Captain
# 31
04-08-2013, 10:31 PM
As somebody who has all 6 toons on t5 reputation, I certify this thread as a rant
Survivor of Romulus
# 32
04-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqafgqegqe4ag View Post
The reputation system. Who's idea was it to put 20 hour timers on that crap?

My romulan rep is t0 and my borg rep is t2, after all this time. Why? I log in. I grind out the requirements in a couple minutes for whatever the three tasks are. I start the thing. And then... I gotta wait 20 hours. What does that make me do? It makes me log off to go do other things "while I wait".

And that's what's confusing to me. Why would they design something to make people want to log OUT, instead of wanting to stay IN?

While I'm sure some people have had success with it, I was getting much better results progressing back when I could sit down on a Saturday and go on an 8 hour STF marathon, even with low drop rates.
I agree with all of this.

Plus, DS9 looks so deserted now.
And poor Roxy...she must be dancing on tables for food now
I do NOT want to use ARC to play STO

"Far as I see it, you people been given the shortest end of the stick ever been offered a human soul in this crap-heel 'verse. But you took that end, and you - well, you took it. And that's - Well, I guess that's somethin'." - Some Random Guy's Epic Quote
Lt. Commander
# 33
04-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectfrontier View Post
That doesn't even make sense, you're not working towards a goal under the reputation system. You're grinding towards some asinine objectives that were implemented to replace drop systems that were far superior so that players "were put on even footing" because the developers couldn't figure out how to fix drop rates.

Understand now?
You are right. They never fixed the drop rate. Once I got a new tune to level 50 and got MK12 Maco engines and Shields on back to back missions. SO I must have grinded dozens of the since before the rep system and nevr got the MK12 Deflector. The drop system never worked and the grind is way to long. Espacially if you have multipe characters. I always thought since you ginded so many mission and they do keep those stats. They could at least tie in some of the drops to accolades or somethins like that. The worst thing that could happen is you get an extra MK12 Shield or Engine requisition.

I mean really hundreds of hours waiting for some new stuff the costs a bundle even once you qualify. I only recently reaced tier 5 on Romulan side. I don't want to go through that again!

They really need to find a better balance bewteen the casual players. And those who grind a tune to level 50 in a week and move on to another tune. I see no reason to go through that grind again! The only thing left for my main toon is to top off all the consoles to MK12 and maybe some cool stuff for the extra ships!

Last edited by zztoppers; 04-08-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Lieutenant
# 34
04-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Well, you don't have to do anything that much.

But MMOs generally aren't built around the idea of you doing anything less than 20-30 times.

In that respect, they're more like Street Fighter than a pure RPG because they're a tight budget product.

You don't stop playing Guile's level in SFII after you beat it once even if it is mechanically a LOT like Blanka's level.
The problem here is that fighting games are designed specifically for multiplayer competetition and the incentive to play more is to improve your execution and strategy to be able to win more often. If you've spent 3 years doing nothing but the same arcade mode runthroughs, then odds are you're probably going to get a lot more bored with the game than you would if you had spent the time practicing Juri's BnB combo enough to be able to reliably execute the 1-frame link between her low short and low forward, learning her most effective Feng Shui Engine combos, or barring that being able to FADC out of her H.senpusha into her ultra 2. And then being able to do all that in a match with another human being without screwing it up.

Not that any of that is actually pertinent to this discussion since it's all pvp related and we're discussing the pitfalls of the pve reputation system, to which very little new content has been added since launch to keep the players "thrilled" while they grind marks to sink into building rep.
Republic Veteran
# 35
04-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Quote:

My romulan rep is t0 and my borg rep is t2, after all this time. Why? I log in. I grind out the requirements in a couple minutes for whatever the three tasks are. I start the thing. And then... I gotta wait 20 hours. What does that make me do? It makes me log off to go do other things "while I wait".

And that's what's confusing to me. Why would they design something to make people want to log OUT, instead of wanting to stay IN?

While I'm sure some people have had success with it, I was getting much better results progressing back when I could sit down on a Saturday and go on an 8 hour STF marathon, even with low drop rates.
It takes me 10 minutes of work to fill my rep every day. If I only had ten minutes, and there was no timer, I would be at a severe disadvantage next to players who have no lives and play all day.

Basically, it replaces extreme grind with a timer because it is the most logical method to even the playing field between the casuals and the poopsockers.
____
STO community Doom-O-Meter: ||||||||| >> WARNING <<
Career Officer
# 36
04-09-2013, 10:25 AM
the design flaw I've had the misfortune of discovering is where you can't cancel a goal.

I've had a secondary shield goal stuck in one of the mission tabs now for about 2 months, I got the shield but instead of it canceling it's stuck now. I only have 1 tab to do anything in and support keeps telling me to report it as a bug over and over.

Well I did two months ago why isn't it fixed???
Is hoping that Isis is an adequate replacement for the Sensor Targetting Assault loss we'll experience in Season 9.
Career Officer
# 37
04-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectfrontier View Post
MMO's do not need time-sinks. MMO's need content that rewards and motivates players to participate. World of ******** has a lot of "daily reptuation" activities - they represent the opposite end of the "reptuation" spectrum. But at least they got the whole "shooting bad guys gives reputation" part right.
Played WoW for 4 years. After Grinding Cenarion faction for WEEKS for a Hunter Axe (which also required a number of materials only available from weekly 20 main raid content) - I can't believe you are trying to say WoW:

- Doesn't have LONG rep grinds
- Doesn't have time gated content tied to those LONG rep grinds.

That's just NOT the case with WoW (or any modern MMO these days).
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Lieutenant
# 38
04-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Quote:

I agree, the REP system is stupid to begin with. People that play STO can not seem to comprehend the screwing they got from Cryptic with the introduction of this scheme.

I am tier 0 on 6 50's and will forever remain tier 0 and just use fleet gear. I am not going to participate in their timegate crap, nor am I going to pay for MACO gear that I used to get for free from doing STF"s. I would take the game of luck in drops over doing this system. And what is even worse is that once you get it complete on one character..you have to do it ALL OVER AGAIN on another.
Lieutenant
# 39
04-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
In that respect, they're more like Street Fighter than a pure RPG because they're a tight budget product.
Also I just want to come back to this because in what universe are fighting games "tight budget projects"? The production costs for a single SF4 character is around $1 million. A low budget fighting game like Skullgirls isn't even able to complete a character for less than $200 thousand. The amount of time, money, and effort that goes into modeling, animations, precise frame-by-frame hitboxing, etc. is ridiculous. I don't think you could have picked a worse genre to compare MMO development to.
Career Officer
# 40
04-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
The Thrill comes from the content that gives you marks.
It was thrilling the first couple dozen times you run it. After that, it gets boring. Romulan marks should drop from any Romulan involved content, as should OMEGA marks drop from any Borg related content. Pigeonholing these into a handful of activities is what makes it overly boring IMO.
Captain Kirk is climbing a mountain. Why is he climbing a mountain? Is he learning to fly?