Lt. Commander
# 141
04-15-2013, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
What he said.

I <3 Schrodi. Walking onto a station full of angry Gorn in your underwear with a plan to kill them in humiliating fashion takes serious guts.
Or being seriously nuts, there are some in starfleet who don't think she's firing on all thrusters. Going deeper into that didn't seem to work, so will save that for later.
Captain
# 142
04-15-2013, 07:25 AM
@sander - Damn long and worth it all. I couldn't put it down (since I print out the LCs)! Grimes was my favorite in this one and I think that is because of his resistance to Nivek. I was really connected to your characters and I'm looking forward to read more

@jonsills - MOAR GRUNT! This guy is awesome and the Bastogne has so much character for not doing much

@ambassadormolari - I must know where you are getting your inspiration for Orion culture!
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Commander
# 143
04-15-2013, 08:09 AM
@sander: What can I say, the chain of command is a wonderful thing when you can fob off assignments to lower-ranking Captains. Glad you enjoyed it!

@cmdrscarlet: For the most part, my info comes from Memory Alpha, though I'm also making up quite a bit of stuff as I go along. Apparently, there's also an RP source book with a lot of background on the Orions, but I have no doubt it must be incredibly rare by now. I am willing to admit that, given my only basic knowledge of the Orions, there's probably a lot that I'm getting wrong.
Commander
# 144
04-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
Considering the last two stories I posted each ran 30 pages in MS word ( ) I don't think you need to worry about running out of room.
Hehe...well, I have a couple of stories that would run a good long time, and probably fill a novel or two. However, people reading a forum online don't usually have the eye stamina to deal with a 'wall of text', and they'd probably get a version of road hypnosis if I tried to commit those stories here, especially when we're limited to one entry (post?) for LCs. I also like to think part of the challenge is seeing how much you can do with a short page to work with.

On the other hand, if the Moderators could be pursuaded to reserve pages 2-50 on the next LC....
Career Officer
# 145
04-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danqueller View Post
Hehe...well, I have a couple of stories that would run a good long time, and probably fill a novel or two. However, people reading a forum online don't usually have the eye stamina to deal with a 'wall of text', and they'd probably get a version of road hypnosis if I tried to commit those stories here, especially when we're limited to one entry (post?) for LCs. I also like to think part of the challenge is seeing how much you can do with a short page to work with.

On the other hand, if the Moderators could be pursuaded to reserve pages 2-50 on the next LC....
Or just post the whole story chapter-by-chapter in Ten Forward. People do it all the time.
Career Officer
# 146
04-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassadormolari View Post
@sander: What can I say, the chain of command is a wonderful thing when you can fob off assignments to lower-ranking Captains. Glad you enjoyed it!

@cmdrscarlet: For the most part, my info comes from Memory Alpha, though I'm also making up quite a bit of stuff as I go along. Apparently, there's also an RP source book with a lot of background on the Orions, but I have no doubt it must be incredibly rare by now. I am willing to admit that, given my only basic knowledge of the Orions, there's probably a lot that I'm getting wrong.
That's part of the fun of writing for species with out a lot of canon source material (Orions, Gorn, Caitians, made-up aliens, etc.) They're a blank slate, and you can fill them in however you want to.
Career Officer
# 147
04-15-2013, 03:18 PM
@edinator96 - Great start. I really like they way you opened your entry.

You'll want to edit out the "?"s which replace quotation marks, apostrophes and dashes from a lot of word processors. I discovered that if you do your typing in Notepad and then transfer to MS Word or another word processor for spell-checking and editing you can eliminate the problem.
Lt. Commander
# 148
04-15-2013, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassadormolari View Post
@sparklysoldier: I loved the confrontation between Azera and Drake, and liked the interesting twist Drake pulled at the end to avoid imprisonment. Overall, a really cleverly-written piece that highlights just how resourceful-- and despicable-- Section 31 can be.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
@ sparklysoldier - Yet. Another. Awesome. Piece! Poor Drake and yet, too bad Drake :-P I agree that this was a side of Azera that was refreshing to see.
I'm glad you liked it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
Well, I finally finished my story despite a malfunctioning laptop's attempt to kill it by shutting down and deleting the autosave. I reconstructed the story in handwritten form and intend to transcribe it tomorrow. Parts of it aren't what I'd hoped for due to the frustration and the rush job, but I hope that when it's ready, you'll enjoy it nonetheless.
...I'm sorry to hear that, and I'll look forward to reading it whenever you have it all pieced back together. Maybe in the process you'll come up with some ideas that you wouldn't have thought of otherwise, and it'll even itself out? That's what I try to tell myself when I lose hours of work to a moody computer...

I've read a few more stories, and hopefully by tomorrow I'll have at least one more to comment on...

@cmdscarlet: You'd talked before about preferring to keep your stories short, but you made this longer one work well! It moves quickly, keeps up a fast pace and has some great visuals of the ground fighting and space battle (something that's hardly ever easy). Kathryn's starting to worry me a little, but she's also worrying her crew a little, and that'll make for a very interesting story to come...

@khayuung: The presentation as a series of logs/files with some of the information redacted helps create suspense, and your characters have a much more military, combat-driven style of speech that's really engrossing and authentic. I admittedly had some trouble keeping up with what's happening, but that's probably because it's not finished yet. I'll look forward to the conclusion!

@ambassadormolari: Okay, that entry's really clever (and the italics were fine)! The inversion of the topic is very well done, and I like the way you explore the Orion society: it almost has kind of an ancient Egyptian/Arabian feel, with noble marriages, palace intrigues and assassination plots, that fits in nicely with Trek's cultural metaphors. I'd love to read more of your take on them!
Captain
# 149
04-16-2013, 12:45 AM
Some parts of this did not come off as well as I'd hoped--or as detailed--due to lost data from my laptop crashing during the writing process...but I still think I've managed something decent.

A costlier battle than I anticipated writing, for sure.

"The Interdictor"
-----------
Do you like story-based Foundry missions? If so, please check out my mission, "Finding Lascaux."

Captain
# 150
04-16-2013, 12:53 AM
Even Alexei Ivanovich can't win 'em all, I guess.

Sigh.

Good story, though.
-------------------------------------------

"You're as crazy as the people on Twitter!" - Samuel L. Jackson