Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 784
# 51
04-04-2013, 04:41 PM
I agreee with alot of what I am seeing here. The Academy needs to be better defined so that will be the FIRST place people go with silly entry level questions. And the Stickies need to be consolidated and cleaned up. Some of them are so outdated Cochrane might have penned them.

I would like to see a new system altogether for the fleet recruitment subforum. No one goes there. New Players don't know it exist. There is no way to filter through tom to find the fleet you want. The entire forum is just a bunch of fleet recruiters shouting over top of each other into an empty canyon. That and Players usually get recruited into either a friends fleet or the first fleet that tackles them on ESD. This runs into the same problem with having a Fleet Recruitment channel in game. No one will go there, and New players will not know it exist. While I would like to have some sort of off-game fleet registry, the current system is messy and flawed.

Not sure how to fix this, nor the technology limitations we have. But a system where you can submit an ad... and then have it broadcasted to the rest of the forums. Subtly and infrequently. Just enough so that new players that stumble around in the forums can see "OH, there is a fleet. it sounds fun. let me click for more information!"

Or something...
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,556
# 52
04-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Why do we have a Dev tracker? The only guy who posts there is named Archived post, and he is a mute.
That redshirt, Totally got vaped!!!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 993
# 53
04-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
I was also thinking this. Anyone opposed?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Sounds great.
Division Hispana
www.divisionhispana.com
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 811
# 54
04-04-2013, 05:40 PM
I have only two requests: First, a Suggestions forum, for people to post suggested additions (be they mini-games, new systems, changes/additions to CURRENT systems, items, powers, ships, anything).
Second, I would not at all mind being allowed to have polls in Feedback/Suggestions topics.
CHARACTER GRID (@Lord-Ice):
___ |___ _ Fed ____| ____ _KDF __ ____| Rom
Tac_|_Thomas Hale_| __ __Illusion _____| Silence (K)
Eng | ___Antilles _ _| _ Mirror Rygobeth__| N'Vek (F)
Sci _| __ Rygobeth _| _Lukor Son of Q'Tar | Devala (F)
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 406
# 55
04-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by icegavel View Post
~snip~
Second, I would not at all mind being allowed to have polls in Feedback/Suggestions topics.
No. No player polls. Please.
Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
The Armada
www.thebikinibottomarmada.com
Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,133
# 56
04-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Hi Captains,

With Legacy of Romulus due out next month, and the introduction of a third faction, the time has come to start thinking about a forum reorganization. As you are the community and utilize the forums, I'd love to get your input and suggestions. Ultimately, I'll also need to make sure that the organizations make sense for the Dev team as they are reading the forums for feedback constantly, but I'd really like to involve you all in the process.

So, let's get started! Feel free to make descriptive suggestions or post something like this:

STO Forums
.Information and Discussion
..Federation News Network
..Release Notes
..Dev Tracker

etc, etc, etc.

Feel free to use the index as your guide: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php

Here's a few questions we should also think about:

Should the shipyards sub-forum (builds, feedback, not art, etc.) still be separated by faction?
Are there any forums that you think should be combined?
Is STO discussion and General Community Feedback too similar or should we keep them separated?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions

Once we all come to, or at least try to, a consensus, the changes will be made. The goal for this is a week or two before the expansion launches. NOTE: These changes will not include the future update mentioned here, nor will anything else be changing at this time, other than what forums we have and the organization of them.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

New Forum should ditch fleetyards/gameplay format for each of the factions. It should just be New Romulus, Federation, and KDF sections with the ability to put a banner qualifier on the subject line identifying it as ship or gameplay related. Reman and Romulans should have default special avatars that differentiate them from other forum users, as well as default special insignia's differentiating fed Rom/Rems from kling Rom/Rems.

Rest of the forum seems meh and it needs some fine tuning. It would be nice if the different main sections-information and discussion, feedback, foundry, support, fleet admin, and text-could contain drop down menus that contained each of the subsections.

Along these lines and much like subscribing to a thread, it would be cool if I had a custom forum page that featured only the subsections I wanted to follow instead of having to parse through each of the sub sections to get to one I want to visit.

Edit: Another suggestion: Move our signature from the bottom of our message to below our user name, join date, and number of posts. That way, the forum should look much cleaner b/c half the page isn't taken up by .jpg signatures.
=^= Starfleet Code Red Message =^= Starfleet intelligence's central network was compromised by an insidious ARC virus. All captains are to avoid contact with the ARC until we can ascertain how dangerous it is. All ships remain on high alert!

Last edited by knuhteb5; 04-04-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Community Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,004
# 57
04-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuhteb5 View Post
New Forum should ditch fleetyards/gameplay format for each of the factions. It should just be New Romulus, Federation, and KDF sections with the ability to put a banner qualifier on the subject line identifying it as ship or gameplay related. Reman and Romulans should have default special avatars that differentiate them from other forum users, as well as default special insignia's differentiating fed Rom/Rems from kling Rom/Rems.

Rest of the forum seems meh and it needs some fine tuning. It would be nice if the different main sections-information and discussion, feedback, foundry, support, fleet admin, and text-could contain drop down menus that contained each of the subsections.

Along these lines and much like subscribing to a thread, it would be cool if I had a custom forum page that featured only the subsections I wanted to follow instead of having to parse through each of the sub sections to get to one I want to visit.

