Lt. Commander
# 21
01-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowitup View Post
No no malicious software. Seriously the only thing I have installed on here is STO and have only gone to my college web site and this one.

I use my mac for everything else.

My best guess if you are not crashing is that it is the modem USB driver as it does not affect the wireless computers in the house.
it could be your windows version and or drivers for the video card also the game might take tomuch resoruces it might just be the client. i was running the game under windows 7 64bit and i was crashing in starbase 24 inside the base. when i switched to windows vista 32bit where i crashed each time before the game lagged a bit but no more crashes and the game runs smooth now. its still beta so most likely its the client but make sure your up on your drivers and whatever os your using.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruivo
Well, actually defragging isn't useless, it just isn't a common need as it was in the recent past. What happened is that in the past we needed a page file that acted as RAM on the hard-drive, and since it was large and had a lot of data I/O it was the major cause of HD fragmenting.

But now we have computers with over 4gb of ram, and that makes page file useless. So if you have 4gb of RAM, just disable your page file alltogether, and you will only have to do a defrag once a month, instead of once a week. (that is if you have a HD. As the guys pointed out before me, SSD's have no such need. But DON'T TOUCH SSD'S! Unless you want to risk losing your data without any sort of warning. HD's at least warn you that they are dying.

HD's: Working...working...working...error..working..work ing...error..error..working..error..error...error. .working...pzzt..error..working..POOF.

SSD's: working..working...working...working..POOF.)
Well, defragging an SSD can destroy it as I understand it, not just the data. That's about the only thing I know about them beside that they're stupid fast.

But I haven't had to defrag my drives since I stopped using XP and I'm still using a regular drive. I've loaded the defrager now and then thinking I might be due for one and I haven't needed to.
Lt. Commander
I believe one of the options somone should have before they enter a mission map is to know if its partally completed or not. I have entered a mission and found that all but the last object was to be completed, tried to hurry my ass up to the front lines only to have the mission completed. Now I love how the basic idea of the shared completion works... but this will leave grounds for abuse and what not. So could you look into some kind of options here?
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkCntry View Post
Well, taking fragmented files and defragmenting can actually cure a lot of ailments, starting from slowdowns on the system to actual memory faults.

Disk thrashing also decreases the life of the drive...
/facepalm
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-13-2010, 11:08 PM
You've been using pcs since 1989 ? Hail ye the fountain of all computer knowledge.

I've been walking around since 1973 but it doesn't me make me a doctor. I've been driving for over 15 years but it doesn't make me a mechanic. I've been building and fixing computers for longer than 15 years and Defragging a hard drive simply puts files back in some order and that allows faster access times, so I guess I'll have to agree with you on that one
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezWhitey View Post
Ok that was rhetorical

The reality is, defrag *never* has, and *never* will (in its current incarnation) *fix* anything.

It just doesn't work that way. Defrag MAY make your harddrive SEEM a little bit faster. Thats it. Kaput, the end.

It wont make viruses go away, it wont fix corrupted files or the cause of their corruption, it wont fix your registry, it wont make cookies either.

Its a file ordering tool at best. Nothing else. If you think defrag "fixes" anything, donate your computer to charity. Or take a computer basics class. But dont go tellin' ppl the virtues of how defrag will fix their problems. It wont fix anything.
Wow, I guess my 25 years dealing with this stuff is all wrong then...

No, it won't magically remove problems like viruses or malware, but it will make the drive more efficient and not shorten the lifespan of the drive...to which it answered the question you asked, which you then had to go that it was rhetorical after someone did answer you.

And as I said, there have been plenty of times to which fragmented file structures actually are the root cause to a failure...but again, I must've been wrong when I can to understand how that could be.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezWhitey View Post
Ok, I've been using PC's since 1989 (really), and I would like you to simply humor me and my old ways and tell me how Defrag "fixes" *anything*.

Go ahead. I'm all ears. err Eyes in this case.
using a pc since 1989 year doesn't mean you know anything about them just by your statement you have no clue. defrag your files will set them so windows can access them quicker. think of it like a library organizing how the books are on the walls to access and find things quicker easier and you don't loose anything. these days with windows xp or higher defrag is not needed because your windows system does it automatically now. so please don't act like you know something about computers when you clearly don't.
Lt. Commander
# 28 Crashes
01-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Hello... I dont know how to contact the developers but, I keep crashing. I cannot long in not.

First, I noted that the same stats Starbase 13 but, there is no starbase 13 that I could find.

Second, I am running the following:

Intel i7 Processor, 6GB Ram, 1 GB Dedicated Graphics and windows 7
64 bit, I bought this computer for this game. I just took it out of the box a few days ago and updated windows, and installed the anti virus etc. There is no adware, viruses etc. on this computer

I keep having to play the same system and dont get credit it check on my assignment list but, as soon as I leave the system the credit disapears.

???????????????
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Data is data, no matter where its stored. Its the same if its in 1 chunk, or spread across every platter on an RAID array. If there was a difference, it would be corrupted. But its not.

Defrag only makes accessing the file faster, since the read/write heads dont need to move as much. It MAY save you some wear and tear on a standard HDD (Dont do it on an SDD), but then again, constantly defragging your drive is also thrashing your read/write heads. 6 in one hand, half a dozen in another.

BTW, my first hard drive as an MFM that had several platters the size of your HEAD, and only 40MB total. Man that old IMB 8088 took forever to count that 640K RAM.....

Take it from an expert, defragging is a placebo effect.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbage View Post
Data is data, no matter where its stored. Its the same if its in 1 chunk, or spread across every platter on an RAID array. If there was a difference, it would be corrupted. But its not.

Defrag only makes accessing the file faster, since the read/write heads dont need to move as much. It MAY save you some wear and tear on a standard HDD (Dont do it on an SDD), but then again, constantly defragging your drive is also thrashing your read/write heads. 6 in one hand, half a dozen in another.

BTW, my first hard drive as an MFM that had several platters the size of your HEAD, and only 40MB total. Man that old IMB 8088 took forever to count that 640K RAM.....

Take it from an expert, defragging is a placebo effect.
You an expert right? How was that Holiday Inn stay?

As has been said, it's not a placebo effect and to think that it is only goes to show just what little knowledge you have. But I've said my peace...