Lt. Commander
# 81
04-07-2013, 01:29 PM
I just started a DOFF mission called "Host Multicultural Religious Symposium".
Captain
# 82
04-07-2013, 01:30 PM
I am so utterly confused over this thread now...

First, we have people asking to include a nondenominational chapel SOMEWHERE in STO so that there can be a place of peace and quiet reflection.

My Response: This is a game. Not a life simulator. If we want to include everything in real life in here, lets start with a functional toilet on the bridge.

Second, we have people are saying that adding such a feature would be insulting or demeaning to them because they are not religious or spiritual.

My Response: Just because the add something into the game does not mean you have to participate or acknowledge it. Just ignore it like everyone ignores Risa and Andoria.

Third, we have people saying that this will conflict with canon because everyone in the Federation is atheist now since warp flight.

My Response: Religion hasn't gone away in the entire existence of our civilization. While the numbers, beliefs, and cultural significance may fluctuate, I don't see religion being completely wiped out in the 22nd century. Heck, some top end scientist who study and teach biological evolution, cosmology, and other subjects actually have a deeper faith in the divine after reaching out to it reach science. I mean, Come on, look up to the starry sky and you can't help but feel awe and wonder. Sometimes, that awe and wonder is religion, sometimes scientific, sometimes a weird mix of both. I have zero issue with some poor redshirt praying for his safe return when he beams down to a strange planet alongside Kirk. Nor his families eventual memorial service at his hometown church.

Fourth, we have RPers who want a chapel of some sort to hold ceremonies in during their roleplaying.

My Response: Improvise. Use your Imagination. Having everyone stand around in shiny white diplomatic dress uniforms, even if mismatched tends to lead to an atmosphere of ceremony.
Example of my Promotion Ceramony in FleetOps You don't need a to ask Cryptic for everything you need for a good RP. 80% of it is your imagination.

and Finally we have people saying that they will refuse to contribute to such a project.

My Response: Good, No one asked you too. I never contributed to the Tribble project on my starbase... and looked what happened.

That is all. Thank you, and good night.
Lt. Commander
# 83
04-07-2013, 01:37 PM
"Good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil?that takes religion"

Actually I think specifically it takes dogmatic thinking, something even atheists can be guilty of. As an atheist, I know a lot of dogmatic atheists who are just as much jerks as some of the worst religious folks I have met.

However ; religious folk are far more prone to dogmatic thinking, and religions have very damaging dogma. And before anyone points out Buddhism as an example of a benign faith ; http://www.dvb.no/analysis/popular-b...litarism/23595

A belief you are doing God's work, or the service of whatever divine power in the universe, simply makes you feel that your hatred is in the interest of that supreme power.

A belief in no supreme power at all means you are forced in general to be more critical of those beliefs as being human based and not divine, and it means there are more people to call you out on your ignorance and irrationality rather than enable it and follow you blindly.

"You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do."

People are naturally wired to be bigots, that is fact. Having a religious belief system makes us think that hatred is divinely influenced, and we will follow others who say what we want to hear as the word of God.

A peaceful and organized world like the Earth in Star Trek simply has no place for religion. The xenophobia it would enable would make forming the Federation impossible.
Survivor of Romulus
# 84
04-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Theres a very nice temple on new romulus (bit of a fixer upper)
Captain
# 85
04-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Just add a function room for RP, including as a chapel.

I just presumed that in the future people believed in their gods , rather than having organised religions. More sense that way.
Delta Rising is the best ex... oh sod it, I just want my Jupiter and Typhoon

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.
JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it!
Unofficial Bortasq' Uniform colour guide here.

Last edited by artan42; 04-07-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Career Officer
# 86
04-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustiswordz View Post
Danger, religious nutboys detected, raise shields arm all weapons.

Woowoo jocks off the starboard bow prepare to engage...

Religeon has no place in the Trek universe, more accurately the Federation that got over their love of the wibbly wobbly brigade. Let the Vulcans have their Surak, Klingons, Kaless and the Bajorans their Prophets but keep the Feds out of it.

Last thing I want it someone preaching to me how to live my life, I find that offensive.

Keep religeon well out of Trek, keep it out of STO.
I don't know whether I should be offended or if I should just laugh.
Lt. Commander
Career Officer
Lt. Commander
# 89
04-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
Commenting on how a world that developed semi-convergently has just now found Christ does not mean that Kirk believes in him. Considering Roddenberry was one of the primary writers of that episode, it was more likely intended as an anthropological statement than an appreciation of them finding the right God.

Also ; commenting on religious beliefs in the TOS era means little in the TNG and later era. TOS was far closer to the founding of the Federation. Mankind had seen less of the galaxy and the Federation was still mostly humans. This game takes place post-Voyager/TNG and thus we should focus on religion as it is presented in these shows.
Survivor of Romulus
# 90 man trap
04-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Lt. Hikaru Sulu: May the Great Bird of the Galaxy bless your planet.

Religion is endemic in trek
ALL major characters have faith
Closed Thread