Lieutenant
I've been trying to figure out which abilities to assign my sci BOFFs for STFs. I've read that viral matrix and tachyon beam don't do much against the Borg though. What ones have you all noticed do or don't work well for Borg? I currently use GWIII with good success.

Here's a link to my current build if you're curious - http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...endar1138_3026

Join the Vulcan Kolinahr Fleet
http://www.vulcankolinahrfleet.com/
Captain
# 2
04-10-2013, 06:49 PM
GW and TBR are the main ones that work well, and I'm told Energy Siphon can work on some enemies, but others will shrug it off. That's pretty much all the ones that work well. VM just isn't reliable or long lasting enough, the shield drains are insignificant, FBP is questionable since it only does anything when you have agro (and no one can survive agro for very long with the one shot torps), TR suffers the same issues as ES but starts out weaker (although it can lock down heavy plasmas), Tractor Beam isn't worthwhile since they either barely move or come in groups, and PSW is horribly bugged so it's useless.

And 2 notes on your build, you probably want to drop the ET2 for A2SIF1, with the high Aux of a sci ship A2SIF will be healing more over time, plus providing a resistance buff and not conflicting with any of your other abilities, and you want to get a Resilient shield for the reduced bleedthrough which is very important for sci ships.
Lieutenant
# 3
04-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensecura View Post
And 2 notes on your build, you probably want to drop the ET2 for A2SIF1, with the high Aux of a sci ship A2SIF will be healing more over time, plus providing a resistance buff and not conflicting with any of your other abilities, and you want to get a Resilient shield for the reduced bleedthrough which is very important for sci ships.
Actually, I've already swapped out ET2, just forgot to update the build. I'll look into the shield.

Thanks

Join the Vulcan Kolinahr Fleet
http://www.vulcankolinahrfleet.com/
Captain
# 4
04-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Tractor Beam as well, particularly in Cure where the waves fly in close formation and you can kill one ship then park another next to the explosion.
Commander
# 5
04-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensecura View Post
GW and TBR are the main ones that work well, and I'm told Energy Siphon can work on some enemies, but others will shrug it off. That's pretty much all the ones that work well. VM just isn't reliable or long lasting enough, the shield drains are insignificant, FBP is questionable since it only does anything when you have agro (and no one can survive agro for very long with the one shot torps), TR suffers the same issues as ES but starts out weaker (although it can lock down heavy plasmas), Tractor Beam isn't worthwhile since they either barely move or come in groups, and PSW is horribly bugged so it's useless.
Pretty much this. Most non-healing Sci powers aren't good in STFs. Not covered in that post: Scramle Sensors is also garbage because the Borg do sod all damage relative to their HP so won't actually hurt each other in a way worth talking about. Jam Sensors is of limited (basically they stop attacking YOU for a few seconds, but not anyone else) use, so a heal or a Grav Well is better. And Photonic Officer is a complete waste of a power. I think that's the lot.

As an aside, I thought PSW3 was bugged by getting way too much of a damage bonus, enough to make it useable. And when they fixed it, it just showed up how useless the ability as designed actually is.

And I'm personally not a big fan of TBR in STFs because if you use it with ordinary mobs around, you'll actually just slow the run down by pushing them away from the team, potentially out of your team-mates firing arcs, and spreading them out. It's really only useful for damaging stationary targets.

Honestly, with your build, I'd run two Grav Wells instead of a Grav Well and a TBR. Even if you do Probe / Kang duty a lot (seeing as you're in a Vesta and have the firepower for that) where you might use TBR on moveable enemies without slowing the run, I still would expect a Grav Well to get more use.