Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,454
# 11
04-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqafgqegqe4ag View Post
WoW had a weekly cap on the points you could earn if I remember their system right. No timers at all. While I did cancel WoW (more than once), it wasn't because of the endgame grind (until the most recent expansion).

Alternatively, instead of only five tiers that require tens of thousands of points, what if there were sub-levels of those tiers that required far less points? I'd rather take 20 little steps with 1 hour timers than 1 big step with a 20 hour timer.
WoW was traditionally more daily oriented or repeat grind oriented (spent 18 hours in one session finishing my Wintersaber) but has shifted to limited repeatables that reset weekly, which I do strongly prefer.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,242
# 12
04-08-2013, 09:13 PM
I am assuming the long-term goal is to have several different Rep projects. For example, the new CE Fleet Action is the first in an Event Reputation system. Having several different Reps that you do once per day can fill up a lot of time - and time-sinks are what most MMOs need.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 688
# 13
04-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
The goal is to do your Rep event and then go and do other things in the game. The goal is not just to have people power-grind through 1 event. If they allowed it people would be done in a day or two and then have nothing else to work toward.
That doesn't even make sense, you're not working towards a goal under the reputation system. You're grinding towards some asinine objectives that were implemented to replace drop systems that were far superior so that players "were put on even footing" because the developers couldn't figure out how to fix drop rates.

Understand now?
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,242
# 14
04-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectfrontier View Post
That doesn't even make sense, you're not working towards a goal under the reputation system. You're grinding towards some asinine objectives that were implemented to replace drop systems that were far superior so that players "were put on even footing" because the developers couldn't figure out how to fix drop rates.

Understand now?
Let's just say I disagree with you and leave it at that.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 688
# 15
04-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
I am assuming the long-term goal is to have several different Rep projects. For example, the new CE Fleet Action is the first in an Event Reputation system. Having several different Reps that you do once per day can fill up a lot of time - and time-sinks are what most MMOs need.
MMO's do not need time-sinks. MMO's need content that rewards and motivates players to participate. World of ******** has a lot of "daily reptuation" activities - they represent the opposite end of the "reptuation" spectrum. But at least they got the whole "shooting bad guys gives reputation" part right.
Captain
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 688
# 16
04-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Let's just say I disagree with you and leave it at that.
Disagreeing does not validate your argument; in fact there is nothing I can think of that would validate your argument.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,242
# 17
04-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectfrontier View Post
MMO's do not need time-sinks. MMO's need content that rewards and motivates players to participate. World of ******** has a lot of "daily reptuation" activities - they represent the opposite end of the "reptuation" spectrum. But at least they got the whole "shooting bad guys gives reputation" part right.
When I game does not have Mission Content it needs time-sinks: ways to keep people in the game and doing things even if it's not Missions. That's what the Rep system is about. That's what the Doff system is about.

No one's denying the game needs more Mission Content. Unfortunately the first 3 years of STO's existence has been plagued by a number of issue that have made getting Mission Content into the game difficult.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 14,534
# 18
04-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
I am assuming the long-term goal is to have several different Rep projects. For example, the new CE Fleet Action is the first in an Event Reputation system. Having several different Reps that you do once per day can fill up a lot of time - and time-sinks are what most MMOs need.
Pretty much this, eh?

New Rom Rep.
Omega Rep.
Tholian Rep.
Event Rep.
X Rep.
Y Rep.
Z Rep.

At a certain point, it's going to be impossible to keep it all going on more than a small handful of toons...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 230
# 19
04-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Since the game is F2P they extend things to keep people playing longer and logging in more often.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,242
# 20
04-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectfrontier View Post
Disagreeing does not validate your argument; in fact there is nothing I can think of that would validate your argument.
I'm not sure why you're so aggressive. Maybe your GF cut you off. Whatever. I'm not going to bite. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. Life is strange that way.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:00 PM.