Starfleet Veteran
# 11
04-05-2013, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuatela View Post
Yeah... that's pretty brilliant too. Make a website called "password tester", and then just wait for people to give you their passwords.
Passwords with no usernames are even less useful than usernames with no passwords. At least with the username you probably know what service the account is for.
Captain
# 12
04-05-2013, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuatela View Post
Yeah... that's pretty brilliant too. Make a website called "password tester", and then just wait for people to give you their passwords.
Exactly
Survivor of Romulus
# 13
04-05-2013, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave85 View Post
My password is a string of random garbage. When I want to log in, I go to LastPass and copy/paste the password into the launcher. I'd encourage everybody to adopt LastPass or something similar, and start using randomized passwords for their logins.
I considered this at one point but I hate the idea of not knowing what my passwords are. You know what's going to happen, your HDD is going to fail and your list of passwords from whatever clever software you're using are gone. The only other option is backup on the cloud - and I don't like the idea of having every password I use somewhere on the internet, no matter how "secure" the software is.
Survivor of Romulus
# 14
04-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elessym View Post
Why do you think that? My password is over 10 characters...
Then they must have updated their security. I normally use complex passwords with 20 characters, but PWE never liked them. Had to settle for 10 in the end.

If you say they accept longer passwords now, then I must update!

Fed Eng (Main). Fed Sci. Fed Tac. Rom Sci (KDF)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsune424 View Post
Here is your ticket to the USS Stupidity, Third class, four tacks on the chair, rules state you MUST sit on the chair, no standing, or hovering above the tacks, thank you have a nice day
Captain
# 15
04-05-2013, 08:03 AM
I use a password with letters and numbers, but it's not randomly generated. I was never hacked on any account so far. And I used letters only password for a long time before that, I changed to what it is now when SOE was hacked, which may have included my account.
But I never gave my password to anyone, except my mother once, so she could use my origin account to play dragon age^^ Never used any 3rd party service, like goldseller, cheat or anything.

So far, I'm either extremly lucky, or it works.
Survivor of Romulus
# 16
04-05-2013, 08:10 AM
Just updated, will only take a hacker 98 million years to crack my password.

When they do, I am sure I wont care about it by then lol

Fed Eng (Main). Fed Sci. Fed Tac. Rom Sci (KDF)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsune424 View Post
Here is your ticket to the USS Stupidity, Third class, four tacks on the chair, rules state you MUST sit on the chair, no standing, or hovering above the tacks, thank you have a nice day
Republic Veteran
# 17
04-05-2013, 08:46 AM
I bet a lot of nerds changed their password to

Yucbar123

Career Officer
# 18
04-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by topset View Post
I considered this at one point but I hate the idea of not knowing what my passwords are. You know what's going to happen, your HDD is going to fail and your list of passwords from whatever clever software you're using are gone. The only other option is backup on the cloud - and I don't like the idea of having every password I use somewhere on the internet, no matter how "secure" the software is.
I can't speak for other services, but LastPass at least is done correctly. For one thing, LastPass does not have your encryption key. They can't decrypt your data even if they wanted to. Your key is derived algorithmically from your password by the software you install on your computer. LastPass never sees your password, nor your key. The way you can generally tell this is if the service offers any kind of password reset/recovery option. If they can reset your password, it means they have your key. Conversely, this means if you forget your LastPass master password, you are well and truly screwed. So make sure you remember that one, and make it good. I also bought a Yubikey and tied my LastPass account to it as a second factor, so that makes me feel a lot better as well.

Security Now did an entire episode on LastPass if you want to hear about it in detail: http://twit.tv/sn256
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Mine will only take 58 years to crack, but I'm sure by that time, I'll be more concerned with my ability to digest solid foods than whether or not my STO account was hacked.
SGT Milton Monzon, SGT Alexander Fuller, SGT Michael Bartley, SGT Martin LaMar
Rest in Peace Brothers
Survivor of Romulus
# 20
04-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
I bet a lot of nerds changed their password to

Yucbar123
HUH?