Lt. Commander
# 1 Greetings
04-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Dinoyipi here. I've been playing STO for about a month now. My main Federation character (pictured in avatar) is Vice Admiral Anplor, a Tengamite (alien) Science officer whose species hails from Polaris, a galaxy known to ancient Terrans as the "North Star". I also have a Klingon character named Rameod, who's a Walkivian (i liek aliens) Tactical officer who also comes from Polaris, but I don't play him as much, and he's only level 44. Anplor's ship is the U.S.S. Lodestone, a Reconnaissance Science vessel; and Rameod prefers the I.K.S. Cha'zak, a Qin Heavy Raptor.

A fair warning: I don't really play STO competitively, so you aren't likely to see me going out of my way to get the highest DPS possible or the best possible BOff ability configuration; I just play it to play it. For instance, when choosing my traits for Anplor, I chose the traits that made sense for the type of character I had in mind (Telekinetic, Warp Theorist, Astrophysicist and Techie, if my memory serves correctly)
Captain
# 2
04-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Career Officer
# 3
04-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Welcome.

Don't worry too much about your traits, they will be getting redone in the upcoming expansion. I'm rather looking forward to it.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009

It's time for STO to get a complete UI overhaul.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
04-11-2013, 10:18 AM
On your second paragraph: There's people who'll flip out about stuff like that, but they can be safely ignored. As long as you're not running rainbow beams, nobody can really tell enough about your build except to judge by results. And by game design and power creep, the results don't require you to be maximizing the depth of the game's systems.

I do basically the same thing. I run a quaint old setup (DBB, 2xDHC, quantum fore, 2xturret and whatever I feel like aft) that most people consider inviable since tactical team went from useless to must-have, and at this point have universal consoles in all my non-tactical slots because the whole thing creates a complex ability-heavy play style and puts on a visually impressive display. It's an unambiguously mediocre build, but it puts out enough damage and can take enough beating to carry weak groups.

Last edited by hevach; 04-11-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Career Officer
# 5
04-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Welcome to the forums. I'd like to hear more about your two alien races if you want to share. =)
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Ensign
# 6
04-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Welcome to the Trek the toppled the Wars
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post
Welcome to the forums. I'd like to hear more about your two alien races if you want to share. =)
I was hoping somebody would ask. Ready for an earful?

Anplor's homeworld Tengam has an extremely strong magnetic field; about five times that of Earth despite the planets being roughly the same size. As such, Tengamite technology revolves heavily around magnetic forces. The species is telekinetic; the more metal in an object, the easier time they have manipulating it. They also have technopathic powers, allowing them to be very in-touch with their technology.

A Starfleet Captain named Hezekiah Arksmith (I will eventually create this character in STO) made first contact with the Tengamites in 2407, when his ship discovered a wormhole that led to Polaris. With the Tengamites having a diplomatic mindset, they were offered Federation membership. Although the race as a whole did not join, a handful of them came back with Arksmith to the Milky Way to join Starfleet, Anplor among them.

(Walkivian info is still WIP) The Walkivians are a warrior race not unlike the Klingons that also originate in the Polaris galaxy. They have a deep-seated rivalry with the peace-preferring Tengamites. One day, a Walkivian starship commander named Rameod chased a Tengamite scout through the wormhole. When Rameod attacked, nearby Starfleet vessels came to the scout's aid. Outmanned, he was forced to retreat and ended up in Klingon space. Shortly thereafter, Rameod helped the Klingons defeat a Federation battleship out of revenge. Impressed by Rameod's warrior spirit and hatred for the Federation, Rameod was offered citizenship in the Empire, which he gladly accepted.