Republic Veteran
# 1 Fleet Protections
04-04-2013, 07:05 PM
If it takes five people to create a fleet, why does it only take one person to destroy it?

My recommendations:
  • Top-ranked fleet members cannot demote other top-ranked fleet members without the permission of at least thee other top-ranked members concurrently.
  • Top-ranked fleet member cannot be kicked from the fleet without the permission of at least three other top-ranked members concurrently.
  • Make fleets indestructable. Fleets that have lost all members will be "free to claim" for 30 days (claiming would require five team members as is required to create a fleet). After 30 days, the fleet will be deleted from the server.
  • Make all fleet members non-bootable from the fleet after 90 days unless three top-ranked members approve the boot concurrently. (They will remain demotable and fleets can designate a "make them want to quit" rank.)
  • Fleet members cannot be promoted to top-rank without the approval of at least three top-ranked members.
  • Fleet members cannot be promoted to top-ranked within 30 days of joining the fleet. (This rule will be lifted for 48 hours following the creation of a fleet to allow the fleet to establish its desired hierarchy)
  • Any top-ranked member who is inactive for more than 90 days will be automatically demoted one rank, preventing them from doing damage to the fleet. In the event this leaves no top-ranked members, the five longest serving members will be automatically up-ranked.
  • All fleets are "saved" to the server on a weekly basis. GMs have the ability to flash a fleet back to these save states when certain conditions arise. (Losing a few days' work is better than the entire fleet)
  • Require a password for the fleet admin panel. This password will be created when the fleet is formed and GM will have the ability to reset it when the need arises. Have the password automatically expire after 180 days. (Obviously, fleets would need to be sure who owns this password but it would help prevent the odd old account from being used against the fleet).
  • In the event the number of total top-ranked members drops below three, the longest serving active non-top-ranked member is automatically promoted to the top rank.
  • All non-founders being promoted to the top rank will have to serve a 30-day probationary period before major fleet details can be changed. (This rule would be void for those promoted automatically due to a shortage of top-ranked members.)

All actions requiring three top-ranked fleet members would follow the same rules as forming a fleet. All three would have to be online at the time of the action.

Feel free to adopt any or all of these suggestions. Obviously, some would render others moot. But at least start here.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.

Last edited by commadorebob; 04-04-2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: added a few more ideas and changed a few details
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
04-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post
If it takes five people to create a fleet, why does it only take one person to destroy it?

My recommendations:
  • Top-ranked fleet members cannot demote other top-ranked fleet members without the permission of at least thee other top-ranked members concurrently.
  • Top-ranked fleet member cannot be kicked from the fleet without the permission of at least three other top-ranked members concurrently.
  • Make fleets indestructable. Fleets that have lost all members will be "free to claim" for 30 days (claiming would require five team members as is required to create a fleet). After 30 days, the fleet will be deleted from the server.
  • Make all fleet members non-bootable from the fleet after 90 days unless three top-ranked members approve the boot concurrently. (They will remain demotable and fleets can designate a "make them want to quit" rank.)
  • Fleet members cannot be promoted to top-rank without the approval of at least three top-ranked members.
  • Fleet members cannot be promoted to top-ranked within 30 days of joining the fleet. (This rule will be lifted for 48 hours following the creation of a fleet to allow the fleet to establish its desired hierarchy)
  • Any top-ranked member who is inactive for more than 90 days will be automatically demoted one rank, preventing them from doing damage to the fleet. In the event this leaves no top-ranked members, the five longest serving members will be automatically up-ranked.
  • All fleets are "saved" to the server on a weekly basis. GMs have the ability to flash a fleet back to these save states when certain conditions arise. (Losing a few days' work is better than the entire fleet)
  • Require a password for the fleet admin panel. This password will be created when the fleet is formed and GM will have the ability to reset it when the need arises. Have the password automatically expire after 180 days. (Obviously, fleets would need to be sure who owns this password but it would help prevent the odd old account from being used against the fleet).
  • In the event the number of total top-ranked members drops below three, the longest serving active non-top-ranked member is automatically promoted to the top rank.
  • All non-founders being promoted to the top rank will have to serve a 30-day probationary period before major fleet details can be changed. (This rule would be void for those promoted automatically due to a shortage of top-ranked members.)

