Captain
# 21
04-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajddominion View Post
I have heard how there was a story to the old stfs. I would very much like to play through the story the old ones provided, since I did not get a chance to play them back in my original 65 days at launch. The new ones should stay, since most players can go through these without rage-quitting the game because they did not bring the right skill for one of the encounters.

There are several possibilities if you still want to re-introduce but allow all players a good chance to complete:

1. Turn this into a story mission set:

This way the story is preserved, but the difficulty factor is relatively low, allowing for this chapter of the story to be told. It would be easy to place them to, since the Borg missions already have a section of their own.

2. Create three different difficulty tiers:

The tiers I would think are today's Normal and Elite difficulties, just the length would be longer and akin to Hive Onslaught sort of. Then we have the Classic difficulty, for those wanting the same experience as before. This way those new to STO can experience the story and still have a challenge, without beating their heads against a "you need to do this in a specific way" type of stf. And those who really loved the old way, or want to experience a hardcore challenge, the classic would be waiting for them.

So they might display (going to use Cure as an example) as "Traditional Cure - Normal | Traditional Cure - Elite | Traditional Cure - Classic" in the PvE events listing.

--------------------------
I like idea 1. Make them into the last of the borg episodes, and give NPCs that give you tooltips how to do it, so that beginning players can run them with away teams and come to the proper STFs knowing at least something about the mission.
Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
Career Officer
# 22
04-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalelena View Post
But I do recall that the game did not ... how you put it... flourish back then as much as it does today.
If it did, then Atari would not have sold it.
Exactly. The game never "flourished" back then, I have no idea what that poster is talking about. It was a mess. STO is in much better shape now than it was back then. If I remember, Dan said it was because Atari didn't understand online gaming and why they needed to keep investing funds into a game that was already released. That lead to the game not getting any decent content for quite some time, AKA "The Year of Fail" as it was dubbed. Or the "No cups in the kitchen" era if you prefer.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009

It's time for STO to get a complete UI overhaul.
Starfleet Veteran
# 23
04-05-2013, 07:58 PM
In anycase as mentioned above of bringing in the old STF's and keeping the new. I like this post to try and move down the path of discussion and ideas of like what should be done if we can get the old STF's back along side the new style STF's.

I think how the idea was presented earlier with turning them into story missions is a great idea, sure they were hard but they had story behind them, now-in-day's not many people knows all the full story behind the STF's, KA for example played a major part since it tied the tutorial mission when you first start in STO along with the mission from the time traveling, now-in-day's how ever most people don't know that because it is all separated into small pieces and the queues.

Plus, how would people feel if there was a Hive mission along side the others, as fun as Hive is, it would be nice if there was a story behind it.
Career Officer
# 24 rude people
04-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalelena View Post
I am sorry for my mistake.

I am also really sorry I am not as hardcore as you are.

But I do recall that the game did not ... how you put it... flourish back then as much as it does today.
If it did, then Atari would not have sold it.

I find it so uncomfortable when people are rude to posters like yourself, it greatly detracts from the usefulness of the forums.

I do wish they would give the option to have both the old and new style of STF, but i GREATLY prefer the system now. I recall the pain in the rear running the old one, the bugs that showed up at the end of infected or dome ruining hours game play. Running the STF was one thing, but there was a performance getting the team together, flying to the system, making sure everyone was properly equipped, etc... Not Fun... and yet i do sometimes look back fondly.
Starfleet Veteran
# 25
04-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Bringing back the old STFs as story missions would be appropriate.

Its a simple case bringing back the Rear Admiral versions and toning them down so they can be played solo with bridge officers. This would allow people to actually get the story behind the missions and practice some of the mechanics before going into the Elite versions.

This would also allow Terradome to be re-added to the mix since it is woefully missed. It is beyond sad to listen to players that dont even know Terradome exists or what the STFs are trying to accomplish.

The major fact was that STFs were originally designed to be feature length episodes like Best of Both Worlds with a very intense story going from beginning to end.
The current versions are glorified fleet actions, shreding the connecting elements to the point its just a generic killing of Borg with a few gimick game mechanics.

If your going to bring back the old STFs, some of the older mechanics would have to be re-attached for it to remain consistant.
Case in point: You dont save the Kang until AFTER you have done the ground potion of Cure or intermissions between Khitomer Present and Khitomer Past.
Commander
# 26
04-06-2013, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by causalityeffect View Post
Bringing back the old STFs as story missions would be appropriate.

Its a simple case bringing back the Rear Admiral versions and toning them down so they can be played solo with bridge officers. This would allow people to actually get the story behind the missions and practice some of the mechanics before going into the Elite versions.
Some of the co-operative elements are well beyond BOffs. The three console inputs in Infected Ground for example. The shield generators in Khitomer Accord ground too, how would you be able to direct a BOff to disable the shields around generator? Or direct them to attack a generator that you've disabled when you're in another room and can't see the target to assign it to them? I wouldn't even trust them to defend generators in the Cure, even with waypoints.

They'd have to be made so easy or changed so much to account for this that they'd be useless as training tools, imo. So you'd really only have them for the story element.
Career Officer
# 27
04-06-2013, 06:18 AM
I think there are a few good alternatives.

MUST is keeping the newer short mini-missions. a) A lot of work went in to revamping them; b) they're crucial to the omega rep

But aside from that it seems a shame to miss out on the story in which case, bring back maybe a toned down version of the classic ones, or, completely streamlined ones which are soloable, purely for the mission journal. Personally, toned down group ones which were the full mission would be the best way for story, and would require less work I imagine than completely changing them to a solo version.

(Also, bring back DS9 fleet event)
Career Officer
# 28
04-06-2013, 06:41 AM
I agree as well. Despite the time commitment and the whole RNG aspect of it I was rather fond of the original STFs and people had to really work at them to be successful. Now the STFs are glorified encounters aimed at the casual and ultra casual F2P player. Sad really.....

Former member of the Cryptic Friends & Family testing team. Sadly it simply vanished one day.
Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan
(member #124)
Survivor of Romulus
# 29
04-06-2013, 06:44 AM
seen a few posts like this in the past year n im sure some one, on one of therm said the devs poseted that there would not make a u turn on how u do STF. i love the STF missions how there are now and so do a lot of ppl. im f2p and done all cryptics content 4 times or more, except there undline one that takes a hour or more to do ill never do it, as it stands now if it was split in 2 n added to pve Q i would do it then.
Welcome to bugs online were we only fix the bugs you like, and will ignore the ones you hate.
These are the voyages of the USS Farmville. Her 5 year mission is to boldly farm where no one has farmed before.
Say No to ARK
Starfleet Veteran
# 30
04-06-2013, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
I want them back, yes...but not 100% as they were.

Cure ground for instance is perfect as it is now...the old was simply too long and repetitive.

I want them back not to replace current stfs, just as an alternative to play once or twice a week...maybe as a weekly mission that rewards around 500 omega marks and 2k dilithium.

No public queue, only private (premade)

Mob level 52 and the ground and space parts should be reunited.

fully agree...

and to put a little more challenging, requiring the player has the accolades:

Tier 5 Omega Reputation
Complete all Objectives optional on all Special Task Forces on the Elite / Normal setting
Complete 300 Special Task Forces on the Normal or Elite setting.
Collect all three pieces of the Mark XI or XII Ground Gear.

that way you eliminate 90% of the players newbies or who have mental problems
...now see my dedication plaque
USS PEACEMAKER
- NCC-511217-A
and Screenshot With Two Steps From Hell Music Mix
- Brazilian Fleet - lvl 20_Tier5 / Emb,DiliM,Spi lvl 9