Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Ensign
Since the last patch, the Experimental Romulan beam array that we can get after hitting tier 5 romulan reputation has it`s power drain behaviour bugged - it`s supposed to be a "free" weapon with 0 power drain when firing with other weapons, but it just drains power like a standard beam array instead.

Tested with several different configurations (7 beams, 2 beams, placing the beam array as the first weapon, middle or last) - every test concluded that it drains power like a normal beam array.

Haven`t tested the power drain of the Beam overload boff skill - the tooltip states that it should drain less than a normal beam array, so if anyone has some info about it, post it in here.

The bug unfortunately makes the weapon pretty much useless atm - compared to normal beam arrays it falls far behind with just weak +crith tags.
Captain
This post was incorrectly merged, and is not relevant to this thread.

Last edited by momaw; 04-11-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 73
04-11-2013, 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by obitussss View Post
Since the last patch, the Experimental Romulan beam array that we can get after hitting tier 5 romulan reputation has it`s power drain behaviour bugged - it`s supposed to be a "free" weapon with 0 power drain when firing with other weapons, but it just drains power like a standard beam array instead.

Tested with several different configurations (7 beams, 2 beams, placing the beam array as the first weapon, middle or last) - every test concluded that it drains power like a normal beam array.

Haven`t tested the power drain of the Beam overload boff skill - the tooltip states that it should drain less than a normal beam array, so if anyone has some info about it, post it in here.

The bug unfortunately makes the weapon pretty much useless atm - compared to normal beam arrays it falls far behind with just weak +crith tags.

Just tested and it doesn't drain any energy. Equip just experimental beam and try.
Career Officer
# 74
04-11-2013, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesolc View Post
Just tested and it doesn't drain any energy. Equip just experimental beam and try.
Ya... thats not a valid test at all. Try again
Delirium Tremens
Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
Nothing to do anymore.
http://dtfleet.com/
Visit our Youtube channel
Ensign
# 75
04-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Quote:
completely agree with you, I`m surprised that one of the mods suddenly decided that just because i used the term 'power drain' it has something to do with fire at will

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicha0 View Post
Ya... thats not a valid test at all. Try again
agreed again, Vesolc try doing some research before posting incorrect information, NONE of the weapons drains power when it`s the only one equipped, the power drain happens as soon as you equip more than one weapon at the same time (power drain itself depends on the kind of weapons equipped, e.g. cannons, beams etc.)

I hope that one of the mods will do me the courtesy of undoing the thread merging since my post is about a COMPLETELY different thing unrelated to the reported fire at will bug
Lt. Commander
# 76
04-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Well with the new patch it should be "fixed" cos I don't see any extra drain from EB(2,3,4,5 or 7 beams).
Ensign
# 77
04-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Well with the new patch it should be "fixed" cos I don't see any extra drain from EB(2,3,4,5 or 7 beams).

no it still HASN`T been fixed - confirmed with testing again with different number and configuration of beams

as soon as I started the tests, the experimental beam array again proved to fail each one of them

easiest way to confirm it`s bugged is to simply test it with 1 more weapon of any kind - according to how it`s supposed to work, there should be 0 weapon energy drain while using any combination of 2 weapons that includes the experimental array, because it`s supposed to not be included in the weapon energy drain mechanics

it started working incorrectly ever since the previous patch went live and still remains a poor choice of a weapon due to behaving like a normal beam array and having rather bad bonuses

not to mention my posts still haven`t been moved out of this thread which is totally unrelated to the bug I`m currently reporting - which in turn tells me that there won`t be a fix coming anytime soon
Ensign
# 78
04-12-2013, 06:40 AM
Heh, just when I got access to mk xii rommie beams and was about to buy them I thought: hmm, let's check the forums first.

**** like this is why I stop playing STO for months at a time. This, and the atrocious state of science abilities.
Commander
# 79
04-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by obitussss View Post

If you hit P and look at beam array you will see it says -10 weapon power when firing other weapons under FAW. For Beam Overload it says -35 weapon power.

For all other beams it says -10 and -50.

Oddly it gives no damage figures for the Experimental Romulan beam array under FAWI, II and III. Any other beams will show a damage amount.

So my conclusion is yes it's using weapon power while using FAW and also BO, but at a slightly lower value for BO then norm for the latter. I'm just not sure if it was like this in the past or not. I would have assumed based on the description of the weapon that it would not use weapon power while using FAW as the weapon tooltip says. "This weapon does not drain weapon power when firing with other weapons".

FAW and BO should both be free of weapon power use. If not that then at least 1/2 the amount when using FAW and BO. I'd rather it was free for FAW. I can accept the -35 weapon power for BO.

I don't know about you guys but I seem to be hitting for way less now. I don't know if it's because of weapon power drain or was it the change to EP2Weapons. I did not save any old logs sadly. So I can't compare.

If the behavior stays the way it is there is absolutely no reason to use this weapon. We use it because we believed it didn't use power while using Fire at Will. We'd be better off going all Disruptors or Antiproton beams if it stays as is currently.

Last edited by dragonsbite; 04-12-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Ensign
# 80
04-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsbite View Post
If you hit P and look at beam array you will see it says -10 weapon power when firing other weapons under FAW. For Beam Overload it says -35 weapon power.

For all other beams it says -10 and -50.

Oddly it gives no damage figures for the Experimental Romulan beam array under FAWI, II and III. Any other beams will show a damage amount.

So my conclusion is yes it's using weapon power while using FAW and also BO, but at a slightly lower value for BO then norm for the latter. I'm just not sure if it was like this in the past or not. I would have assumed based on the description of the weapon that it would not use weapon power while using FAW as the weapon tooltip says. "This weapon does not drain weapon power when firing with other weapons".

FAW and BO should both be free of weapon power use. If not that then at least 1/2 the amount when using FAW and BO. I'd rather it was free for FAW. I can accept the -35 weapon power for BO.

I don't know about you guys but I seem to be hitting for way less now. I don't know if it's because of weapon power drain or was it the change to EP2Weapons. I did not save any old logs sadly. So I can't compare.

If the behavior stays the way it is there is absolutely no reason to use this weapon. We use it because we believed it didn't use power while using Fire at Will. We'd be better off going all Disruptors or Antiproton beams if it stays as is currently.
the most important thing about my bug report though is that it actually drains power and behaves like a normal beam array instead of acting as if it didn`t drain any power (I personally made the bug report about the beam itself, completely unrelated to boff skills, my thread was just VERY badly merged with this one by one of the mods for some reason)