Captain
# 1 S'rR's' Origin
04-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Doctor Who: The Spires of Pentaxia - Chapter V, Section II

Author's Note: The following is an exert from the Doctor Who manuscript I have been writing, which explains how S'rR's would be in a position to be granted the role of Pentaxian ambassador to the Federation.

Ch'K'rr and R'sH'd followed S'ld'n through the hall of the Military Academy of Science. As they walked, the slender scientist talked animatedly about the various projects under discussion, but one in particular, was the pinnacle of the heir Empress' visit.

"It took us almost a year to get the DNA to blend properly," he explained. "At first, we tried simple fertilization, but there was too much degradation in the Pentaxian samples, so instead, we decided try using segments from the alien DNA to replace those degraded sections of the genome, like a software patch, as well as adding the additional genetic coding. It took us several attempts just to get a viable embryo, but we got there in the end."

They reached a room which was more like spartan quarters than a lab, and passed through a set of pressurized doors. Against the back wall was a sheetless bed, and another wall accommodated a desk and computer terminal with a young girl sitting at it. As the doors hissed open, she turned and stood, her hands neatly clasped at waist height. Her slate grey-ringed eyes darted quickly from S'ld'n to Ch'K'rr and R'sH'd, but she gave no greeting. She was angelically beautiful, with bolt straight ice-blonde hair, and an almost ethereal quality to her features. She was dressed in simple garments which were nothing more than surgical scrubs.

"Highness, I would like to introduce you to S'rR's," S'ld'n said.

Ch'K'rr's brow furrowed in confusion.

"You never even gave her a name, just assigned her a number?"

"Why yes, that was the number of the fusion experiment which was viable, it seemed the most logical classification," replied S'ld'n, as if no other scenario would have been plausible.

"And what was the outcome of the genetic fusion?" Ch'K'rr enquired as S'rR's eyed S'ld'n warily.

"Well, despite the amount of alien DNA we had to work with, we weren't able to fully integrate the entire genetic sequence, as requested," replied the scientist. "Trying to incorporate the sequence for the full gene resulted in too many mitochondrial incompatibilities. So we had to make some compromises. Unlike the original genetic sponsor, her cellular structure only regenerates itself at an accelerated rate when she's injured. As you can see, she's nine years old, and ages quite normally."

"Indeed,"

"We actually had an interesting discovery a few days back," S'ld'n continued. "We shot her in the head with a projectile weapon, and although the physical damage repaired itself almost immediately, the projectile must have damaged a portion of her brain which deals with memory.

"She retained basic skills such as language and how to feed herself, but other acquired memories were erased. She still retains the muscle memories and reactions from her combat training. If you were to attack her, she would be able to defend herself flawlessly, but if you were to ask her to perform a combat sequence, she would be unable to do so."

Ch'K'rr's full lips compressed into a narrow line as she pondered what she was told.

"What are the limits of her regenerative abilities?" she asked.

"Oh very extensive," S'ld'n replied cheerfully. "Drugs, poisons and toxins have only a passing effect, and her immune system is of course not susceptible to infections. Radiation-induced cellular damage repairs itself immediately once the exposure has ended, and although severing limbs doesn't cause them to re-grow, they do fuse back to the separation point perfectly when re-attached. Of course, the wound to her head was fatal, yet her body still repaired the damage to itself, fully restoring her biologically, and here she is."

"Living and breathing," Ch'K'rr replied, struggling to keep her emotions in check.

"Nothing like a practical demonstration though," S'ld'n declared, reaching into the pocket of his lab coat, taking out a small, oblong device.

S'rR's' eyes grew wide with panic, and before Ch'K'rr could say anything, S'ld'n flicked the primer of the combustion grenade, and tossed it at S'rR's.

Almost immediately, the child was engulfed in a ball of super-heated plasma, her clothing ignited, and she collapsed to the floor screaming and convulsing.

Involuntarily, Ch'K'rr started forwards, but R'sH'd held her back, preventing her from being burned by the conflagration. After what seemed an eternity, the screaming stopped, and S'rR's lay still, flames still licking at her form, before the labs fire suppression system kicked in, and extinguishing gasses smothered the flames, leaving a blackened, charred body curled on the floor.

"By Grapthar's hammer, is she dead?" R'sH'd demanded, momentarily unable to distinguish between his distaste for S'ld'n's behavior, or the idea of S'rR's' mixed DNA.

"Oh no," S'ld'n replied cheerfully, consulting his scanner. "She's only passed out from the pain, she's not dead, she wasn't burning long enough to asphyxiate."