Edit: Another suggestion: Move our signature from the bottom of our message to below our user name, join date, and number of posts. That way, the forum should look much cleaner b/c half the page isn't taken up by .jpg signatures.

The actual forum software isn't going to change at this time, per BranFlakes. That means no new features (yet).

This thread is about simply reorganizing the existing sub-forums into relevant topic areas that give players the ability to voice their opinions and give Devs the ability to sift through feedback looking for ideas and desirable changes.

Giving each faction their own section with their own set of sub-forums might be good for the players, but could make it more difficult for the Devs to collect information.

As I understand it, the Devs are not broken down into teams based on faction. In other words, the Klingons don't have their own programmer, system designer, and artists. So it's not efficient to break down things like PvP Gameplay and Art per faction and expect the Devs to scan all three sections while weeding out the extra irrelevant or duplicative posts.

The Devs are one big happy team, so we're just going to have to be one big happy Community posting all together.

Since we do have factions and some issues might be specific to those, the separate Gameplay sub-forums do make a certain amount of sense.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 799
# 58
04-06-2013, 03:10 AM
The game also promotes playing more than one character, given the abundance of character slots. It makes more sense to not separate by Faction, but by Gameplay/Mechanics.
Former PWE Community Team Lead
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,046
# 59
04-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Hi Captains,

Thanks so much for the feedback in this thread. I've compiled it and have come up with the following organization based on it:
Information and Discussion

.<Something> News Network (still taking suggestions for a name)
.Release Notes
.Dev Tracker
.The Academy
.Star Trek Online General Discussion
.Ten Forward
..Role Play Central

Feedback

.Federation Gameplay
.Klingon Gameplay
.Romulan Gameplay
.Feature Episodes and Events (FEs, STFs, Fleet Actions, queued events, etc.)
.PvP Gameplay
..PvP Boot Camp
.The Shipyard
.Captains and Bridge Officers (classes, traits, powers, builds, etc.)
.Duty Officer System
.Fleet Holdings System
.Reputation System
.Controls and User Interface
.The Art of Star Trek Online
.C-Store and Promotions


The Foundry for Star Trek Online

.The Foundry For Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback
.The Foundry For Star Trek Online - Mission Database
.The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Bug Reports

Support

.Gameplay Bugs
.PC & Technical Issues
.Graphical Issues

Fleet Administrative Station

.Starbase One
.Qo'noS
.New Romulus

Test Servers

.Tribble - Announcements and Release Notes
.Tribble - Bug Reports
.Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
.Redshirt - Announcements and Release Notes
.Redshirt - Bug Reports
.Redshirt - General Discussion and Feedback
This is by no means final, so I'd like to continue discussing the above, as well as other ideas.

Also, I've reached out to the content devs, and while the majority in this thread wanted to see a merge for the FED and KDF gameplay forums, it's actually better for them if it stays separated.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 04-09-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 811
# 60
04-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Hi Captains,

Thanks so much for the feedback in this thread. I've compiled it and have come up with the following organization based on it:
Information and Discussion
  • .<Something> News Network (still taking suggestions for a name)
  • .Release Notes
  • .Dev Tracker
  • .The Academy
  • .Star Trek Online General Discussion
  • .Ten Forward
  • ..Role Play Central

Feedback
  • .Federation Gameplay
  • .Klingon Gameplay
  • .Romulan Gameplay
  • .Feature Episodes and Events (FEs, STFs, Fleet Actions, queued events, etc.)
  • .PvP Gameplay
  • ..PvP Boot Camp
  • .The Shipyard
  • .Captains and Bridge Officers (classes, traits, powers, builds, etc.)
  • .Duty Officer System
  • .Fleet Holdings System
  • .Reputation System
  • .Controls and User Interface
  • .The Art of Star Trek Online
  • .C-Store and Promotions


The Foundry for Star Trek Online
  • .The Foundry For Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback
  • .The Foundry For Star Trek Online - Mission Database
  • .The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Bug Reports

Support
  • .Gameplay Bugs
  • .PC & Technical Issues
  • .Graphical Issues

Fleet Administrative Station
  • .Starbase One
  • .Qo'noS
  • .New Romulus

Test Servers
  • .Tribble - Announcements and Release Notes
  • .Tribble - Bug Reports
  • .Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
  • .Redshirt - Announcements and Release Notes
  • .Redshirt - Bug Reports
  • .Redshirt - General Discussion and Feedback
This is by no means final, so I'd like to continue discussing the above, as well as other ideas.

Also, I've reached out to the conent devs, and while the majority in this thread wanted to see a merge for the FED and KDF gameplay forums, it's actually better for them if it stays separated.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
How about Alpha Quadrant News Network?

Also, Suggestions sub-forum under Feedback, please?
CHARACTER GRID (@Lord-Ice):
___ |___ _ Fed ____| ____ _KDF __ ____| Rom
Tac_|_Thomas Hale_| __ __Illusion _____| Silence (K)
Eng | ___Antilles _ _| _ Mirror Rygobeth__| N'Vek (F)
Sci _| __ Rygobeth _| _Lukor Son of Q'Tar | Devala (F)

Last edited by icegavel; 04-09-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:58 AM.