Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lieutenant
ok something is wrong between 2 of my toons in terms of the dmg they deal with this skill at the same power level, same training, and no additional buffs.

http://www.stowiki.org/Ability:_Dire...rgy_Modulation

Tactical toon, 99 ship weapon training 99 ship energy weapon training, 125 weapon power
directed energy modulation 1 = 40 per pulse
directed energy modulation 3 = 80 per pulse

engineer toon 99 ship weapon training, 99 ship energy weapon training, 125 weapon power
directed energy modulation 2 = 38 per pulse.

how is the tact toon's directed energy modulation 1(which is an engineer skill btw) higher than the engineer's directed energy modulation 2. when both ships have the same stuff.

and this is WITHOUT any of Tactical's dmg boost from skills.
Empire Veteran
# 2
04-16-2013, 11:53 AM
the one that showed more damage you were proboly using phasers with, it displays more damage with them. the tooltip for DEM is unreliable, doesn't seem to show what your actual damage is.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Lieutenant
# 3
04-16-2013, 11:56 AM
you sure? tact toon was using phasers yes.
and engi was using phased polaron.

but when i clicked to make the skills active and hovered over the weapon's window it showed
Tact:
DEM 1= 60 per pulse
DEM 3= 120 per pulse
Engi:
DEM 2=40 per pulse.

just making me even more confused
Lieutenant
# 4
04-16-2013, 01:15 PM
ok the answer was found. a fleet member of mine @wiipe found out that Phaser Relays boost DEM damage.

why do they boost the damage and other dont? idk. guess it another of many things Cryptic decided to not mention, or if it a bug, fix.

can someone update STO wiki and put that info in.
Captain
# 5
04-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Its a long time display error.

The actual damage is the same. Only the tool tip is broken.
When the messenger comes to appropriate your profits ... kill the messenger.
Captain
# 6
04-17-2013, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aenta View Post
ok the answer was found. a fleet member of mine @wiipe found out that Phaser Relays boost DEM damage.

why do they boost the damage and other dont? idk. guess it another of many things Cryptic decided to not mention, or if it a bug, fix.

can someone update STO wiki and put that info in.
Tested it a week or two ago, the actual damage between Phasers/Disruptor is pretty much equal.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 7
04-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post
Its a long time display error.

The actual damage is the same. Only the tool tip is broken.
This is true.

DEM deals additional damage of whatever energy type weapon is used to activate it, but the tooltip always displays the Phaser damage figures, for simplicity. The alternative would be to have it display all damage types, which would be even more confusing since only the one(s) that match your outgoing energy type actually get applied to your target.

In other words, if you use Disruptor weapons and activate DEM, the additional damage it adds will be Disruptor damage and will be properly influenced by Disruptor consoles. The tooltip, unfortunately, cannot display this.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Rihannsu
# 8
04-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
DEM deals additional damage of whatever energy type weapon is used to activate it, but the tooltip always displays the Phaser damage figures, for simplicity. The alternative would be to have it display all damage types, which would be even more confusing since only the one(s) that match your outgoing energy type actually get applied to your target.

In other words, if you use Disruptor weapons and activate DEM, the additional damage it adds will be Disruptor damage and will be properly influenced by Disruptor consoles. The tooltip, unfortunately, cannot display this.
So if using Phased Polarons, does DEM do twice the dmg? For both the Phaser and Polaron aspect? or just the latter?

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Need Help with Ship's Power? Check out my Ship Power Guide and Calculator.
Captain
# 9
04-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhavelock View Post
So if using Phased Polarons, does DEM do twice the dmg? For both the Phaser and Polaron aspect? or just the latter?
Only the damage-dealing energy type in hybrid weapons is affected. In other words, you deal polaron damage.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Career Officer
# 10
04-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
This is true.

Wait, that's pretty significant.

What you are saying then is that when I'm using Polaron weapons with Polaron consoles + DEM the amount of damage listed is actually inaccurate as it is not displaying the Polaron console boosts.

So in effect, the Phaser is the only accurate tooltip and the rest are underrepresented visually.

Up until now I had always, erroneously, thought that the Phaser relays + DEM were simply displaying more damage than would be actually delivered. Fascinating.

Last edited by ussultimatum; 04-17-2013 at 10:10 AM.