Captain
# 71
04-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
I'd like to try and cover mechanics in the same forum as powers, skills and traits because they can be related and the same Devs that work on "mechanics" work on those. I'm open to other names for this subforum so it's more clear that mechanics should be discussed there. We'll try and keep mechanics discussions out of the PvP subforum if they are more general and don't only relate to PvP.
If I were visiting the forums for the first time, I would not think that "Captains and Bridge Officers" would be the subforum to discuss game mechanics. Many mechanics questions seem to belong under multiple categories. Some examples:

1. How do shield resistances work? (The Shipyard, PvP Gameplay, PvE Gameplay)

2. How does flanking work? (PvP Gameplay, PvE Gameplay)

4. How does the leadership trait work? (Captains and Bridge Officers, The Shipyard, PvP Gameplay, PvE Gameplay)

3. How do technician duty officers work? (Duty Officer System, The Shipyard, PvP Gameplay, PvE Gameplay)

It is not clear where one should post to get one's question answered. Below I have linked three recent mechanics threads that I am aware of. Notice how they appear under three different subforums.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?p=8340431
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=594311
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=580541

Last edited by frtoaster; 04-09-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Captain
# 72
04-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Quote:
<Something> News Network (still taking suggestions for a name)
How about "Current Events?"

Quote:
I think I'll update "Starbase One" to "Earth Spacedock". Anyone have any objections?
I like "Starbase One", personally. But I'm good with either.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Career Officer
# 73
04-09-2013, 08:14 PM
As for <X> News Network, how about "Orion-Cygnus Arm News Network".

Most of the KDF and RSE are in the Beta Quadrant and Earth sits right at the Border of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. This would suggest a good deal of the KDF and RSE are in the Orion-Cygnus Arm as well as our Solar System.
Captain
# 74
04-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
I'd be inclined to call it "Nuts and Bolts" but that doesn't seem very Star Trek (and may not be immediately obvious)....

Oh, how about "Main Engineering (Classes, Powers, Traits, Mechanics, etc)"?
I agree that "Main Engineering" sounds like a good title, though it may be a little unclear to people that discussions of ground mechanics go there.
Career Officer
# 75
04-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frtoaster View Post
I agree that "Main Engineering" sounds like a good title, though it may be a little unclear to people that discussions of ground mechanics go there.
The stuff I put in parenthesis would be part of the title as well.
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 76
04-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frtoaster View Post
If I were visiting the forums for the first time, I would not think that "Captains and Bridge Officers" would be the subforum to discuss game mechanics. Many mechanics questions seem to belong under multiple categories. Some examples:

1. How do shield resistances work? (The Shipyard, PvP Gameplay, PvE Gameplay)

2. How does flanking work? (PvP Gameplay, PvE Gameplay)

3. How does the leadership trait work? (Captains and Bridge Officers, The Shipyard, PvP Gameplay, PvE Gameplay)

4. How do technician duty officers work? (Duty Officer System, The Shipyard, PvP Gameplay, PvE Gameplay)

It is not clear where one should post to get one's question answered. Below I have linked three recent mechanics threads that I am aware of. Notice how they appear under three different subforums.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?p=8340431
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=594311
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=580541
Neither does Ten Forward but that's where the descriptions come in.

For your examples above, I see the following:

1) - 3) would go under the subforum in discussion, so it's clear we need a better name.

4) would be the DOFF subforum

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Empire Veteran
# 77
04-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Quote:
.Federation Gameplay
.Klingon Gameplay
.Romulan Gameplay
.Feature Episodes and Events (FEs, STFs, Fleet Actions, queued events, etc.)
why arent these 1 thing? especially when so many missions are cross faction already, and more will be (not)season 8?
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
# 78
04-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Maybe "Captains and Bridge Officers" should be " Captains, Bridge Officers and Mechanics"?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
# 79
04-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
why arent these 1 thing? especially when so many missions are cross faction already, and more will be (not)season 8?
I asked the content team and it's easier for them to find and act on feedback when it's separated as there are many aspects of gameplay that is unique by faction.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Career Officer
# 80
04-09-2013, 11:07 PM
For the news section it really does need to present neutrally. I suggest:

Q Continuum Illustrated
This section is for the discussion of announcements,
news and event blogs related to Star Trek Online.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Admiral Quinn was never over ALL of Starfleet << Link
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Closed Thread