Captain
# 331
04-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirricwin View Post
If Wargaming can avoid that silly Eurocrat tax and charge their $30 as $30 (approx ?19.80 GBP) then why cant PWE?
Wargaming.net is owned by BWT, which is an Australian company. Australia probably has an agreement with the EU and uses their rules for VAT - and thus they get an exception, as EU members normally get even though Australia isn't in the EU. They get to claim VAT as a inter-company and thus don't need to collect it. The US has no VAT laws, and thus they can't be in agreement with the EU laws.

And, of course, there are some companies which are just willing to eat the 15-25% themselves, but no company's required to. PWE isn't one of those companies - and most US companies also won't eat it.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Career Officer
# 332
04-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Well that makes sense.
Career Officer
# 333
04-19-2013, 10:45 AM
"I'll take eight!"

-Dr. Zoidberg
Career Officer
# 334
04-19-2013, 11:52 AM
I'd buy it in a minute if it was available in the C/Z-Store
Captain
# 335
04-19-2013, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by otakuboyt View Post
I'd buy it in a minute if it was available in the C/Z-Store
Most of it will be after the 21st of May - just not on sale.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 336 Seriously?
04-19-2013, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig76 View Post
yeah, i think it should be thrown in as a added bonus for being a lifetime member
I think not. Life Time Subscribers already reap numerous benefits which actually cost the game some long term revenue.Furthermore, it has already been noted that Gold/LTS players will be given some kind of incentive for just being...whatever. These pre-order items are an incentive for all players to invest in new content and allow PWE/Cryptic to recover the costs of development. LTS players, with their free Zen stipend will have the option of acquiring most of these items over the long run at no additional cost. If LTS players want them sooner, they can voluntarily purchase the items at the same cost as all other players. Such is the price of convenience and immediate gratification. I'm quite glad that PWE/Cryptic has chosen this method and that some of these benefits will only be available to players who are willing to invest in both this expansion and the concept of future STO expansions.
Lt. Commander
# 337
04-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Still, they could have used something a little more Romulan:

RALH: High Commander
RAUP: Lord Commander
VA: Supreme Commander
LoL! Don't know much about Star Trek Romulans, eh?
Captain
# 338
04-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azyurion View Post
LoL! Don't know much about Star Trek Romulans, eh?
I simply think it's stupid to use the same Ranks as the Federation at the Admiral level. They should be more specific to the Faction - without going into political titles.
Lt. Commander
# 339
04-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
I simply think it's stupid to use the same Ranks as the Federation at the Admiral level. They should be more specific to the Faction - without going into political titles.
I understand your position, but the Romulan ranks and titles in canon have always been similar to both the Federation and Klingon ranks. Really, once you get past Sub-Commander (as a rank) the ST Romulan (military) pretty much would look just like what we already have.

Consul and ProConsul would be nifty titles to differentiate the higher tiered Romulan officers from their existing factional counterparts. However, you are correct that the titles were political in later Roman society.

However, in their earliest usage, they were actually more of a hybrid rank. Originally, Consuls in Roman society were expected to be both civil leaders and military commanders of the legions. In many ways, the title is most equivalent to the Imperial British colonial position of Governor-General, who were heads of the local colony and commander in chief of the local military contingent.. I think, in that context, they would make fine and appropriate titles for high tiered STO Romulans.

If STO were touse actual Roman senior military rank titles forits factional rank structure, then higher tiered STO Romulans would have ranks such as Legate, Tribune and Prefect. As you can see, that would overlap with canon Cardassian structures and likely upset some players.

Of course, canon also used the title Uhlan, which were historically a type of 19th century european cavalry unit. So, following that canon tradition, STO could rightfully adapt such words as Dragoon, Hussar and Cuirassiers. While completely inappropriate, it would, at least be unique and sound cool.

As for various versions of Commander. Well, that is just uninspired and boring. I personally would rather see the various forms of the Marshal title implemented than umpteen versions of Commander.

To each his own, I suppose and I certainly respect (but disagree with) your opinion.
Career Officer
# 340
04-19-2013, 02:50 PM
I still don't get the price discrepancy. At current exchange rates;

$124.99 = ?82.06 + VAT = ?98.47

But because I can't pay in GBP or Dollars (Idk why, pretty sure I didn't pay Euros for my LTS) I have to pay in Euros, which according to my order page is;

119.99 EUR = ?102.78 + VAT =?123

Can someone explain why there is like a ?20 discrepancy? Economics, as you can guess, is not my strong point.

EDIT: Never mind, it's because of the stupid Economy.
Iconian? A label created by the Dewans to give voice to their destruction.
In the end, what they chose to call us is irrelevant.
We simply... are.

Last edited by johngazman; 04-19-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Closed Thread