Lt. Commander
What are other positions for descriptive purposes one can have bridge officers assigned to besides the first officer and department heads: (Chief Engineer, Chief Operations Officer, Chief Science Officer, Chief Medical Officer, Chief Tactical Officer, and Chief of Security)?
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
04-13-2013, 02:53 PM
In game? None.

In any other setting... Head of Xenobiology, Head of Astrophysics, Chief Transporter Officer, Helm Officer, Communications Officer, Bartender... you hopefully see where I'm heading...
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
04-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Each bridge station has a b and c shift
Captain
# 4
04-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Department heads have more important things to do than sit at consoles on the bridge.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
04-13-2013, 03:17 PM
It depends on many factors--size and makeup of the crew, for example, would have an effect. However, above all, the ship's mission would likely determine what and how many officers would be required.

Assuming each department has a commissioned officer in charge, you'll have the major departments covered: Security, Tactical, Operations, Engineering, Science, and Medical. You can then specialize these departments into their various disciplines: For example, Tactical may include Intelligence and Strategic Operations; Science would likely include heads of each field from Biology to Physics; Operations might have a flight control officer and would certainly have a quartermaster, but Operations also has your chief transporter; Engineering would be divided into the various systems from engines to computer systems. But in all cases, these could be handed to NCOs or Warrant Officers. A captain might even employ a commissioned yeoman.

In the end, it's really up to a captain's needs in relation to the basic structure of the ship's command staff. Too many officers is a problem, as is too few.

EDIT - As mentioned, each department would have junior officers leading the various duty shifts, but they would likely be commanded by their respective senior officer in charge of the overall department.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowrulesupreme View Post
In game? None.

In any other setting... Head of Xenobiology, Head of Astrophysics, Chief Transporter Officer, Helm Officer, Communications Officer, Bartender... you hopefully see where I'm heading...
I see exactly where you're heading because when I'm describing my bridge officers I want to show that they actually have positions aboard ship.

in the examples you provided it seems like

Head of Xenobiology = Science
Head of Astrophysics = Science
Chief Transporter Officer = Engineering
Helm Officer = Tactical
Communications Officer = Engineering
Bartender = Any (but make costume look non-military in nature relative to other BOFFs)

other ideas :-)
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
04-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbiehdykeman View Post
I see exactly where you're heading because when I'm describing my bridge officers I want to show that they actually have positions aboard ship.

in the examples you provided it seems like

Head of Xenobiology = Science
Head of Astrophysics = Science
Chief Transporter Officer = Engineering
Helm Officer = Tactical
Communications Officer = Engineering
Bartender = Any (but make costume look non-military in nature relative to other BOFFs)

other ideas :-)
Communications would fall under Operations, I believe.
Career Officer
# 8
04-13-2013, 04:09 PM
I have a couple of my officers heading the 'Emergency Response Teams'. Kind of imagine these to be like the Hazard Team in Elite Force games, but dedicated to performing tasks like when you use 'Engineering Team' in space.

It's also easy to have Junior Bridge Officers. In TNG, it was common to have some random ensign running the conn, even if they weren't the head of a particular group. But they were available for bridge duty nonetheless.

I also have a Special Research Director in charge of special projects. Not a standard ship operations position, but some independent laboratories working on long-term research.
Captain
# 9
04-13-2013, 04:18 PM
My current KDF character that I've nearly finished levelling has been giving out various titles to his BOFFs to give them a role on the ship.

First Officer (Tactical BOFF)
Second Officer (Engineering BOFF)
Third Officer (Science BOFF)
Doctor
Engineering Officer
Engineer
Pilot (assigned to shuttlecraft)
Sergeant

All these bridge officer titles are in Klingon in game, but the Gateway doesn't display them, and I don't remember them by memory. XD I also have two liaison officers from New Romulus, a Subcommander and a Centurion.

For my Fed characters, I tend to stick with the roles each is given as their respective Department Head positions for the DOFF menu.

Vice Admiral Laurence Corrin - USS Trafalgar
Captain Takaram ch'Rihan - USS Khellian
Captain Korax joH'a' vo'poH - USS Hartnell
General Hothkar, Son of Ta'lon - IKS oDwI'
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
04-13-2013, 04:43 PM
To me, I "justified it" by knowing that they could be any kind of officer, not just the bridge crew and department heads. A lot of my main character's BOffs are actually stationed throughout her ship and at all kinds of different positions.