Lt. Commander
# 1 Steam install...?
04-04-2013, 11:57 AM
This is probably the dumbest question you'll ever read here but...

I signed up for and installed Steam and it downloaded STO but I already had it on my computer. Is it safe to remove the version I already had in favor of Steam?
Career Officer
# 2
04-04-2013, 11:59 AM
If the version on your computer is up to date, I would recommend copying that installation over Steam's. Otherwise you'll get the base Steam installation and the client will update when you run it.

There's no real difference between the clients other than install location.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Career Officer
# 3
04-04-2013, 12:12 PM
make sure you can login on the steam version first and that they aren't installed in the same folder.

My husband had serious issues with it allowing him to login on the steam version kept telling him his ID wasn't a PWE account when it was.
Is hoping that Isis is an adequate replacement for the Sensor Targetting Assault loss we'll experience in Season 9.
Career Officer
# 4
04-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Short answer: Yes... it's safe to remove your original install.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports