Captain
# 11
04-11-2013, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post
Not much I guess.

What does he know about the B'rel ? 100% completely nothing... ask him what his klink toons name is.

Seriously he was going on about how shocked he was about how many people didn't have heavy insulator spend around 2 months ago....

I guess something changed since then ?
I actually have 2 kinks.

I don't play them as much but I have a nice lvl 50 sci toon in trying to figure what to do with for the past 2 years and a tac guy I sorta have up on when the grinding became real bad.

Seriously.

My answer still stands, tachyon beam is not worth the slot. Any other power would be better if he takes only one shield stripping power in his build. Cpb has more value.

Now if he's going pure science shield stripping he's in the wrong ship.

And yes, shield stripping can be deadly but you have to remember my shield stripping was with 5 consoles at +30 each and the skill tree filled and the maco deflector (I think it adds a tiny bit too) that's over 200 in flow caps using 3 powers and pets to get a mildly effective shield stripper.

So like I said, tachyon beam by itself is not worth it. If its tachyon beam 3 a better shield drain combo is tractor beam 3 and a very rare shield drain doff. It will drain about the same and hold the target still
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?

Last edited by maicake716; 04-11-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Captain
# 12
04-11-2013, 03:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716 View Post
I actually have 2 kinks.

I don't play them as much but I have a nice lvl 50 sci toon in trying to figure what to do with for the past 2 years and a tac guy I sorta have up on when the grinding became real bad.

Seriously.

My answer still stands, tachyon beam is not worth the slot. Any other power would be better if he takes only one shield stripping power in his build. Cpb has more value.

Now if he's going pure science shield stripping he's in the wrong ship.

And yes, shield stripping can be deadly but you have to remember my shield stripping was with 5 consoles at +30 each and the skill tree filled and the maco deflector (I think it adds a tiny bit too) that's over 200 in flow caps using 3 powers and pets to get a mildly effective shield stripper.

So like I said, tachyon beam by itself is not worth it. If its tachyon beam 3 a better shield drain combo is tractor beam 3 and a very rare shield drain doff. It will drain about the same and hold the target still
Didn't realize you had any klinkers... my bad. Sorry lol You should get them out more often. Even with out the rep its not to big a deal in a bop.

I do agree with you of the 2 CPB is better its instant and aoe.

The tachyon... its not perfect... but its a bit of extra drain and if all you have is torps it can be nice to have.

Your right though he could slot a VM a GW a SS and get good effect as well.

On the tractor your likely right... I suspect somewhere along the line that doff got messed up. I remember when it first came out it did a bit of strip but wasn't insane. Lately I could swear its pulling at least double what it used to.
When the messenger comes to appropriate your profits ... kill the messenger.
Career Officer
# 13
04-11-2013, 04:30 AM
LOL dunno what people call good damage but i got rid of this power when they insulted my intelligence with the cannon power from the Kumari. This thing is worthless even in PVE and everyone has power insulators don't let them fool you.
MMO's of 2014 where normal gameplay is considered an exploit and the eastern billing model is celebrated by apologists. smh
Commander
# 14
04-11-2013, 04:33 AM
of course it doesn't worth, power insulators reduces the skills by half, not to talk about deflectors and gear passives, your cpb 3 with 125 aux will only drain some shield against a bop, you should instead bet on energy drain
it's not the ship or the build, it's the atitude
Captain
# 15
04-11-2013, 04:42 AM
Shield resists reduce weapon dmg by a heck of a lot more then half.

Hull resists reduce kinetic dmg even more then that

Somehow though sci should be immune to resists ? 50% isn't that bad... it could be worse people could have sheild and hull type resists to sci dmg.

Bottom line this thread is about someone running a torp brel... which means they DON"T have any energy weapons... and they are not planning to decloak.

There for they have 2 options to try to remove shields.

Shield Drain or power Drain.

Shield drain is resisted at most 50%....

Power Drain is completely removed by hazards...

So really of the 2 options how many does he really have.

The third option is to simply never ever fly alone... and just spit torps in to facings other people drop for him.

Nothing stopping him from having 2 boffs ready to go... and swapping some more sci annoyance in when he is flying with friends.

There is no point in debating Tachyon being strong or not strong... its a skill that works sometimes and doesn't others... just like every other skill. They all have counters. (as much as some players want it ... we can't go back to there being zero counters to CPB)

I fly a brel with both strips... and it works just fine. Yes some targets I know I can't solo with my brel... so what. If I could solo anyone in it anytime it would be boring... kinda like flying my bug.
Career Officer
# 16
04-11-2013, 04:48 AM
Why would one want to fly a B'rel with only torps? To be annoying? Adding a BO or two makes the B'rel so much better.
Behold, The Jorf Guide
Commander
# 17
04-11-2013, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post
Shield resists reduce weapon dmg by a heck of a lot more then half
you weapons can do 2k DPS

not 2k shield dmg per 30 seconds, if of course, you can keep your tachyon beam in the 45 arc all the way on

shield strip sucks, dont bs us
Captain
# 18
04-11-2013, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
Why would one want to fly a B'rel with only torps? To be annoying? Adding a BO or two makes the B'rel so much better.
Because you can... and frankly if you really want to bol things to death fly a norg.

Yes the op is talking about a full on torp boat.
Captain
# 19
04-11-2013, 05:29 AM
If the -TurnRate DOff was actually worth a poop, then Tachyon Beam might be pretty nifty.
The first we heard of getting new PvP maps "soon" was in August of 2010. We're consistently told something will be coming with the "next" update. Absolutely nothing has come to PvP since launch.

I think it's finally time Cryptic stopped stringing us along, don't you?
Commander
# 20
04-11-2013, 05:47 AM
shield drain is too low ..., youd rather use tractor beam with the shield drain boff, for the 360 arc advantage