Commander
# 71
06-10-2013, 10:49 AM
CatStarSTO:

It's not necessary to quote the entire OP just to add a video link. Please trim your post.
Ensign
# 72
06-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Wow! I hope you don't mind but I posted this on holodeck.enjin.com with credit to the OP and the original link. Please feel free to check out the posting there as well as post anything you would like to on the site! I'd love it if you have any more posts like this to port over to there. We are a RP community for STO and would welcome any Lore posts, Journals, Stories etc. you may have! Great Post!
Looking for a Star Trek Online Role Play Community? Check out The Holodeck RP webpage! The Cartel a KDF faction RP / PVE Crime Syndicate The Cartel Fleet. join "The Cartel Underworld" channel to get in touch with us.
Ensign
# 73 just wondering?
06-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Hey thanks for all of the good information on Romulans. However I want to know is if there is a sword that they would use,like the Klingons always use a Bat'lyth. If some one knows Please post it, if not give me a clue. Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 74
07-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Well, swords do figure prominently into a lot of Romulan and pre-Reformation Vulcan society, with the Saharien's obviously being the most important (to the level of mythical ability, like the Muramasa/Masamune blades.) There aren't any real descriptions of those swords in the books, but I'm pretty sure they look relatively katana-like. . . there are a few illustrations and book covers which show the swords as looking rather like katanas.
Lt. Commander
# 75
07-13-2013, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doresainbane View Post
Wow! I hope you don't mind but I posted this on holodeck.enjin.com with credit to the OP and the original link. Please feel free to check out the posting there as well as post anything you would like to on the site! I'd love it if you have any more posts like this to port over to there. We are a RP community for STO and would welcome any Lore posts, Journals, Stories etc. you may have! Great Post!
That's fine! Hope you guys find it useful.
Lt. Commander
# 76
07-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Watching Nemesis again, Data mentions that sensors detect signs of dilithium mining and heavy weapons manufacturing on Remus. Going back to earlier posts about theories regarding where Remans came from, if they did evolve from Romulans, perhaps heavy manufacturing on Remus, especially when Romulans relied on nuclear power, may have accelerated their mutation into a new species. This kind of manufacturing would have begun almost as soon as the Romulans settled Romulus and Remus, and so would have given them thousands of years to evolve into a divergent species (Diane Duane's novels place the Romulan exodus and planetfall sometime around the 10th-14th century, if memory serves, accounting for time dialation due to relativistic travel.)
Captain
# 77
07-22-2013, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmodi View Post
Diane Duane's novels place the Romulan exodus and planetfall sometime around the 10th-14th century, if memory serves, accounting for time dialation due to relativistic travel.
In "The Forge", V'Las says the Time of Awakening happened 1,800 years ago from 2154. That places the Romulan exodus around the 4th century.
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Lt. Commander
# 78
07-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
In "The Forge", V'Las says the Time of Awakening happened 1,800 years ago from 2154. That places the Romulan exodus around the 4th century.
Ah. Well, that episode was written well after Diane Duane's novels, so discontinuity is to be expected.

But taking that date gives an even longer time for the Remans and Romulans to evolve into extremely divergent subspecies.
Lt. Commander
# 79
08-01-2013, 11:00 PM
Bumping because I feel like it.
Lieutenant
# 80
08-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
I always preferred the theory that the Remans were a species indigenous to Remus and were gradually enslaved by the "new arrivals". I have trouble believing that Romulans could "evolve" into that so quickly.

@the fingertip kiss thing: I remember Tuvok did the same thing to his wife in "Bliss".
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmodi View Post
Bumping because I feel like it.
Well thanks.

I don't hold with the theory that Remans were supposed to be a different species; at least not until Nemesis, but perhaps a different race, as with e.g. Caucasian being different from African and Asian, etc. I was surprised by the Nemesis depiction of them being so different from Romulans, but then the historical references to Remans and Remus were so vague (and inconsistent, as to whether they were separate peoples or planets or whether Remus was a satellite of Romulas), that they could get away with introducing Remans as almost anything.

I do therefore like that in the game the Remans unite (or perhaps reunite) with the Romulans on New Romulas.

The simplied 60s naming of these aliens as Romulans and Remans was to make it obvious to viewers that these guys were essentially regarded as 'Romans in Space', and was an idea that served its purpose at the time. However it does not really stand the test of time - no one in fiction would be quite so obvious with the name of an alien race today, but the name is entrenched in our psyche as part of Star Trek lore - so what do you do?

They are Romulans (and Remans) to us - the humans and the Feds - but to them, they are in their own language Rihannsu - at least according to the books referred to above.

I did therefore particularly like Diane Duanne's Romulan commenting (to himself in his own thoughts, IIRC), on the Human/Federation's translation of the names of their people as Romulans and Remans, as a lazy and contemptuous Human reference to 'their' own past empires.

This suggests it probably may have come about in the time of the Federation-Romulan war, and was, in part, a propaganda name, like "Charlie", or "The Hun", as well as being a comparison between how the RSE and Roman Empire operated. This offers up a plausible explanation for the name that we give a species that we encounter in the future - and that it is not a straight translation (like Vulcan), but that naming has resulted in how we hear Romulans say Rihannsu, through the not-quite-so universal translator.

As I've stated elsewhere, alongside the cunning and manipulative characteristics that we know Romulans for, for which we also have in this thread, perhaps to some people's surprise, honourable (I agree), I would add dutiful. I think Mark Lenard's Romulan ship captain in Balance of Terror can be described thus, as perhaps can Donatra in Nemesis, and how about Admiral Jarok as played by James Sloyan in TNG's The Defector. Whether you think he was misguided and a traitor, or admirable and brave is open to debate, but clearly he felt a duty to his people and was trying - so he thought - to prevent a needless war.

I am delighted that the Devs have now incorporated The Romulans so much into the game, as I believe they absolutely deserve their place as the 'third' major entity.

I also hope that they do expand upon it so that they do become independent of either the Fed or KDF faction, as because with much of what has been stated in this thread, there is a lot more to the Romulans than being 'the sneaky bad guys', and seeing as there is e.g. apparent historical animosity between them and The Breen (isn't 'never turn your back on a Breen' a Romulan saying?), there is plenty of scope to play with them in the game.

I regard LOR as a start, not a finished article, and I hope that this is the prevailing view amongst STO players and the Devs and that it will open the door to some more interesting content in due course.

Last edited by ajm1067; 08-02-2013 at 10:49 AM.