Career Officer
# 11
04-04-2013, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
I also just noticed it does not stick per character. so if i pick the klingon one for my klingon, it will show up as Klingon for all of them and id have to manually change each time.

Maybe thats a bug and just not working right yet, i dont know, but it would be nice if the choice is remembered for each character

I really tried to find the official dev post that can back what I will say: It was said that, how UI color system, the setting is saved computer side on one file for the entire game. It was more than just trivial to code the possibility to customize color schemes for each character...

.. Unless a dev says otherwise, I do not think we will see this behavior change any time soon.

SERVER NOT RESPONDING (1701s)
Survivor of Romulus
# 12
04-04-2013, 04:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
From what I've seen, there will be a way to create your own custom color themes, but it might require an addon file or some hackery like that. More details will be shared once UI has it up and running. If that isn't the case, then we'll consider adding in specific colored themes that have a stronger red.
This is another one of those oops moments when your devs are not on the ball. Same goes for not being able to choose separate pallets for different characters.

This is basic stuff, hopefully, unlike the fleetbase naming mess, it will be fixed before going live

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginamala78 View Post
The stick Cryptic keep bringing out isn't to discourage you from playing, its to discourage you from playing incorrectly. The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Lieutenant
# 13
04-04-2013, 04:35 AM
Quote:
From what I've seen, there will be a way to create your own custom color themes, but it might require an addon file or some hackery like that. More details will be shared once UI has it up and running. If that isn't the case, then we'll consider adding in specific colored themes that have a stronger red.
First off, you said in a previous Q & A that we WILL have a way to customize the colors of the new UI. Now you're saying that the tech for customizing it ain't even in the game yet.

Second, one rather simple solution, is to create 2 new "themes" which emulate the look of the current FED and KDF UI:s.

Lastly, while I kinda like the new UI skin (eventhough it needs a bit more polish), I had hoped a new UI would mean from the ground-up, fixing the problems of CPU usage whenever you open a new window etc.
Career Officer
# 14
04-04-2013, 06:22 AM
Quote:
I also just noticed it does not stick per character. so if i pick the klingon one for my klingon, it will show up as Klingon for all of them and id have to manually change each time.

Maybe thats a bug and just not working right yet, i dont know, but it would be nice if the choice is remembered for each character
This was explained by another dev elsewhere. The default color scheme (I think it's called Standard in game) will give you the Federation look on Fed characters, the Klingon look on Klingon characters, and the Romulan look on Romulan characters. All others are per-account changes and are persistent across all characters. It's apparently been designed that way and is, at this time, working as intended.
Rihannsu
# 15
04-04-2013, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canis36 View Post
This was explained by another dev elsewhere. The default color scheme (I think it's called Standard in game) will give you the Federation look on Fed characters, the Klingon look on Klingon characters, and the Romulan look on Romulan characters. All others are per-account changes and are persistent across all characters. It's apparently been designed that way and is, at this time, working as intended.
Since writing this I spoke to Thomas on twitter and he said he was speaking to the programmers about it, so there might be something they can do. we will have to wait and see.

i suspect if they cant do it, then it will be because of tech limitations rather than someone making that choice.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 16
04-04-2013, 06:50 AM
People can never be happy... I wonder why Devs even bother sometimes *lol*

SERVER NOT RESPONDING (1701s)
Career Officer
# 17
04-04-2013, 06:51 AM
Its not even finished and they are complaining its not finished? I don't get it
Delirium Tremens
Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
Nothing to do anymore.
http://dtfleet.com/
Visit our Youtube channel
Career Officer
# 18
04-04-2013, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Since writing this I spoke to Thomas on twitter and he said he was speaking to the programmers about it, so there might be something they can do. we will have to wait and see.

i suspect if they cant do it, then it will be because of tech limitations rather than someone making that choice.
I really hope there aren't any tech limitations, especially if we can do custom color schemes.
Rihannsu
# 19
04-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Quote:
But isn't messing with the files to make your own themes against the Terms of Service agreement? Are you saying that Cryptic would give permission to it's players to do this for UI editing?
You think that your beta test was bad?
Think about this:
American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
Captain
# 20
04-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdeath View Post
But isn't messing with the files to make your own themes against the Terms of Service agreement? Are you saying that Cryptic would give permission to it's players to do this for UI editing?
If they were to release a modable UI that would be awesome on many levels, obviously if they are going to make something that designed to be player customizable it would not be a violation of the TOS, remember we're only talking about Modding UI appearance, not changing game mechanics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicha0 View Post
Its not even finished and they are complaining its not finished? I don't get it
Now is the best time to provide input since this is what they are working on.