Republic Veteran
# 1 Why do we have classes again?
04-03-2013, 01:29 PM
The three classes currently really only determine one or two things at this point.

- A list of automatically granted Active Ground and Space Abilities
- A list of selectable traits in the S8 Trait revamp specific to each class
- Ability Kits (What happened to letting us craft/design/Select kit powers?)

Nothing else is tied to classes, as any class can fly any type of starship and use any type of weapon/item possible.
Gameplay "identity" is already muddled because of that, and it's not like the current content/gameplay requires any of the specific classes, mission specific class objectives was never fully realized, and it shouldn't either on that note.
In regards to the three classes specific Ground Combat skill trees, those abilities could still be available, but distilled/refined down to fewer categories, and thus open up more combinations for the players.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have "Captains" or "Federation Career"/"Klingon Career"/"Romulan career" paths and allow players to choose any combination of Active Abilities they want from the 30 currently available (10 maximum), and any of the traits from upcoming trait revamp, and any kits they so choose? Things can be balanced out in the event of any "killer combinations", as with all other things.

Variety and diversity would be promoted considerably over the rigidity of the current class structures. No two players would have the same combination of abilities and traits, or at least it would be very unlikely.

Last edited by aexrael; 04-03-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Career Officer
# 2
04-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aexrael View Post
The three classes currently really only determine one or two things at this point.

- A list of automatically granted Active Ground and Space Abilities
- A list of selectable traits in the S8 Trait revamp specific to each class

Nothing else is tied to classes, as any class can fly any type of starship and use any type of weapon/item possible.
Gameplay "identity" is already muddled because of that, and it's not like the current content/gameplay requires any of the specific classes, mission specific class objectives was never fully realized, and it shouldn't either on that note.
In regards to the three classes specific Ground Combat skill trees, those abilities could still be available, but distilled/refined down to fewer categories, and thus open up more combinations for the players.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have "Captains" or "Federation Career"/"Klingon Career"/"Romulan career" paths and allow players to choose any combination of Active Abilities they want from the 30 currently available (10 maximum), and any of the traits from upcoming trait revamp, and any kits they so choose? Things can be balanced out in the event of any "killer combinations", as with all other things.

Variety and diversity would be promoted considerably over the rigidity of the current class structures. No two players would have the same combination of abilities and traits, or at least it would be very unlikely.
There already is a killer combination. It's called a Tactical captain. Probably its weakest power is Space FOMM (due to it being a Tac Debuff and easily cleared by Tac Team). If you could sub something else for it, I see everybody going Rotate Shield Frequency.
Captain
# 3
04-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Crafting revamp never happened. And that was supposed to be part of a crafting revamp.
Republic Veteran
# 4
04-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Quote:
That would be so fun. I'd pick:
Attack Pattern: Alpha
Sensor Scan
Miracle Worker
Tactical Fleet

And if they didn't set quotas for space versus ground abilities...

Last edited by corgatag; 04-03-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Captain
# 5
04-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgatag View Post
That would be so fun. I'd pick:
Attack Pattern: Alpha
Sensor Scan
Miracle Worker
Tactical Fleet

And if they didn't set quotas for space versus ground abilities...
Exactly the problem, and why the game has Classes.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Rihannsu
# 6
04-03-2013, 03:56 PM
I wish they would steal/borrow a similar system as Secret World's so you just have a character and you can customize yourself accordingly.
Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
Captain
# 7
04-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadieras View Post
I wish they would steal/borrow a similar system as Secret World's so you just have a character and you can customize yourself accordingly.
They could just borrow a similar system as Champions Online, so you have a character, that can customize itself accordingly.
Captain
# 8
04-03-2013, 04:03 PM
I still think they should give fleets one big ship mode.

1 ship, 1 guild, a whole lot of adventures. The hard part is giving everyone something to do.

As for classes, at least we aren't classes based on the captains. You will follow this build and only this build!
Captain
# 9
04-03-2013, 04:09 PM
I have more problem with the new traits still being trinity based. Engineer have tankish traits, Tac DPS, and sci heal/cc. But the whole game is a DPS race, and finally, the only one really gifted is, the tac. Again.
Even if they remove somehow the DPS race behind, many players will not like being restricted to tank or heal when they used to DPS.
It's even worst when some traits will be limited to only 1 kit. I've seen an engineer traits to add HP to pets. It's useless for half the engineer kit, only work for the drones.

Why don't we have the choice ? For example : engineer ground traits, your pet have more hp... OR your mine does more damage (pick one).
Career Officer
# 10
04-03-2013, 04:10 PM
The LoR update introduces class specific traits while buffing traits in general and extending everyone out to 4 ground and 4 space traits.