All actions requiring three top-ranked fleet members would follow the same rules as forming a fleet. All three would have to be online at the time of the action.

Feel free to adopt any or all of these suggestions. Obviously, some would render others moot. But at least start here.
All of these are great ideas and we've talked about many of them tonight in fleet.

Last edited by wilv; 04-04-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Career Officer
# 3
04-04-2013, 08:24 PM
I'd say make it so that :

A. @ handles can be sorted AND a person can have all characters with the same @ handle kicked in one move...this only works if...

B. No person can kick more than 5 different individual @ handles in 12 hours.
Rihannsu
# 4
04-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Yeah I really do think that there need to be more protections for fleets.

You can have a super malicious person that could ruin all of the hard work and even possibly real money that could be put into these fleet systems with very little protection.
Republic Veteran
# 5
04-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Of course, an obvious one is if a person hijacks a fleet and is publicly flaunting it, they are banned and the fleet restored to the most recent saved state!
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Republic Veteran
# 6
04-04-2013, 11:20 PM
Have a special Founder Slot, where the player in it cannot be removed by any means other then a deactivation of the account/time limit of inactivity/Fleet Founder leaving the Fleet. So that way no other Fleet member can remove him/her from the fleet.

[6/24 23:12] [Combat (Self)] Your Thalaron Pulse deals 126254 (48978) Radiation Damage to Tactical Cube. Hehe. Suck it Borg!
[10/8 15:47] [Combat (Self)] Crystalline Entity deals 98082 (147136) Kinetic Damage to you with Warp Core Breach. WUT? I blame Kurland for this and all other problems in STO.
Empire Veteran
# 7
04-05-2013, 08:47 AM
While I don't have anything to add I am certainly in support of this, they need to implement at least a few of these features to keep fleets safer.
# 8
04-05-2013, 12:30 PM
How about they just require that a fleet must have at all times a minimum of five members. This would keep hackers from getting in without a group of people to take it over. It wouldn't seem too difficult to make a minimum fleet size requirement.

I still think there has to be some type of tracking that the GMs or programmers have that would show name changes etc for them to correct this. Nothing that's done electronically is anonymous. This doesn't seem to happen that often that it would be over burdensome for Cryptic to look into when it happens.
Empire Veteran
# 9
04-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Most of these suggestions are way over the top and I see many potentials for whole new abuses that are worse than the current ones. I agree there needs to be more protection for fleet members, especially at the lower ranks, but all this is way too much.

Personally I'd like to see the number of ranks at least doubled, same with bank slots (we have 2 factions in one fleet coming up!), provision permissions more detailed (can only queue certain SB project slots, limited number of provisions per-day-per-type, limited number of people you can kick/invite from/to the fleet, etc), preventing people from joining and dropping fleets multiple times per day, cancelling fleet projects (needs to be very strict controls) .

by the way currently if all the level 7 fleet leaders are inactive for 30 days, any rank 6 can claim rank 7
Empire Veteran
# 10
04-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Ok ... a problem we have which leads to this is that they don't want to step on the fact that some fleets are private fleets with one person in the top slot.

What I recommend is putting a switch inside the fleet admin module that allows a fleet to start as private but gives the ability to switch it to a "community" fleet.

What this would mean is that once the switch is hit ... there is no going back.

You would have to have a minimum number of fleet admin (say three) with at least two needed to demote or remove another from the fleet leader slots.

This way you have an added level of protection without disturbing the private fleets.

A HUGE thank you to Cryptic for the Mogh-class battle cruiser!