Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 354
# 51
04-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by millimidget View Post
...welfare epic...
...and there we have it. You, as an individual player, are not an arbiter -- let alone the final one -- of who has earned anything, whatsoever, in this game. Definitely not wherein developers have clearly laid out a system in which an arbitrary amount of time and effort put forth by a player, regardless of who that player is or how they have chosen to play, will reward the player and thereby the developers are the final arbiters of who earns what.

And, not even in the wildest dreams of any "hardcore" player, in a system in which rewards are determined wholly by random number generation. Especially when that system yields a potential consequence of a player riding the coattails of others, not even contributing enough to justify their presence, and simply getting lucky over others who have put hours and great effort into their group contribution and character(s). Especially when the corollary to that is the former player is said, by those among the player base who have the hubris to presume themselves arbiters of player worthiness, to have actually earned that item over the latter.

You know, when I raided in WoW, I had one job and one job alone. That job was to sit in the back of the raid, decurse, and whispercast five-minute blessings to others. Two buttons, that each executed scripts in-game. No skill, I didn't even have to be paying attention (and in fact I rarely did, I alternated between pushing the comma and period keys while watching TV), and a bot program could frankly have done my job more efficiently and quicker in every situation but the exceedingly rare opportunity for me to push a third key -- Divine Intervention with an auto-target argument for my designated priest.

I didn't "earn" a single damn purple my paladin wore, yet time and again I'd get loot priority over ret paladins in the raid who absolutely busted their ass learning boss fight mechanics and theorycraft, crunching numbers nonstop, and putting that extra mile into their characters to reliably get in the top 5 DPS over hunters and rogues who were doing the same repetitive, absolutely mindless, two-button tango I did as the "decurse bot". Yet time and again, I'd get mad props for not letting any debuff sit on a player, or buff fall off a player, for longer than a global cooldown cycle, and told I'd "earned" every piece of gear my toon wore...none of which actually mattered, since I could have cleansed and blessed naked without a single performance hit. By the same people who later railed against "welfare epics" as if rolling high on a need roll is somehow a magical form of entitlement no other player in the game has, no matter the effort, knowhow, time, or consideration they put into their play.

Don't even attempt to lecture me on who earns (or doesn't earn) a damn thing in a game. I think we're done here.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 170
# 52
04-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqafgqegqe4ag View Post
The reputation system. Who's idea was it to put 20 hour timers on that crap?
It started off as 40 hours! Be happy it's still 20.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,757
# 53
04-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Why?
becuase 21 seemed petty.
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP
Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 488
# 54
04-09-2013, 04:55 PM
My response, copied from another thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by millimidget View Post
You're putting in the time either way.

It's not like removing the timers would remove the grind. You still need to grind however many thousands of marks per rep faction.

You're just no longer being forced to log in once a day for 30-50 days. You're actually free to approach the system in a way which suits your gaming schedule. And if your schedule dictates you can only log in for 15-30 minutes per day each day every day, then good for you, because you're free to do that too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theodrim View Post
...and there we have it. You, as an individual player, are not an arbiter -- let alone the final one -- of who has earned anything, whatsoever, in this game. Definitely not wherein developers have clearly laid out a system in which an arbitrary amount of time and effort put forth by a player, regardless of who that player is or how they have chosen to play, will reward the player and thereby the developers are the final arbiters of who earns what.
Showing up ten times and collecting tokens to buy loot is quite different from having the loot drop from a given boss.

And why in the world can't both systems be used in tandem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodrim View Post
I didn't "earn" a single damn purple my paladin wore, yet time and again I'd get loot priority over ret paladins
How your guild distributed loot is relevant to anything?

If I put in 20 hours into maxing out a reputation grind, what difference does it make if I put in the grind over 2-3 play sessions, versus twenty minutes a day for 60 days? If the former system is so inadequate for failing to meet your needs, how is this system any better for failing to meet my needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodrim View Post
Don't even attempt to lecture me on who earns (or doesn't earn) a damn thing in a game. I think we're done here.
At least I'm trying to discuss an issue, rather than telling you to just leave the game as some other posters might.

Last edited by millimidget; 04-09-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 258
# 55
04-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by millimidget
I'm maxed in both rep systems.

I'm not interested in grinding it a second time, seeing as the game isn't a job and all.

But there's something to be said for weekend warriors who aren't facilitated by the current system, because they don't schedule their lives around the game.
There's also something to be said for incremental progress and delayed gratification. You're not wrong to want what you want; you're wrong to assume others want or should want what you want.

I don't schedule my life around the game either. So it took two months to max my Rep instead of just one. What's preventing you from making slow and steady progress on your second character other than a decision not to?
Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 488
# 56
04-10-2013, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxinvictus View Post
What's preventing you from making slow and steady progress on your second character other than a decision not to?
The decision not to seems sufficient. There was some minute sense of accomplishment in completing the rep grinds the first time, but given that it's all based on time gating whatever sense of accomplishment there was was short lived, because there's not much accomplishment in showing up once a day for fifty days straight.

I wasn't aware that I should track each day in-game as if I was an AA addict counting days of sobriety.

I guess maybe I should, given the potential for the game to be shut down tomorrow, but that seems unlikely in the near future. It also seems fitting in a game so heavily designed around facilitating you parting with your money to fulfill some sort of childhood nerdgasm.

The less time I spend in-game, and the more that time spent in-game revolves around a checklist of daily activities I need to slog through, even if it's just five minutes a day, the less enthused I am to log in at all, and the more I question why I even bother. The truth is, if it wasn't Trek, I wouldn't at all (actually, I wouldn't even have given it the time of day to get to the rep system, even as a F2P).
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:33 AM.