Career Officer
# 21
04-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Except that we've already been told how Romulans are being rolled out and we've been told why, and they aren't going to change it. Not now, not in May, and probably not two years from now.

So if every single bit of your proposal is dependent on changing that, I guess there's nothing left to talk about.
Wow. Check the attitude. If you look back a few posts, you'll see that I stated these were suggestions on a direction to head AFTER Legacy of Romulus has played out. I'm not expecting Cryptic to scrap something they've been working on for months and plan to launch in weeks, in favor of something different.

But the game DOES evolve over time. These are a series of suggestions on how it COULD evolve. And player community involvement in a dialogue with the developers can help in that evolution process, perhaps suggesting ideas that hadn't been thought of or considered before. Your seemingly high-handed tactics here only serve to shut down that communication process. And you're a Community Moderator?

See my suggestions to revamp playable factions at: FACTION REVAMP: A PROPOSAL TO CRYPTIC STUDIOS
Career Officer
# 22
04-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyranger1414 View Post
Like most things he's keeping it a future possibility without promising anything, and like most things Cryptic keeps future possibilities it will likely never happen. I can't imagine what kind of PR damage control meetings are going on at Cryptic, they have been choosing their words even more carefully than ever lately. I can only assume it seems to have borne fruit since so many people are believing its a definite future development when in fact its never been stated as such. I can only imagine Cryptic was expecting to be hyping up other aspects of theirs "Xpac" at this point in time instead of running PR damage control.
They have to be careful what they say. It seems many people take simple statements made by Cryptic about ideas they have, as set in stone plans of things that will definitely be done, when it was never said to be so. They can't afford to speculate publicly or dream out loud, the players take such musings as facts and then rage when it doesn't happen.

See my suggestions to revamp playable factions at: FACTION REVAMP: A PROPOSAL TO CRYPTIC STUDIOS

Last edited by baddmoonrizin; 04-12-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Rihannsu
# 23
04-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Great-Googly-Moogly, thats a Great (Wall of) China (Text) right thur...
Captain
# 24
04-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddmoonrizin View Post
Is there a 140 character limit to posts listed somewhere that I'm missing?
No. I was just noting. I almost didn't read it myself, except that I'm interested in ideas people have for making the Romulans an actual faction.

What about my response to your idea for faction ships buffs (making them specific ship or trait bonuses)? I was thinking something like traits that are only available to the factions - so, they would be optional, but provide a nice enough bonus that it would take some thinking whether to include it or one of the standard traits.
Career Officer
# 25
04-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Except that we've already been told how Romulans are being rolled out and we've been told why, and they aren't going to change it. Not now, not in May, and probably not two years from now.

So if every single bit of your proposal is dependent on changing that, I guess there's nothing left to talk about.

EDIT:

Yep, definitely done talking. You obviously don't want criticism.
Actually, I have no problem with CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, which this is not. This is more along the lines of "nothing's changing, never will, so shut up" - an attempt at shutting down any kind of open dialogue and invalidate someone else's opinion or suggestion. As a Community Moderator, I must say, I find your behavior surprising.

I'll say again: These ideas are just suggestions on how STO might evolve in the future AFTER Legacy of Romulus. This is not an attack on Cryptic or Legacy of Romulus, so I don't know why you got all defensive in the first place.

And to suggest that I don't want criticism simply because I made the observation that your words fly in the face of what it means to be a moderator, does nothing more than to point out that you yourself cannot handle criticism.

But if you don't want to talk, that's fine. No one's forcing you. However, I welcome anyone who wishes an open dialogue and has anything constructive to say.

Career Officer
# 26
04-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by felderburg View Post
No. I was just noting. I almost didn't read it myself, except that I'm interested in ideas people have for making the Romulans an actual faction.

What about my response to your idea for faction ships buffs (making them specific ship or trait bonuses)? I was thinking something like traits that are only available to the factions - so, they would be optional, but provide a nice enough bonus that it would take some thinking whether to include it or one of the standard traits.
I know. Sorry. It's just... yes, I know it's A LOT of text. And I explained in an earlier post that it's all here to make it easier to find rather than scattered around in a dozen different posts. It's just frustrating sometimes that some people's attention can't be held longer than a nanosecond. Anyway...

I do believe, though, that the Romulans are indeed an actual faction. They're just dependent on the other two factions in game right now. I hope to see them moved toward independence at some point in time, so that these ideas could be used. The idea of factions having certain strengths and weaknesses sort of hinges on having that third independent faction. And it's not impossible that that could happen.

The idea about ship buffs/debuffs would play into the faction strengths/weaknesses: a Klingon would find flying a Tactical ship more natural than flying a Science ship, hence the buff/debuff depending on which type of ship he's in. And obviously, he wouldn't have the ship buff/debuff when he's on the ground.

Your idea about traits sounds like something that would come into play at character creation, though. Not sure how that might come into play with the new advanced trait system that's coming out with Legacy of Romulus.