Career Officer
# 11
04-09-2013, 08:16 PM
Crafting could have been added to the source list of unique modifier warp cores (besides EC, Drop and D-Store). Unfortunately, it seems to have been significantly deprioritized.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-09-2013, 08:16 PM
Do you guys think it would be worth it to craft a full Aegis set to send over to my Romulan character when LoR is released? Cause it scales with level right, and would be effective for a new character perhaps.
Career Officer
# 13
04-09-2013, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by morkargh117 View Post
Do you guys think it would be worth it to craft a full Aegis set to send over to my Romulan character when LoR is released? Cause it scales with level right, and would be effective for a new character perhaps.
Aegis is RA+ only.
Career Officer
# 14
04-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Kits are made from crafting, and are generally cheap to make.

I guess, that's it really.
@HyperLimited
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
Aegis is RA+ only.
And its not really better than the alternatives at that level, so I guess crafting must not be viable much anymore. Especially thanks to the cost of the uncommon unreplicateable materials.
Career Officer
# 16
04-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Aegis is the only decent thing in crafting. And enough people post them on the exchange you don't need to bother leveling your crafting.

Aegis is the 'starter' set for STFs but is a decent all round set to use till you can buy something else.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Starfleet Veteran
# 17
04-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmaker001b View Post
So in essence, Cryptic killed crafting in its infancy.
Pretty much this. However, crafting does not have to remain in the state it's currently in. All Cryptic needs to do is commit to making unique and sought after gear only available via crafting. This would require sitting down and brainstorming some new weapons/kits/armor/shields, which have procs you can't find anywhere else. They could even throw some Ultra Rare items into crafting.

The problem now is that anything/everything new and cool immediately goes into either a Reputation or Fleet store. End game crafting as it is only appeals to those who are not in fleets, do not participate in STFs, and don't do the Rep grinds. It seems that the Aegis set is the only gear keeping crafting going at all, aside from maybe people leveling alts.

Last edited by avantgarde01; 04-09-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Career Officer
# 18
04-09-2013, 11:14 PM
As others have already stated, Cryptic essentially killed crafting with the F2P half-baked overhaul (and basically complete neglect after that) where they attempted to pseudo monetize it. Without a complete top to bottom redesign/overhaul (a full seasons work dedicated to it) crafting will remain basically dead.

Once upon a time Mr. Stahl was interested in doing an complete rework of the crafting system, I wonder if this is still on the drawing board.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-09-2013, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypl View Post
Kits are made from crafting, and are generally cheap to make.

I guess, that's it really.
You can also craft account bound leveling gear which would be nice if we didn't level so fast.
Commander
# 20
04-10-2013, 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spearhawk2013 View Post
am I wasting my time gathering all these materia in my bank?
I think you're playing the wrong game, actually.

But a good game, nonetheless. Arguably one with a longer shelf-life.