"You monster!" Ch'K'rr screamed, shrugging free of R'sH'd's restraint. "How dare you treat a child in such a manner!"

S'ld'n blinked in confusion.

"What do you mean, your Highness? She's not a child, she's an experiment. A very successful one. Look."

Lowering her gaze, Ch'K'rr saw that the burned, flaking skin covering S'rR's was smoothing out and returning to its original light tan, regenerating in seconds, injuries which should have taken weeks, if not months to heal, although her hair remained burned away. Moments later, her eyes opened, and she pulled herself into a sitting position, her slim arms hugging her legs to her chest.

Kneeling, Ch'K'rr reached out to touch S'rR's' arm, but she backed away from her touch, and for the first time, she spoke. Her voice had no fear, merely resignation.

"Are you going to hurt me too?"

Ch'K'rr felt a white-hot anger lumping in her chest, and she almost wept as she shook her head. Her scalp bristling with anger, she stood and faced S'ld'n.

"From this moment on, this child is under my protection. You are never to lay a finger on her again."

The scientist blinked in confusion.

"I don't understand, Highness, we were simply doing as you ordered," he replied.

"I ordered you to find a way of further enhancing the A'nla sh'k!" Ch'K'rr shouted. "I did not order you to create an indestructible child you could butcher and call research!"

"But she's not butchered, she's fine," S'ld'n insisted.

"You just set fire to a living being, whom you have clearly also poisoned and maimed, just to see what would happen!" Ch'K'rr thundered. "You shot her through the head and wound up wiping her memory! This project is terminated! Immediately! I am taking S'rR's with me, and I swear on the bones of my father, you will never again set foot in a scientific institution!"

"But you can't do that," S'ld'n protested. "She's an experiment, she's the property of the Pentaxian militia. You can't just take her home like a stray animal."

Ch'K'rr's eyes widened, and she drew herself up to her full height, her hands balling into fists, but she did not scream any further. Instead, her voice took on a low, deadly tone which chilled R'sH'd to his marrow.

"I am the heir Empress of the Pentaxian Dynasty," she stated. "The militia exists to serve me: Its property is my property, and I can do with it what I please. This is not an experiment, nor a stray animal, this is a child. She is under my protection, and is leaving with me now." Reaching out, Ch'K'rr ripped S'ld'n's lab coat from his shoulders, and draped it around S'rR's, before continuing. "You have grossly overstepped your mandate, S'ld'n, you have shamed yourself and your profession. You should prey that I do not decide to have you brought up on charges of abuse, and accordingly punished!" Before either S'ld'n or R'sH'd could say anything, Ch'K'rr helped S'rR's to her feet and ushered her from the lab.

Last edited by marcusdkane; 04-07-2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Removing ??s...
Captain
# 2
04-07-2013, 04:45 PM
For ease of reference/visualization, here're the actors I would cast if I was filming this tomorrow...

Ch'K'rr - Scarlett Johansson
R'sH'd - Alexander Skarsgard
S'ld'n - Paul Bettany
S'rR's - Elle Fanning
Career Officer
# 3
04-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Even though I've never been much of a Dr. Who fan, this seems like a terrific read. I hope you get it published.

I've always been fascinated by the ability of sci-fi and fantasy authors to conjure up a species, culture, language and mythology and seem to effortlessly translate these alien perspectives into their characters.

I'm also fascinated by mad scientists, and S'ld'n is a fine example of the breed. Brilliant piece of casting by the way - Paul Bettany is one of a very small handful of actors I could picture setting a child on fire without any remorse or emotion.
Captain
# 4
04-08-2013, 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
Even though I've never been much of a Dr. Who fan, this seems like a terrific read. I hope you get it published.

I've always been fascinated by the ability of sci-fi and fantasy authors to conjure up a species, culture, language and mythology and seem to effortlessly translate these alien perspectives into their characters.

I'm also fascinated by mad scientists, and S'ld'n is a fine example of the breed. Brilliant piece of casting by the way - Paul Bettany is one of a very small handful of actors I could picture setting a child on fire without any remorse or emotion.
Thanks, I certainly hope to get it published ^_^ That said, I haven't done much work on the manuscript since I got into the LCs Originally, S'rR's was just intended to be the Empress' ward, but following the ST TimeLine jump, I decided to see where the years had taken her My actual inspiration for S'ld'n, was Jim Parsons' portrayal of Dr Sheldon Cooper (hence the name ), but he wouldn't be a fitting choice for the role, but thought Paul Bettany would be someone capable of behaving so inhumanely, while believing that they were just 'doing their job'