Lt. Commander
Returning after quite a long break. Looking at my abilities, weapons, BOFF, gear, etc - I've got 0 clue on what the 'current thinking' is when it comes to top tier. I left about a month after the starbase system launched. At that time I had generic XII blue gear(beam banks).

Anyone want to give me some goals to aspire to in terms of item acquisition and ability/boff loadouts? Currently in a Recon SciVessel...so need recs on updating that as well..

I rarely will ever do PVP anymore(did it a bit a long time ago but lack of updates has gave me a bit of disgust). I prefer to play more of a CC/Dmg role - not so much the shield buff everyone role.

Help greatly appreciated...thanks
Career Officer
# 2
04-11-2013, 05:33 AM
Not a ton has changed since you left, really. I can't remember the entire timeline, tho.

Vesta was released. People fawn over it like its God. I have one, still prefer my Atrox.

Romulan reputation + Romulan embassys = Crazy good plasma gear. Work that up and look into getting some +plasma consoles at the very least. Unless you go Vesta, which is kinda phaser-locked if you want to get the most out of your quantum focus phaser.

If you do go Atrox, Elite Scorps are bloody amazing.

Grav well is still pretty much king for sci abilities PvE. VM is still nice. Drains were buffed then nerfed again, (They took all the drain abilities off shared cooldowns, then later it seems like they added power insulators to higher level NPCs, after S7 I could no longer reliably get shields down like I used to prior)

Not really a lot of change tho, you luck out.
I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!

Vice Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-11-2013, 05:43 AM
Is plasma the go to thing now for everyone then(including tac and cruisers?) or is it just the new shiny; so everyone wants it? lol.

I know the next big update is next month, is there anything I should be looking forward to in that SCI wise?
Career Officer
# 4
04-11-2013, 05:48 AM
Its new shiny, and at least in the case of low tac slot beam boats the differences between going full plasma and just stacking lots of +plasma consoles for the plasma procs were nominal at best.

But the consoles are certainly worth the investment, regardless of what energy type you chose. That is where most of the boost comes from, at least in my testing.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...&postcount=106

The torps are nice. The experimental beam is over rated, but it is good.

Edit: I've been trying to save some for the release, but I hear in the new tholian rep there will be rewards that give bonuses for running high Aux power... that will certainly help a sci. Sorry, I'm putting my fingers in my ears and going "NANANANA!"

Edit: I found the best part of going plasma for sci was the romulan weapons 3pc set giving you the mini BO, as I tended to run low on tac slots and the mini bo doesn't share cooldown with beam abilites.

Last edited by kimmym; 04-11-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Career Officer
# 5
04-11-2013, 06:48 AM
Kim, were you able to get your ship back thru customer support?
Career Officer
# 6
04-11-2013, 07:41 AM
I didn't even file the ticket =P

I knew better for one, and thankfully it was not my main gear.

It hurt, but not enough to even frustrate myself with a declined ticket.

I'm mostly out of the hole already, just keep kicking myself over the EC cost on the weapons... but meh I'll live.

I'd rather have my base back =( but that is another story.