So that's your own fault.

And there's a vast difference between how Romulan military officers would dress and how Romulan miners would dress.

You know, like how a real-world police uniform bears no resemblance to a real-world miner's outfit.
We know what Romulan civilians look like from TNG though, and it was nothing like what Nero and his folks looked like.
Captain
# 50
04-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catoblepasbeta View Post
We know what Romulan civilians look like from TNG though, and it was nothing like what Nero and his folks looked like.
And they looked nothing like any of the Romulans we saw in TOS, either. Your point?
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts