Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Empire Veteran
Greeting All,

I think that Cryptic is really missing the Boat on the revenue that could be generated from the Doff system.

IMO Cryptic should be trying to treat Doffs like a Collectable Trading Card game similar to what's done with Yu-Gi-Oh! Or Magic the Gathering.

With the upcoming release of the Romulan Faction I think now would be a great time for Cryptic to start introducing Doff starter bundles in the Z-Store.

I'll attempt to describe what I think a good base for a Doff "Starter Bundle" could look like here in STO.

I see potential for Cryptic to create three levels of Doff Bundles to offer in the Z-Store.

The 1st could be a Doff Starter Bundle.

Starter Bundle breakdown:

One Very Rare Duty officer (could be random from a select set of special Doffs)

One Uncommon Duty officer (could be random from a select set of special Doffs)

Two Fleet Support like Duty Officer Packs (Could contain Doffs that support a series or theme)

One 25 slot Doff roster booster

One Consumable for a special Doff Mission (Could reward special items or Doffs)

The 2nd could be a Doff Advanced Bundle.

Advanced Bundle Breakdown:

Two Very Rare Duty Officers (could be random from a select set of special Doffs)

One Rare Duty Officer (could be random from a select set of special Doffs)

Three Fleet Support like Duty Officer Packs (Could contain Doffs that support a series or theme)

Two Duty Officer Mini Packs (Could contain Doffs that support a series or theme)

One 50 slot Doff roster booster

Two Consumable for special Doff Missions (Could reward special items or Doffs)

The 3rd could be a Doff Expert Bundle

Expert Bundle Breakdown:

Three Very Rare Duty Officers (could be random from a select set of special Doffs)

Two Rare Duty Officer (could be random from a select set of special Doffs)

Four Fleet Support like Duty Officer Packs (Could contain Doffs that support a series or theme)

Four Duty Officer Mini Packs (Could contain Doffs that support a series or theme)

One 100 slot Doff roster booster

Four Consumable for special Doff Missions (Could reward special items or Doffs)

Another thing that helps companies like Konami and Wizards of the Coast with the sales of their Structure Decks and the like is the seeming sense of value that the product offers.

With the above proposed Bundles I would make sure that the overall price could be seen has less than the sum of the total value of their individual parts and that the Bundles contained Doffs and items that could not be found and any other Doff pack that was being offered.

Here's how I'd try to break down the value of on the items contained in the Doff Bundle and set a price that would make the bundles more enticing to buy to the player over just buying the individual items over time.

Each Very Rare Doff = 100 Zen

Each Rare Doff = 50 Zen

Each Uncommon Doff = 25 Zen

Each Full Duty officer Pack (Fleet like not Faction) = 225 Zen (50 Zen less than buying one pack alone)

Each Mini Duty officer Pack = 50 ZEN

Each Special Consumable Doff mission item = 75

25 Doff roster expansion = 175 Zen (50 Zen Less than buying it alone)

50 Doff roster expansion = 325 Zen (Sounds like a good number)

100 Doff roster expansion = 625 Zen (100 Zen less than buying it alone)

So using the above number the price of the suggested bundles would look like this:

Starter = 600 Zen (pretty good starting price)

Advanced = 1500 Zen (1200 Zen Value priced)

Expert = 2425 (2400 Zen Value priced)

The good thing about dealing with virtual items is there's no overhead so the prices could be even more value set.

Yeah I know its a slow day in my office

I do believe that the above idea has merit and wth a bit of fine tuning could really turn into something.

Thanks for your time!
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
04-12-2013, 01:37 PM
As an avid doffer I'm going to have a skewed perspective of this idea, so my apologies in advance for that.

Firstly I wouldn't be able to buy these without the ability to expand my duty roster by more than 400, which is the same for a lot of people around here. That would make a decent chunk of this worthless for a lot of people - so scratch them.

While Doffs were envisioned, designed and created to be like a trading card game - there are some important differences. I don't think it's right to turn it all into swapping duty officers and everyone having rosters full of the same people. That seems a bit fake and silly for me.

Where I do agree with you is that there aren't enough doff packs in the C-store, completely agree. I'm sure we'll be getting a few Romulan flavoured ones when LoR hits, so that's something at least.
Career Officer
# 3
04-12-2013, 02:16 PM
The 400 roster limit is indeed a problem for many people now. They really need to expand that limit with the LOR launch, but I haven't heard a word from Cryptic that this is even under consideration.
Career Officer
# 4
04-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Thats a rather complete C-Store item list...

Maybe a dev want to look at it...

Of cause I wont be getting any of them, but still.. Not necessarily bad ideas.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Career Officer
# 5
04-12-2013, 02:23 PM
I think starter packs is a good idea, especially when many new characters will be started. Many with existing characters will begin to transfer Starbase doffs or extras over, but there are bound to be less hardcore doffers who want a decent starting roster and are willing to pay for it.

Sure, people can just buy a bunch of doff packs, but why let go of an opportunity to bundle some things just for this purpose? It'll at least grab some attention of potential customers.
Empire Veteran
# 6
04-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by topset View Post
As an avid doffer I'm going to have a skewed perspective of this idea, so my apologies in advance for that.

Firstly I wouldn't be able to buy these without the ability to expand my duty roster by more than 400, which is the same for a lot of people around here. That would make a decent chunk of this worthless for a lot of people - so scratch them.

While Doffs were envisioned, designed and created to be like a trading card game - there are some important differences. I don't think it's right to turn it all into swapping duty officers and everyone having rosters full of the same people. That seems a bit fake and silly for me.

Where I do agree with you is that there aren't enough doff packs in the C-store, completely agree. I'm sure we'll be getting a few Romulan flavoured ones when LoR hits, so that's something at least.
While I see your point about the 400 Doff limit needing to be raised I'd like to point out that most of the good Doffs that we have right now are open to everyone and you'll find that most hardcore Doffers have the same Doffs on their rosters.