Captain
# 1 does F2P dictate power creep?
04-10-2013, 08:54 AM
does F2P dictate power creep? The need for new revenue means new items, especially items that provided a modicum of competitive advantage. Armitage. Jem'Hadar carrier. Etc. Items bought last year are at a disadvantage, and simply holding even requires getting the new stuff. Additional items are constantly introduced, and so the process is constantly continuing along. Ergo, F2P requires power creep. Yes/No?
Captain
# 2
04-10-2013, 08:59 AM
Every game gets power-creep over time whether it's FTP or Subscription. But even then power-creep really only matters in PvP - the comparison between fighting players. Power-creep is meaningless in PvE - the AI is at the whim of the Dev team.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 3
04-10-2013, 09:09 AM
hrm most of the multiplayer games that I have experience with have had very stable balance, most of them get more balanced. Only a couple have had balance become worse. This one seems to escalate with every new feature. I have also seen it happen with other games that use items for revenue boosts, such as battlefield. I suspect that it is a byproduct of the revenue model, and other models put more emphasis on long-term stability.

Last edited by ursusmorologus; 04-10-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Captain
# 4
04-10-2013, 09:12 AM
My experience is the opposite. Most games put in X, and then eventually increase the AI foes to balance the creep from X - or throw a much harder challenge at you because you got X. Given more time games will then put in Y, and then increase the AI foes to balance the creep from Y, and so on.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 5
04-10-2013, 09:14 AM
I dont care about the monsters powercreep. They aren't buying items.
Captain
# 6
04-10-2013, 09:16 AM
As I said, character power-creep is meaningless in PvE - because the Devs simply change the rules for the AIs. MMOs constantly give you better and better items, and then change how you need to use them.

Power-creep only maters in PvP - where individual characters need to be somewhat balanced against each other.
Captain
# 7
04-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
As I said, character power-creep is meaningless in PvE - because the Devs simply change the rules for the AIs. MMOs constantly give you better and better items, and then change how you need to use them.

Power-creep only maters in PvP - where individual characters need to be somewhat balanced against each other.
That's not true. Players are rewarded for being best, against all target types. Otherwise nobody would care about the better items.

Wells vs Vesta vs that Vulcan sci ship, for example. In reverse chronological order, I believe.
Career Officer
# 8
04-10-2013, 09:22 AM

Last edited by zerobang; 04-10-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Captain
# 9
04-10-2013, 09:25 AM
Money talks.

Only a fool would spend money on an inferior item, so the devs are forced to create superior items that players will spend money on.

To the Q: NO, even if STO was P2P the devs would still need to create items that sell. (see above)
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $27 to upgrade my Kamarag ?

Last edited by lordmalak1; 04-10-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
04-10-2013, 09:26 AM
There was quite a bit of power creep in the game before F2P came along. The number of C-store ships has been increasing, but there were plenty of them before F2P. The weapon drain change early on, level cap increase, the addition of a DPS bonus for each quality level, unique weapons and sets, the ground combat overhaul, duty officers (these were announced long before F2P even though they were released right before the transition).

The reputation system added some more, and the trait system is going to be quite a bit, but it's just continuing a trend that started at launch, it's not a trend of its own.
Closed Thread