Community Moderator
# 71
04-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
Within a traditional "Star Trek" world dynamic, farmers wouldn't know how to use a starship. Farmers could possibly know how to use a shuttle craft. You would also not have access to military intelligence, technology, and weaponry. Its doesn't make any sense.

rofl...

Where would you get the crew members? Farmer Jane, Steve, and Bob down the street?

If you gathered a group of war veterans, I can see how this would work.
Because you ARE a war veteran, who instead of continuing service to an Empire that no longer represents defending your people, but instead has become an oppressive force doing more harm than good, so you retired and became a farmer? But then, something happens, and you have no choice but to return to service?

Go by your local feed store and find an old farmer, old enough to have been of age during WWII, and ask him if he is a veteran. Odds are he'll say "yes". Odds are pretty good if he's old enough for Viet Nam, as well.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Career Officer
# 72
04-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefl View Post
We already know that the average Romulan citizen was oppressed by their government via the Tal Shiar. We heard about it in TNG during the episode where Troi is masquerading as one. Even the military feared the Tal Shiar. So I can easily believe that the average citizen after losing everything and having the opportunity to escape oppression would be looking for a savior in the FED or KDF.
Yep, and in the TNG episode "Face of the Enemy" it's STRONGLY suggested that the Tal Shiar officer Troi is impersonating was outright killed to prevent any possibility of her ruining the operation. My point? There are indeed Romulans who will use/abuse/kill other Romulans if it's needed to achieve a goal. <--- And that's fron on TV canon; so I don't get all the angst or belief that 'Romulans wouldn't fire on or fight each other to achieve their goals.' that some Romulan fans see as sacrosanct. Hell, the Romulans were patterned after the ancient Roman Empire - and if you know even a little Roman Empire history it was rife with Romans plotting against each other, and often fighting/killing each other to acquire wealth, power, etc. (Hell, remember only the Western Roman Empire fell, in part because the Eastern part in Constantinople wouldn't send military aide.) <--- Star Trek Romulans shouldn't be any different given that type of background.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Captain
# 73
04-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
It's presumably the reason for the tutorial. We know you don't stay on Virinat, so something must happen to make you leave. It seems likely that will be in the tutorial.
According to one of the last blogs, we have to choose our ally at level ten. However, the choice does not matter until you hit level 40ish. Its weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Because you ARE a war veteran, who instead of continuing service to an Empire that no longer represents defending your people, but instead has become an oppressive force doing more harm than good, so you retired and became a farmer? But then, something happens, and you have no choice but to return to service?

Go by your local feed store and find an old farmer, old enough to have been of age during WWII, and ask him if he is a veteran. Odds are he'll say "yes". Odds are pretty good if he's old enough for Viet Nam, as well.
I agree. As I said in that quoted post, the war veteran slant would work.
Republic Veteran
# 74
04-03-2013, 01:27 PM
We are can pretty much guess that farm is going to get Nuked

Starfleet Veteran
# 75
04-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 View Post
No, Bajor was just on the brink of one. Seems to me this would fit in just fine.
Also Starfleet can interfere in this case, since this apparent civil conflict is between the new Romulan Republic and the Tal Shiar. The Tal Shiar who are being backed by a powerful outside third party. Much like the situation we saw with the Klingon civil war, and the Bajoran civil conflict in early DS9, once there's the influence of some third party faction meddling in the internal affairs of another power, then the Federation have no issues also getting involved.

It's just a good thing this time round, the third party just so happens to want to completely destroy us all, so we can go full hog in the support our allies no matter what department.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook

Last edited by amosov78; 04-03-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Captain
# 76
04-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
Yep, and in the TNG episode "Face of the Enemy" it's STRONGLY suggested that the Tal Shiar officer Troi is impersonating was outright killed to prevent any possibility of her ruining the operation. My point? There are indeed Romulans who will use/abuse/kill other Romulans if it's needed to achieve a goal. <--- And that's fron on TV canon; so I don't get all the angst or belief that 'Romulans wouldn't fire on or fight each other to achieve their goals.' that some Romulan fans see as sacrosanct. Hell, the Romulans were patterned after the ancient Roman Empire - and if you know even a little Roman Empire history it was rife with Romans plotting against each other, and often fighting/killing each other to acquire wealth, power, etc. (Hell, remember only the Western Roman Empire fell, in part because the Eastern part in Constantinople wouldn't send military aide.) <--- Star Trek Romulans shouldn't be any different given that type of background.
Please, Romulan love their fellow Romulans. It isn't like they would waste the entire Senate in their quest for power... oh wait, nevermind.
Captain
# 77
04-03-2013, 01:32 PM
The Romulan Maquis?
Rihannsu
# 78
04-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Says you.

It doesnt say anything about that and Hobus was what? 23 years ago so do tell what War are you even talking about that we are a veteran of because it sure as hell not the Dominion War that ended over 30 years ago.

Quote:
... WHAT?

You DO realize WW II ended in 1945, people that fought in WW II, thats 68 YEARS ago, would be at best 86.

Old farmer? Try RETIREMENT HOME ... or Hospital, you are already hard pressed to find a Korean Vet.
Commander
# 79
04-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
Oh and I got it! The first 10 levels will be obtained via "collect fruits" missions on trees. This is the new tutorial!

Now i want to be a farmer.
If I don't get a mission to wake up lazy [s]orc[/s] reman peons, I will be very upset.

Fanfiction! ZOMG! Read it now!
kate-wintersbite.deviantart.com/art/0x01-Treachery-293641403
Republic Veteran
# 80
04-03-2013, 01:36 PM
ACT 2

The Romulan Farm boy needs a ship, he finds a bar where he finds a wise cracking shoot first Romulan mercenary.

Farmboy: *sees the ship*it's a piece of junk and ancient

Mercenary: She may not look like much, but she made the Drozana Run in less than 12 parsecs.

And they are off to save the Princess So'hot.