Career Officer
# 1 FOUNDRY: Map Change Load Times
04-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Can I get an explanation of why the foundry maps take forever to load during transition from one map to another. Starbases do this too if no one is on the station already. Nebulas too... This never used to be like this. They used to load fast...

And NO, its not my computer, just built a new one to almost latest modest specs.

=/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
Original Handle: the_orig_jean_luc_picard

Last edited by blznfun; 04-07-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Captain
# 2
04-07-2013, 04:22 PM
When a map is not used, IE nobody on it, it's not loaded. The map does not even exist. The first person to come have to load the map, I think it's an explanation for your nebulae/fleet problem.
For the foundry, maps are not part of the game. They are probably loaded from scratch when you use them. On the contrary, FE map are probably already on your computer, and will require less time to load.

I'm not sure, it's just a theory, but it seems true so far Anyway, if I'm right, there nothing to do.
Career Officer
# 3
04-07-2013, 04:32 PM
I've noticed this too but it extrends far beyond just the foundry or base stations.

I've noticed it takes a really long time for the turbolift to change levels on my ship when compared to the load time on the fleet base station or embassy turbolift levels.

Surely there's something seriously outdated in the code handling the older locations or the code of these locations.

Could it have anything to do with the foundry being such old code that people need to know how to program to use the foundry? Could it be that a serious looking into is needed to make the foundry work properly have the update ui of the newest NWO title and to improve load times across the board for the entire game?

I sure hope someone is doing the last part when it comes to LoR because it's time, it's been three years of horrible load screen times now, something's gotta give.
I would like for the devs to open a poll/feedback thread on what exactly the players would like to see in the near future for the game.
Rihannsu
# 4
04-07-2013, 09:25 PM
No...

AFAIK, it's just a matter of DLing data from the game server. The progress completion thing doesn't work the way you would expect it to. It often sits at 2% for a minute then suddently zips up to 100%.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
04-08-2013, 06:15 AM
While this won't work for Foundry missions, you can disable on-demand patching from the launcher to speed up map load times. This will also make your patches larger though.

Foundry is a whole other beast as it will have to download the maps from the server no matter what.

@greendragoon
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
04-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Keep this in mind, in a number of cases, its the authors 'fault' for the load times. When I say that, its because of the fact, we often tend to like pretty maps. The more complex the map (IE the more of your object limit you use) the more work has to be done to load the map. Most of Cryptic's environment maps are 'baked' in, they arent objects that have to be loaded and tracked, they are part of the background as it is. For every object that we put on a map, that has to be indexed, positioned, states have to be looked at, those are a few calculations that have to be made right there

With that said, can improvements be made, oh I am totally sure they can be, in fact the increased object limit that exists in NW says that this can be done. Now how soon we will see this make its way over to us.... that is a rant for another time.
Career Officer
# 7
04-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
While this won't work for Foundry missions, you can disable on-demand patching from the launcher to speed up map load times. This will also make your patches larger though.

Foundry is a whole other beast as it will have to download the maps from the server no matter what.
I already have that disabled.

Its almost like they took resources away from these maps for elsewhere. The foundry used to be slow, but not this slow. Nebulas take as much time now as foundry maps and their transitions.

As far as "authors fault", I don't believe this either. Cryptic created mission maps load fast and I have seen some pretty dazzling maps there. I hope this issue gets looked into. They want us to do spotlight missions but its very frustrating when it takes a long time just to load a map, let alone it's transitions.

=/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
Original Handle: the_orig_jean_luc_picard