Career Officer
# 21
04-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerstorm View Post
The game has one class (Tactical) and two mistakes (Engineer and Science).

Too late.
At least Tacs and Science bring something to the team.
Republic Veteran
# 22
04-04-2013, 03:14 AM
Perhaps OP should play several months as an engineer only and see the effect classes have in that case.
# 23
04-04-2013, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aexrael View Post
- Ability Kits (What happened to letting us craft/design/Select kit powers?)
Been waiting for that one forever. I'd combine the two explosives in one eng kit with the two turrets from another and possibly a health gen in a single kit.

And don't get me started on how the sci healing does nothing to remove debuffs or DoTs anymore!

These Romulan embassy kits are horrible and should definitely be replaced.
MMO's of 2014 where normal gameplay is considered an exploit and the eastern billing model is celebrated by apologists. smh
Captain
# 24
04-04-2013, 05:17 AM
Quote:
The game has one class (Tactical) and two mistakes (Engineer and Science).
Sci isn't a mistake. The "standard" PvP team is 2 Tac and *3* Sci. Yes, Sci is MORE important than More Tacs. The game has two space classes, one of which is a PvP-only class. Ground, all classes are useful.
Career Officer
# 25
04-04-2013, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
They could just borrow a similar system as Champions Online, so you have a character, that can customize itself accordingly.
The Freeforms in CO are a lot of fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarskx View Post
The cost of actually commissioning an artisan to make a real physical model of my starship using 1 pound of 14k gold will probably cost less than creating a "gold ship" in STO.
Captain
# 26
04-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
Sci isn't a mistake. The "standard" PvP team is 2 Tac and *3* Sci. Yes, Sci is MORE important than More Tacs. The game has two space classes, one of which is a PvP-only class. Ground, all classes are useful.
I' dunno, but seeing around all the TACs in all aspects in the game today begs otherwise. Ground is a different thing altogether. But outside of that, no.

This game is predominantly DPS oriented. This game makes time demands for the players to burn through the enemy quickly. STFs, Fleet Missions, whatever. If you're not lending towards that damage output in a meaningful way, your uses to the team are minimal. And the only reason why Science is even desired in PVP... the ONLY reason... is SNB. One Sci Captain ability has defined the usefulness of an entire class. Outside of that, it means nothing.
Captain
# 27
04-04-2013, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
If Cryptic were to make PvP into something other than epeen stroking, then I would view Science differently.

Also, ground? LOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by millimidget View Post
They're changing it to only trigger under 50%, and adding a mitigation buff component, so I can only assume they're (drastically) reducing the damage increase offered by GDF.

I don't know if that would change your opinion on it.
If I don't get a chance to test it on Tribble then I'll wait for the May update and see. If the change is significant nerfage, then I would instead choose Photonic Fleet. Not that I expect Cryptic to overhaul the current class system anyway.

Last edited by tinkerstorm; 04-04-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Career Officer
# 28
04-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Quote:
If the current rank abilities stay where they are now:
AP: Alpha
Subnucleonic Beam
Tactical Initiative
Go Down Fighting
Tactical Fleet

Engineers get such useful stuff.
Rotate Shield Frequency is a very valuable power. Sure, it has a lengthy cooldown, but for 30 seconds it gives you +30% Shield DR.

Also, APA3 + NI3 would make for *very* powerful alphas.
Captain
# 29
04-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
Also, APA3 + NI3 would make for *very* powerful alphas.
June 3, 2010 patch notes:

"The weapon energy drain mechanic will be changing once this build goes to Holodeck. Weapon Power drain is now instantly refunded at the end of a weapon?s firing cycle, instead of a slow return as was previously implemented. Multiple weapons being fired at the same time will still produce a significant drain and will affect their damage proportionately, but once the weapons stop firing, the weapon power level will immediately return to normal."