Lt. Commander
My game was crashing at the character creation screen, with the error decompressing files that many have been complaining of at various points in the game.

I finally got it working, with lots of help from you guys on the forums.
here's what i did:

1. Turn on Force Verify Files in the launcher options
2. Run game, wait for crash.
3. Open force_verify.log and find the timestamp on the first file that fails to load
4. Open pcl.log and find the timestamp that most closely corresponds to the force_verify time
5. Delete the hogg file that was being scanned at the time of the error/crash
6. Allow the launcher to patch your game, and it should replace the file you just deleted
7. Play game!

If the timestamps don't match exactly, use find the last file that you're sure actually worked, and delete anything after that to be safe.

I deleted/patched texture.hogg, exes.hogg, and data.hogg, but others have reported problems with different problems, so check the logs before deleting anything.

Good luck!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-13-2010, 10:28 AM
{deleted} wrong thread
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-13-2010, 10:38 AM
I am having this problem as well, I'll try this when I get home, thanks. Hopefully this will get fixed so I don't have to dive into the files every night.

I encountered this after my second mission last night and it ruined my game night =( I was having a great time while I was going though!
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Having this problem too... working through deleting files and letting it repatch, but no luck so far... but at least I can try something now.
Lt. Commander
# 5 Found a fix
01-14-2010, 05:41 AM
Good Morning All,

I know that many of you have been having this "Fatal Error: Error Decompressing File". I worked on it all last night but I found the issue and the fix. Keep in mind this fix may only work in a specific environment.

My Environment:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/14/2010, 08:29:17
Machine name: You really don't need that information
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.090803-2339)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: Compaq Presario CQ60 Notebook PC
BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1
Processor: AMD Athlon Dual-Core QL-62 (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 1790MB RAM
Page File: 1103MB used, 2722MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

So if the above is a match for you I suggest you try. If it does not match. Well it might be worth a shot anyway.

Step 1) Open "C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\piggs"
Step 2) Copy all .hogg files into another folder for back up and comparison later.
Step 3) Delete all .hogg files
Step 4) Reboot - I can not stress how important this step is. If you do not reboot then it does not clear the cached versions of the corrupt files.
Step 5) Launch STO.exe
Step 6) Let the client patch itself. It will be about 10 gigs. It takes a long time so go do something else.
Step 7) After patching is done do not start the game. I repeat do not start the game. REBOOT! This is will clear all cache again as well as correct any registry entries.
Step 8) Launch STO.exe and enjoy the game.

See you all out there!
Captain Simon Tierce
U.S.S Lasarus