Lieutenant
# 1 Plasma and explosions
04-09-2013, 11:33 AM
So I was thinking about this and shouldn't plasma catch fire from an explosion?

For instance, let's say you use Plasma exhaust to stop an enemy ship from moving. But the ship blows up... shouldn't the resulting explosion cause your plasma exhaust to catch fire?

I see this working both ways, against other enemies who are caught in the exhaust and possibly against the ship that created it.

Because if you are still doing this effect when the explosion hits, you'd get hit by the fire as well doing damage.

Thoughts?
Captain
# 2
04-09-2013, 11:36 AM
It might be more realistic to have plasma catch fire but is it better for game play? If ships need to worry about taking damage from venting plasma they'd probably just stop venting plasma.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-09-2013, 01:28 PM
I don't have anything to offer, I just love thecosmic1's signature.
Captain
# 4
04-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Increase the damage of plasma damage MORE?!?!

Plasma is already getting a massive boost from the Romulan set, the Romulan weapons set, Embassy consoles, and other things. Adding an additional splash explode-y firey proc as well?? Not so much.

If it was a specifically a set bonus of some point, a three piece proc bonus for a Romulan anti-borg set (adds a 2.5% proc chance for plasma fire to ignite and cause additional kinetic explosion damage to target and all additional targets within a 3 km range.) THAT would be awesome.

Actually, that would be HECTIC on my current build...
Captain
# 5
04-09-2013, 06:53 PM
An "eject warp plasma" you can detonate is currently the console power that comes with the assault cruiser refit in the form of "metreon gas canisters." It is, however, only able to equip to assault cruisers.
Captain
# 6
04-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanadanat View Post
shouldn't the resulting explosion cause your plasma exhaust to catch fire?
...Plasma shouldn't really catch fire. It would be a bit like water getting wet.
Career Officer
# 7
04-09-2013, 11:01 PM
The plasma is corrosive, but it isn't really combustible.

At least, not as much as you think it is. They're used in conjunction with the coils to generate the warp field, not as actual fuel for a 21st century combustion-style engine.
Republic Veteran
# 8
04-10-2013, 12:31 AM
Metreon gas will do this. Plasma is just a gas-like state of ionized molecules.
# 9
04-10-2013, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoknight89 View Post
...Plasma shouldn't really catch fire. It would be a bit like water getting wet.
^This... Plasma is a state of matter. Fire IS Plasma. Plasma is not a fuel gas or something. It is not flammable it IS the FLAME.
Lieutenant
# 10
04-10-2013, 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasukurobi View Post
^This... Plasma is a state of matter. Fire IS Plasma. Plasma is not a fuel gas or something. It is not flammable it IS the FLAME.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame
"Some flames, such as the flame of a burning candle, are hot enough to have ionized gaseous components and can be considered plasma. This subject is, however, hotly debated."

Plasma used by starships in this game has been said to be at millions of degrees Kelvin, so you shouldn't be using flames for comparison as it is only partially in the state of plasma.

As for the OP - it would make more sense to force ejected warp plasma undergo fusion, but a simple explosion nearby wouldn't be enough, so just forget it.