Starfleet Veteran
# 1 Bringing back the old STF's
04-05-2013, 12:36 AM
This is something that some of us in the community have said once before but not very often, how ever this is something that I think should be brought up.

Now I don't mind the current STF style that's going on, some times we get good pick up groups some times we don't, the STF's are not bad, how ever, the old STF's I miss.

For those that are Free to Play players, or those that haven't been around Star Trek Online to know what i'm talking about, before they mad the STF queue's the current STF's that we have now were actual missions. They had full on story plot where you started into system, and worked your way through the stf going from space and into the ground instance.

For example, the Cure: You started out in space and had to clear the system of the borg ships before beaming down to the planet. Once on the planet you had to fight your way to Jarod and kill Armek of Borg (just like the current mission.) how ever unlike the current version where you had to get inside the shield area the shield wasn't there, and he had drones around him. Once he was dead, you'd beam back to your ships with Jarod. Once back in space you had to save the birds of prey, raptors, and neg'vars in the shipyards before the Borg could assimilate them. Afterwards you had to destroy the final space boss, AKA the assimilated Carrier.

There was a whole story behind the Cure STF during this time, it felt like an actual mission unlike the small queue like event that we have now.

Infected and Khitamor Accord is the same way, they were 5 man STF missions that were quite longer then they are now and where you had more then just the simple things you had to do now.

I kinda imagined The Hive to be somewhat the same as the STF's were before, but considering how the STF's has been changed so much I can't really say I did or didn't expected it.

I like the current STF's sure, but I loved the old STF's where they were missions, sure they were about 2 hours long each mission, but they were challenging, they had story in it where it felt like you were doing a cooperative mission like many starfleet officers and klingon warriors had to do.

I know that Cryptic's going to be doing the cross-faction team-up when the Legacy of Romulus expansion comes out with romulans cross-faction teaming with either Starfleet or the KDF, but considering that the STF's were in the Gamma Orionis, perhaps it be possible (at least for now till later decided) for KDF and Fed players to team up with-in the sector block so that they can do these missions together as an omega force team, and play through the missions as they were before, while also having the choice of playing through the new style of stf's.

Basically to make things simple, I think we need to have the old style STF's along side the new style STF's, the old style STF's were just as fun, if not more, as the new style STF's, and should return.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
04-05-2013, 01:17 AM
I too miss the old STF's. Yes they were long, yes they were sometimes grueling but at the end you had a real sense of accomplishment. Those were REAL end game missions...

***Disenchanted***
Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
Captain
# 3
04-05-2013, 01:29 AM
This is a bad idea, because a lot of players don't have the stamina or the time for a 3 hour long mission.

I did them once, and then thought:

-Too long.
-Bad rewards.

I would stop doing them if they were changed back.

I think OP should pay everybody here salary that they can quit their jobs so that they got time for these 2 hour long grindfests.
Ensign
# 4
04-05-2013, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalelena View Post
This is a bad idea, because a lot of players don't have the stamina or the time for a 3 hour long mission.

-Too long.
-Bad rewards.

I think OP should pay everybody here salary that they can quit their jobs so that they got time for these 2 hour long grindfests.
see, this is just a perception issue.
because the missions are already seperated into tiny bits. the bits combined could easily take an hour too to complete with a bad team. but you can do it in smaller portions. which, btw you could before too, just had to fidn a team on the same stage of the mission as yourself.

i never quit my job, yet i enjoyed the old stfs immensly and i played them all a couple of times a week with fixed teams. 2 hours is about what i needed for all 3 stfs back to back with breaks in between.

long story short, i'd love to have an option for team-endgame missions back like the old stfs were. just not the old stfs ... since they are old
Captain
# 5
04-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalelena View Post

-Too long.
-Bad rewards.

3 hours ?
What mission was that ?

I can't say I remember any STF lasting that long but I've only been playing a year and have played hundreds under the old reward system.

THATS what I truly miss, the randomness of the mission rewards. The one chance in a dozen to come away from a mission with an epic reward instead of the guarantee of a standardized (and mediocre) reward found in the current system.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Contact support @ https://support.perfectworld.com/app/ask
to show your displeasure over the stealth mail attachment nerf
Career Officer
# 6
04-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
3 hours ?
What mission was that ?

I can't say I remember any STF lasting that long but I've only been playing a year and have played hundreds under the old reward system.

THATS what I truly miss, the randomness of the mission rewards. The one chance in a dozen to come away from a mission with an epic reward instead of the guarantee of a standardized (and mediocre) reward found in the current system.
The first incarnation of STFs were 3 hours long or more. At that time they weren't in the queue system. You had to manually form up a party and travel to the planet in Gamma Orionis in order to start the STF. There were only 3 STFs at that time. Infected, Cure, and Khitomer Accord. The STFs you see now are actually the original ones broken up into individual pieces. Before you had to run Infected space and then infected ground in order to win. You also had to clear them in order. So you couldn't run Cure without completely beating Infected first. They were also much, much, much harder than they are now. I once had a 5 hour run and couldn't beat it with the group I had back then. We gave up and left.

So no, I don't ever want to see those come back. Leave them as they are now.

Edit: I should also add that back then there were no Maco or Omega sets. The big reward was the Assimilated set. Also the max level was RA 45. We didn't have any rep passives or powerful C-Store ships. The "endgame" ships were the level RA 40 ships. So it was hard.
-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009

Last edited by lan451; 04-05-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Captain
# 7
04-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Heh, that does sound kinda cool in a way but I'd guess a bad idea with some players short attention span, and definitely not puggable.

It would make for a rather interesting fleet event if the rewards were better.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Contact support @ https://support.perfectworld.com/app/ask
to show your displeasure over the stealth mail attachment nerf
Career Officer
# 8
04-05-2013, 08:12 AM
Aye, getting into pugs was near impossible too. I remember back then sitting in Gamma Orionis and seeing messages across zone chat such as, "LFM Infected. MUST have experience or you will be rejected. PST." If you were a newbie to the STFs back then, might as well give up since no one wanted to take you and teach you for the next 3-5 hours.

If they were to put them back in as an option or something I wouldn't be against it. But they better leave the current STFs alone. That's one issue I'll get very loud and vocal about heh.
-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009
Captain
# 9
04-05-2013, 08:49 AM
I want them back, yes...but not 100% as they were.

Cure ground for instance is perfect as it is now...the old was simply too long and repetitive.

I want them back not to replace current stfs, just as an alternative to play once or twice a week...maybe as a weekly mission that rewards around 500 omega marks and 2k dilithium.

No public queue, only private (premade)

Mob level 52 and the ground and space parts should be reunited.
Go pro or go home
Empire Veteran
# 10
04-05-2013, 09:47 AM
agreed want the option for the old style stfs back maybe with increased rewards?