Republic Veteran
I want to wish everyone a T-50 year anniversary of First Contact Day!

But given recent news of a fleet having their assets stolen by a hacked account, I think today would be a great day for everyone to change their passwords. You should be changing them out twice a year anyway but I know some of us are guilty of not doing so (myself included).

So celebrate the day the world changes forever by changing your password to STO! Protect your stuff!

Since your password is only as secure as you make it, use this great password tester: http://howsecureismypassword.net/
According to it, a hacker would need 83 quintillion years to hack my home router.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.

Last edited by commadorebob; 04-05-2013 at 06:45 AM. Reason: added more info
Empire Veteran
# 2
04-05-2013, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post

But given recent news, I think today would be a great day for everyone to change their passwords. You should be changing them out twice a year anyway but I know some of us are guilty of not doing so (myself included).

So celebrate the day the world changes forever by changing your password to STO! Protect your stuff!
what news ?
If only they fix Cloaking bugg *new message BOOM decloacked.
Republic Veteran
# 3
04-05-2013, 06:41 AM
Ah, there was a "break-in" of a players account that resulted in a fleet losing everything. So, I'm merely suggesting that everyone take a moment to change their passwords. You know, to protect your stuff.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Career Officer
# 4
04-05-2013, 07:17 AM
My password is a string of random garbage. When I want to log in, I go to LastPass and copy/paste the password into the launcher. I'd encourage everybody to adopt LastPass or something similar, and start using randomized passwords for their logins.
Captain
# 5
04-05-2013, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave85 View Post
My password is a string of random garbage. When I want to log in, I go to LastPass and copy/paste the password into the launcher. I'd encourage everybody to adopt LastPass or something similar, and start using randomized passwords for their logins.
Or, you know, just don't share your user account.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
04-05-2013, 07:23 AM
No matter how much you might trust that fleet member who you have never met in real life but feel you can share your account with them JUST DONT.

Think how much time you have invested into your account as well as money and ask yourselves how you would feel if that got taken form you
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
04-05-2013, 07:29 AM
The only problem is PWE does not like long passwords. Over 10 characters and it all goes to hell.....

Fed Eng (Main). Fed Sci. Fed Tac. Rom Sci (KDF)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsune424 View Post
Here is your ticket to the USS Stupidity, Third class, four tacks on the chair, rules state you MUST sit on the chair, no standing, or hovering above the tacks, thank you have a nice day
Captain
# 8
04-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfrancks View Post
The only problem is PWE does not like long passwords. Over 10 characters and it all goes to hell.....
Why do you think that? My password is over 10 characters...
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
04-05-2013, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post

But given recent news of a fleet having their assets stolen by a hacked account, I think today would be a great day for everyone to change their passwords. You should be changing them out twice a year anyway but I know some of us are guilty of not doing so (myself included).

Since your password is only as secure as you make it, use this great password tester:
(website link)
According to it, a hacker would need 83 quintillion years to hack my home router.

Yeah... that's pretty brilliant too. Make a website called "password tester", and then just wait for people to give you their passwords.

I still want bare feet.... on ALL costumes.
Career Officer
# 10
04-05-2013, 07:41 AM
It's over 14 characters when the system freaks out. I usually use passwords over 14, but had to downsize so I could actually log in.

Also if their account was hacked, how did they get around Cryptic's email code thing? Whenever I change locations or log in on a different PC it doesn't let me log in until I go copy/paste the code they send to my email. I doubt that both this persons email AND game account were hacked. Sounds like they shared account info with someone, which is a big no-no.
-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009